ESA flubs Titan Landing show

Old January 15th 05, 08:48 PM
Ken

Default ESA flubs Titan Landing show

After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I somewhat agree
with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

Old January 15th 05, 09:03 PM
Steven Van Impe

Ken wrote:

After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I
somewhat agree with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

So, for you the headline is that ESA did a bad job with the broadcast
(and oh yeah, they landed on Titan as well)? I agree completely that
the PR on this mission could have been a lot better, but we _did_ land
a probe on a moon of Saturn!

ESA is largely governed by politicians, so it's only natural that we
do our best to please them. In the US, Space missions are made or
broken by the television audience, so NASA does their best to please
the media. A live broadcast of the Huygens decent would get next to no
attention on any European tv channel. There's no reason for ESA to
prioritize live broadcasts. It's sad, and I wish it were different,
but that's how it is.

Regards,
Steven
Old January 15th 05, 09:12 PM
Ken

I don't mean to diminish what the ESA did. What a feat! Congrats to the ESA
for their accomplishments, my only gripe was the lack of images. It would
have been spectacular if we could have seen the images as they rolled in.
Even now, I think there's a lack of images being released.

Old January 15th 05, 09:14 PM
md

"Ken" wrote in message ...
After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I somewhat agree
with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

oh come one, be a good sport and enjoy this succes of non-US project.

Old January 15th 05, 09:21 PM
Ken

I know, it sounds kind of bad, us Americans complaining about coverage of
what was an absolute success! I just wish there were more images and less
"patting on the back".

Old January 15th 05, 09:21 PM
Scott M. Kozel

"Ken" wrote:

After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I somewhat agree
with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

The Voyagers and Galileo transmitted photos directly to Earth.

Huygens had to upload all the data to Cassini, and the Cassini
transmitted photos to Earth. A much slower process overall...

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Old January 15th 05, 09:29 PM
md

"Ken" wrote in message ...
I know, it sounds kind of bad, us Americans complaining about coverage of
what was an absolute success! I just wish there were more images and less
"patting on the back".

to that, I agree.

to be honest: throughout the cassini mission, I missed the images.

Old January 15th 05, 09:38 PM
Ioannis

md wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message ...

After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I somewhat agree
with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

oh come one, be a good sport and enjoy this succes of non-US project.

Ditto! And in terms of computational complexity (accuracy
notwithstanding!!!), timed event prediction and gravitational expertise,
the ESA is ahead of everybody now, by, say, what, the ratio between the
distance to Titan, and the distance to Mars? :-)
--
I. N. G. --- http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/

Old January 15th 05, 10:21 PM
Ioannis

John Steinberg wrote:

Ioannis wrote:

Ditto! And in terms of computational complexity (accuracy
notwithstanding!!!), timed event prediction and gravitational expertise,
the ESA is ahead of everybody now, by, say, what, the ratio between the
distance to Titan, and the distance to Mars? :-)

*Cough* Kudos to the ESA and Huygens -- which among its six instruments
is one developed at the University of Arizona, USA.

Oh, come one, John. Do you expect most technology to stay in the USA for
ever? If you don't export it, how will you get the wonderful buck? :-)

If you don't want your technology "exported", you should shut down all
the schools that accept foreign students, like me :-P

Just so happens to be the instrument responsible for the imaging. :-P

I'll take your word for it, but the end result counts :-P

--
I. N. G. --- http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/

Old January 15th 05, 10:23 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Ken wrote:

After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I somewhat agree
with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

I agree too. They way I'd put it is that I didn't think it impossible
that anybody could do a worse job than NASA TV! Just as bad--yes, but
worse? Oh my.

Am I the only one who noticed the panelists at the first press
conference play dumb when the reporters asked repeatedly about the
consequences of the loss of the B channel? On the other hand, I saw the
MER people pull the same thing once. Regardless, it is sort of painful
to watch these really smart people pretend to be dullards!

Note for my thin-skinned Euro friends: this is just some friendly
criticism of the broadcast/event only; it has nothing at all to do with
the very successful mission itself! Please don't infer otherwise.