Future Space War

Old March 14th 04, 12:03 AM
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Default Future Space War

"Abrigon Gusiq" wrote in message
I know a bit like science fiction, but what is the plans and doctrine
with dealing with space related warfare?
Especially now that China (PRC) is working on a consistant manned
presense in space, with a possible space station in the next 5-10 years.

Having seen the US station FUBAR Spacehole One I doubt they'll want to copy
that mistake.
They'll go straight for a moonbase.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org

Old March 14th 04, 12:52 AM
Andrew Swallow

"Abrigon Gusiq" wrote in message
I know a bit like science fiction, but what is the plans and doctrine
with dealing with space related warfare?
Especially now that China (PRC) is working on a consistant manned
presense in space, with a possible space station in the next 5-10 years.

As well as the possible access to space by more than the current access.
Namely instead of just Soyuz/Shuttle, but a possible X-prize winner or
like?

Examples being: What if someone attacked and took over the International
Space Station?

Or someone found ways to get to the asteroid belt and start throwing
rocks?

Or just that an asteroid was in route to hit earth? How would we deal
with it, other than to take it in the chin?

Here is what the French and the Germans claim to be doing.
http://www.launchers.eads.net/ballis...tree=84&tree_n
ame=EADS_ST_WEB_PAGES&langue=en

Andrew Swallow

Old March 14th 04, 12:55 AM
Ian Stirling

In sci.military.moderated Abrigon Gusiq wrote:
I know a bit like science fiction, but what is the plans and doctrine
with dealing with space related warfare?
Especially now that China (PRC) is working on a consistant manned
presense in space, with a possible space station in the next 5-10 years.

As well as the possible access to space by more than the current access.
Namely instead of just Soyuz/Shuttle, but a possible X-prize winner or
like?

Examples being: What if someone attacked and took over the International
Space Station?

Considerable laughter.
The ISS is not a military asset.

Or someone found ways to get to the asteroid belt and start throwing
rocks?

For the near term, it's not practical.
An ICBM, or many is so, so much cheaper.

Massive retalliation on the host country is certain.
Unless you've got a self-sustaining independant insane colony in an
unknown location, or a wacko with several dozen-hundred nuclear weapons
and an unmonitored interplanetary ship.
Neither of these is likely to happen for some
very long time.

Or just that an asteroid was in route to hit earth? How would we deal
with it, other than to take it in the chin?

The basic way seems to be to get several-many nuclear weapons out there
as fast as possible.
The more weapons and the more time you have, the more it can be diverted.
Having years is good.
Centuries is great.

The basic idea is to blow up the bomb around a radius or so from the
asteroid, and flash-vapourise the surface of the asteroid.
This then boils off almost instantly, and pushes the asteroid the other
way.
Repeat until course misses earth.
Old March 14th 04, 07:33 AM
Abrigon Gusiq

One of the ideas was how are we to build some sort of sensor network, so
as we can better detect incoming threats to earth, mostly asteroids. How
many sensor satellites would it take to give a good coverage of the
likely avenues of a killer asteroid?

Any thing that can be made to make the US/Nasa a laughing stock, or just
make them look bad in the news is a target.. It it why wacko people like
Osama do the things they do..
How far would the ISS towards the surface woult it get, if it was to
come down right now
Alot of things these days is face saving..
Also I strongly suspect, the ISS can be and maybe used to spy on the
surface.. Which makes it a possible military target.

Orbit the ultimate high ground?

Besides you have a multimillion dollar satellite in orbit, if someone
was to threaten it, either by capturing it, or destroying/diabling it,
you would want to be able to keep this from happening?

After all, from what I understand, the current US military system to
keep track of who is the good guys is based via satellites, if you can
take out the satellites, would it cripple the system, or just be an
annoyance? Also ways to gather intelligence is heavily satellite based.
If you could fire a missle into space, that is directed to take out
satellites? Wouldn't you want to keep this from happening?

True, the moon or like is a better place for a base for many reasons.
Easier to get off of it, to send things out into space?

I am talking several dozen rocks? I know not likely to be Feasible for a
while, but heh, some of the people who are against the US, are far from
poor people, with rich friends, but know they can not win a conventional
war, and terrorism is limited. Yes, setting off a nuke is a possible
natural progression, but it sets bad precedences, and is economically
not a good idea, as well as likely to bring swift and terrible
retribution. Glass bowl?

