"First Man" Any Thoughts?

Old November 7th 05, 05:06 AM
Skylon

Default "First Man" Any Thoughts?

Anyone read the new bio on Neil Armstrong, "First Man" and have any
thoughts? Is it worth the read?

-A.L.

Old November 7th 05, 12:52 PM
Andy G

Yes it's worth the read

Cheers

Andy

oups.com...

Old November 7th 05, 01:59 PM
gb

"Skylon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone read the new bio on Neil Armstrong, "First Man" and have any
thoughts? Is it worth the read?

-A.L.

About halfway through ....

enjoy reading his recollections of his high school and college (Purdue)
experiences (e.g. plane crash at local airstrip, changes from piston to jet
power, trip to Glenview Naval Air Station.).

The practical parts of his engineering training - and how it changed (after
he finished).

gb

Old November 7th 05, 10:31 PM
Boggs SpaceBooks

"Skylon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone read the new bio on Neil Armstrong, "First Man" and have any
thoughts? Is it worth the read?

It's an amazing read--well researched and written. We had the privilege of
having Dr. Hansen in our office last week to sign copies and it was a
pleasure to discuss Armstrong. We believe this is one of the very best if
not the best astronaut biography to date. BTW, this is not hype!
Donald & Tamara Boggs
Boggs SpaceBooks
672 E. 500 N.
Anderson, IN 46012 U.S.A.
765-649-3211 voice or fax
http://www.boggsspace.com

Old November 7th 05, 11:02 PM
The Thunder Child

It's an amazing read--well researched and written.

Armstrong was on 60 Minutes yesterday, for about ten minutes or so, and
that was disappointing. His interview with Ed Bradley covered nothing
new, and was probably just an opportunity for him to hype his book.

Not that he *shouldn't'* hype his book, I was just disappointed that
this particular interview was so lacking, considering 60 Minutes
reputation....

Caroline
Science and Sanity Blog - http://thethunderchild.blogspot.com
The Thunder Child Journal - http://thethunderchild.omnivoreink.com

Old November 8th 05, 01:28 AM
collectSPACE

If you are in the Houston area, you are invited to meet the author at a
lecture and Q&A session:

James R. Hansen, author of the authorized biography "First Man: The
Life of Neil A. Armstrong," will present a lecture about working with
the first moonwalker at the Clear Lake City-County Freeman Branch
Library on Saturday, November 12th, at 1:00 PM. Following the talk in
the first-floor Community Room, Hansen will answer questions from the
audience and sign copies of his book. Seating is on a first-come,
first-served basis. All library programs and events are free and open
to the public. Presented by the Friends of Freeman and collectSPACE.

Hansen will also be signing copies of "First Man" at Rocket Town Space
Sounvenirs & More later on Saturday from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. For details,
see www.rocket-town.com

--
Robert Pearlman, Editor
collectSPACE - The Source for Space History & Artifacts

Old November 8th 05, 04:25 AM
Rand Simberg

On 7 Nov 2005 15:02:37 -0800, in a place far, far away, "The Thunder
Child" made the phosphor on my

It's an amazing read--well researched and written.

Armstrong was on 60 Minutes yesterday, for about ten minutes or so, and
that was disappointing. His interview with Ed Bradley covered nothing
new, and was probably just an opportunity for him to hype his book.

Not that he *shouldn't'* hype his book, I was just disappointed that
this particular interview was so lacking, considering 60 Minutes
reputation....

You mean their reputation for blindsiding interviewees and faking
documents to promote their own partisan agenda?
Old November 8th 05, 05:53 AM
Ed Kyle

The Thunder Child wrote:
It's an amazing read--well researched and written.

Armstrong was on 60 Minutes yesterday, for about ten minutes or so, and
that was disappointing. His interview with Ed Bradley covered nothing
new, and was probably just an opportunity for him to hype his book.

Not that he *shouldn't'* hype his book, I was just disappointed that
this particular interview was so lacking, considering 60 Minutes
reputation....

Neil Armstrong doesn't need to hype his book. He isn't
getting any money from it. Much of the profit will go toward
the construction of a new engineering building at his (and my)
Alma Mater.

- Ed Kyle

Old November 9th 05, 12:03 AM
gb

"Ed Kyle" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Thunder Child wrote:
It's an amazing read--well researched and written.

Armstrong was on 60 Minutes yesterday, for about ten minutes or so, and
that was disappointing. His interview with Ed Bradley covered nothing
new, and was probably just an opportunity for him to hype his book.

Not that he *shouldn't'* hype his book, I was just disappointed that
this particular interview was so lacking, considering 60 Minutes
reputation....

Neil Armstrong doesn't need to hype his book. He isn't
getting any money from it. Much of the profit will go toward
the construction of a new engineering building at his (and my)
Alma Mater.

- Ed Kyle

I also see the new IEEE president is a Purdue professor.

Wasn't McDonnell Corporation in St. Louis a Purdue campus :-)
in the late 1950s and early 1960s?

gb