Hey uv, want a space rock?

Old February 16th 13, 03:25 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Hey uv, want a space rock?

So all this debris apparently not connected to the asteroid? Came out of
the day side, never saw it honest guv.

So what about the ISS, I would be very worried if some clusters of rocks
like we have just had in Russia, Japan etc were not seen coming if I were
on board right now. I thought they monitored with radar.
Its also one heck of a coincidence that these rocks are coming in now,
within a day of the big one. One is forced to suspect that they are if not
directly related, at least part of the same event that created it.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old February 18th 13, 09:08 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Brian Gaff used his keyboard to write :
So all this debris apparently not connected to the asteroid? Came out of the
day side, never saw it honest guv.

So what about the ISS, I would be very worried if some clusters of rocks like
we have just had in Russia, Japan etc were not seen coming if I were on
board right now. I thought they monitored with radar.
Its also one heck of a coincidence that these rocks are coming in now,
within a day of the big one. One is forced to suspect that they are if not
directly related, at least part of the same event that created it.

Why? Is a bus arriving in town at the same time as a plane overflies
on the way to Gatwick "at least part of the same event that created
it"?

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Old February 18th 13, 11:58 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Although I hear what you say, the size of both rocks were much larger than
normal, thus the coincidence factor is all the more unlikely to me at least.
Its like saying a vintage bus and a spitfire flying over rather than any
old bus and any old plane.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old February 18th 13, 11:07 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

The real question is, why did they not see it, As I said before, if I were
in the iss where they routinely raise and lower the orbit to miss space
junk, surely some radar is actually looking for new stuff coming along. With
regard to what to tell the public, well, I imagine they would be a bit
wooly about it and say a large boulder is coming but it is only dangerous if
ity directly hits a populated area. In fact I think this has been said
before when we regularly go through known debris steams from comets.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"JF Mezei" wrote in message
eb.com...
Out of curiosoty, NASA made a big PR move to warn that the 14 rock would
not hit the earth. We knew in advance.

How come the siberian rock, if roughly the same size, was not foreseen ?

Sorry to wear a conspiracy hat for a moment, but if they had seen the
russian rock, and calculations showed high probability to entering
atmosphere, would they warn the population ?

If you can't predict how the rock will behave (explode in atmophere or
hit ground) and fairly precisely know where this would happen, is there
any logic in annoucing it ahead of time ?

Old February 20th 13, 06:05 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brad Guth[_3_]

[...]

Apparently they really could care less about the expendable crew
aboard ISS.
Old February 20th 13, 07:27 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Remember Monday, when JF Mezei asked plainitively:
Out of curiosoty, NASA made a big PR move to warn that the 14 rock would
not hit the earth. We knew in advance.

How come the siberian rock, if roughly the same size, was not foreseen ?

Roughly the same size? Where did you read that? The size estimates
for the impactor that I've seen are "about the size of a bus".

/dps

world of rock marika[_1_] FITS 0 January 12th 08 01:37 AM
The Rock ! Mike Amateur Astronomy 22 March 26th 06 05:47 AM
NASA Brings Veteran Astronaut, Vision for Space Exploration to North Little Rock Students Jacques van Oene News 0 November 15th 05 10:49 AM
Tracy's Rock / Split Rock Andrew Gray History 2 July 21st 05 02:00 PM