It is like the debate in like 2000, about, if someone was to want to
bring down the Golden Gate Bridge, and then 2002 came around, and
someone actually thought someone might do it..

IF anything, is there plans in the works to get people up into orbit
fast, and then down with something other than the shuttle. Some way that
would make evacuation of the ISS or like alot easier than currently
piling into a Soyuz lift boat and dropping to earth?
German/French efforts seems interesting..

If the Soyuz is our only plan, then we need to come up with alot better
plans, how large is the ISS supposed to get? How many ways can it be
breached by accident? Would you like to leave a fellow behnd just cause
they could not get to the life boat?

Heh, I live in Alaska, if Korea or like was to want to nuke the US, I am
on the flight plan, not a great comfort.

Mike
Old March 14th 04, 07:52 AM
Bootstrap Bill

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Or just that an asteroid was in route to hit earth? How would we deal
with it, other than to take it in the chin?

The basic way seems to be to get several-many nuclear weapons out there
as fast as possible.
The more weapons and the more time you have, the more it can be diverted.
Having years is good.
Centuries is great.

The basic idea is to blow up the bomb around a radius or so from the
asteroid, and flash-vapourise the surface of the asteroid.
This then boils off almost instantly, and pushes the asteroid the other
way.
Repeat until course misses earth.

What if it were discovered that a Moon sized asteroid were on a collision
course with Earth, and would arrive in 25 years? Would we have enough time
to evacuate anyone? Could we establish a sizeable O'neal colony jin that
amount of time?

Old March 14th 04, 03:36 PM
Karl Hallowell

"Dirk Bruere at Neopax" wrote in message ...
"Abrigon Gusiq" wrote in message
I know a bit like science fiction, but what is the plans and doctrine
with dealing with space related warfare?
Especially now that China (PRC) is working on a consistant manned
presense in space, with a possible space station in the next 5-10 years.

Having seen the US station FUBAR Spacehole One I doubt they'll want to copy
that mistake.
They'll go straight for a moonbase.

Why? They should be able to demonstrate a large space station at a
fraction of the cost of ISS. Sounds like a cheaper political victory
than going to the Moon. They have to avoid the cost plus structure of
NASA bidding, the multilateral approach, and the constant redesigning
of the space station. If they can do that, then they should be able to
embarrass NASA quite handily.

Karl Hallowell

Old March 14th 04, 09:08 PM
EAC

Abrigon Gusiq wrote in message ...
I know a bit like science fiction, but what is the plans and doctrine
with dealing with space related warfare?

The Soviet/Russian have a lots of extensive research and design on
space warfare, or at least orbital warfare.

It also should be noted that the current Space Shuttle is probability
also was designed to be a carrier of nuclear missiles.

Especially now that China (PRC) is working on a consistant manned
presense in space, with a possible space station in the next 5-10 years.

As well as the possible access to space by more than the current access.
Namely instead of just Soyuz/Shuttle, but a possible X-prize winner or
like?

Examples being: What if someone attacked and took over the International
Space Station?

Actually, the question someone would ask is... who wanted to attack
and took over a piece of junk?

It's cheaper and easier to blew it up to pieces.

Or someone found ways to get to the asteroid belt and start throwing
rocks?

Well... I guess that an asteroid will have to do, since so far there
are no known large human colonies in space to bombard them to earth.

Mike

Old March 15th 04, 01:59 AM
Louis Boyd

Abrigon Gusiq wrote:

Examples being: What if someone attacked and took over the International
Space Station?

Declare the country which sent them a terrorist nation and eradicate it.

Or someone found ways to get to the asteroid belt and start throwing
rocks?

Declare the country which sent them a terrorist nation and eradicate it.

Or just that an asteroid was in route to hit earth? How would we deal
with it, other than to take it in the chin?

That why we still have priests. We also have plenty of polititians who
will assure you it will be ok if you just give them your vote.
--
Lou Boyd

Old March 15th 04, 05:34 AM
Gordon D. Pusch

"Bootstrap Bill" writes:

What if it were discovered that a Moon sized asteroid were on a collision
course with Earth, and would arrive in 25 years?

Then everything on the Earth would die.

Would we have enough time to evacuate anyone?

Not enough to form a viable population, let alone a civilization.

Could we establish a sizeable O'neal colony jin that amount of time?

No.

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'