ASTRO: Helluva CCD chip

Old February 23rd 04, 01:41 AM
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: Helluva CCD chip

Check this out:

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/main/area_486.htm

or for sheer size:

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/main/area_595.htm

can you imagine a 3+ inches per side 81 megapixel sensor?

Zowie, that must be one expensive chip.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:35 PM
Dennis Persyk

I like my dinky little MX716 camera because it reads out all 361 K
pixels in about 5 seconds. The readout time on that Fairchild beast
is 5.6 minutes. Heck, you could almost develop a roll of film in that
time. Besides, what do you do with 15 micron pixels?

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL

Old February 24th 04, 02:26 AM
Richard Crisp

"Dennis Persyk" wrote in message
m...
I like my dinky little MX716 camera because it reads out all 361 K
pixels in about 5 seconds. The readout time on that Fairchild beast
is 5.6 minutes. Heck, you could almost develop a roll of film in that
time. Besides, what do you do with 15 micron pixels?

I use 24x24 micron pixels in my Dream Machine camera (TK1024 sensor,
1024x1024, ~1" on a side) on my c14 at 4430mm focal length. I like the
results I get with it.

here are a few samples:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...la_ha_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...ha_n2_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...close_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...m_sii_page.htm

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...hao3b_page.htm

etc

I think big pixels are great. They are really fast. With my C14 and my AO7
used with the beam splitter, the 24x24 micron pixels of the TK1024 work
fine.

Old February 24th 04, 03:14 AM
matt

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
Check this out:

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/main/area_486.htm

or for sheer size:

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/main/area_595.htm

can you imagine a 3+ inches per side 81 megapixel sensor?

Zowie, that must be one expensive chip.

the 81Mp is probably more of a compromise than the 16MP , due to the smaller
pixel size. Most very large professional cameras seem to use around 13-15um
pixel sizes, like the QUEST , OMEGA Prime etc .
As far as cost goes, I'd be surprised if a couple of 81MP chips cost more
than a whole mosaic of 115MP made up of 2MP chips .