Sweet, sweet STS-122 pics...

Old February 16th 08, 03:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Joseph S. Powell, III

Default Sweet, sweet STS-122 pics...

This is my favorite NASA photo Gallery - lots of great photos of missions
(hit Index) with different sized JPG files to choose from....this one goes
straight to STS-122 (it's always exciting when they attach another lab) :

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/.../ndxpage1.html

Old February 16th 08, 05:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:33:30 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III"
wrote:

This is my favorite NASA photo Gallery - lots of great photos of missions
(hit Index) with different sized JPG files to choose from....this one goes
straight to STS-122 (it's always exciting when they attach another lab) :

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/.../ndxpage1.html

There are a few nice photos here, but not many.

Unfortunately, STS-122 is another one of those Shuttle flights where
no one on the crew has any sort of photographic aptitude. Poor
exposure control. Poor framing. Generally, just very little thought
going into taking the photos. This isn't a consequence of being busy
astronauts... other, busier flights have produced spectacular photos.
Most of the STS-122 photos suck. (Either that or PAO is doing a
wretched job choosing which ones go in the gallery.)

You can tell when someone on a Shuttle crew has a talent for
photography, and it is a breath of fresh air when they do.

STS-122 isn't one of them.

Brian
Old February 16th 08, 05:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Joseph S. Powell, III

wrote:

[...]

....So which missions would you say qualify for the best photos taken?

Old February 16th 08, 07:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:39:16 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III"
wrote:

You can tell when someone on a Shuttle crew has a talent for
photography, and it is a breath of fresh air when they do.

...So which missions would you say qualify for the best photos taken?

I'd have to go back and look to remember which was which. But STS-118
was the standout in the last year or so.

Brian
Old February 23rd 08, 07:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

The PAO is interested only in pandering to folk who just want to
see 'tourist' photos and nothing else: you know, astronauts grinning
as they gaze out the window - like, they'd be doing anything else??
STS 122 - I notice no shots showing Atlantis approaching ISS
full-frame, just close-ups taken with either a 400 or 800mm lens.
This is like viewing the Mona Lisa with your nose pressed up hard
against the canvas. Doesn't really give you much of a view.
The same thing happened with STS 116. All you'll get from that
flight is video footage of the RPM manouvre - no digital stills of the
shuttle on approach showing the spacecraft in its entirety...
HSF pics often skip good ones and present rubbish. A friend at
Media Relations sent me some lovely shots of STS 98 on final approach
- yet on the HSF site we get a cropped version instead:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...iss01e6128.jpg
Weird!