Ham radio to the station

Old February 3rd 09, 07:47 AM posted to sci.space.station
John Doe

Default Ham radio to the station

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) had a report on monday evening
about a Toronto school having developped the ability to talk to the ISS.
a world first and on a small budget. In the end, it was mentioned it
was ham radio.

Isn't this something which the ISS crews have done from almost the start
of the station, allowing schools to talk to them with any regular ham
radio ?

Was was the event discussed by the CBC truly a world first with some new
technology ?
Old February 3rd 09, 09:24 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

I doubt it, they had ham radio on Mir.
Its very handy to get rid of boredom I imagine as well.
They also have a 2M repeater on board as I've heard the downlink here in the
UK.
Maybe the Canadian station is cobbled together out of bits and pieces. It
would be very educational to make aerials for example. I learnt a lot obout
transmissiion lines impedence matching and how parasitic elements work doing
this.

Brian

Email:

Old February 3rd 09, 01:12 PM posted to sci.space.station
André, PE1PQX

Brian Gaff heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :

"John Doe" wrote in message
CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) had a report on monday evening
about a Toronto school having developped the ability to talk to the ISS.
a world first and on a small budget. In the end, it was mentioned it
was ham radio.

Isn't this something which the ISS crews have done from almost the start
of the station, allowing schools to talk to them with any regular ham
radio ?

Was was the event discussed by the CBC truly a world first with some new
technology ?

Check
http://www.rac.ca/ariss/ and the answer is near...

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old February 3rd 09, 01:33 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

But not typong well as you can tell.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
om...

Old February 3rd 09, 03:00 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"John Doe" wrote in message
CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) had a report on monday evening
about a Toronto school having developped the ability to talk to the ISS.
a world first and on a small budget. In the end, it was mentioned it
was ham radio.

Isn't this something which the ISS crews have done from almost the start
of the station, allowing schools to talk to them with any regular ham
radio ?

I believe that this was also done on Mir and perhaps other Salyut stations.

http://www.tcoek12.org/~tcarc/mirtv.html

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson

Old February 3rd 09, 05:09 PM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

John Doe wrote:

Was was the event discussed by the CBC truly a world first with some new
technology ?

No it wasn't a world first. Not even close.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/