ASTRO: And yet again a M27 in color (my very first color image!)

Old September 16th 07, 10:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Default ASTRO: And yet again a M27 in color (my very first color image!)

Hi all,
I know not beautifull as the one from Rick but sure a try..
Composed out of 3 images in H-Alpha, OIII and Blue...
This one is my first try with my homebuild camera to take color shots.
I must say the actual imaging is less work than the edditing afterwards.
But i think i managed to make it look good in color.

10" SCT @ f/6.3
HOmebuild CCD camera
Total exposure time 84 minutes.

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M27_color.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	1225
Old September 16th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

"DvandenH" schreef in bericht
el.net...
Hi all,
I know not beautifull as the one from Rick but sure a try..
Composed out of 3 images in H-Alpha, OIII and Blue...
This one is my first try with my homebuild camera to take color shots.
I must say the actual imaging is less work than the edditing afterwards.
But i think i managed to make it look good in color.

10" SCT @ f/6.3
HOmebuild CCD camera
Total exposure time 84 minutes.

nice one Dirk! you have some very good signal.the image is a tad soft I
think and the colour of the stars is a bit off. But I like it. How did you
contruct the camera?

--
martijn
www.xs4all.nl/~martlian

Old September 17th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Martijn, the filters are places in front of the CCD with a filter wheel i
constructed myself.
I am still strugling with the compostition of the color image, it's a
learning curve i have to do.
I found some usefull info on the web, so perhaps i will post a new version
soon.

reg
Dirk

Old September 17th 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Here's another try.
Some improvements made from instructions on the net.

reg
Dirk

--

md wrote in message .. .
[...]

Name:	M27_RGB.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1230
Old September 18th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Dirk,

the colour of the nebula looks good to me. Stars are quite blue, but "true"
star colours with narrow band filters are very difficult to obtain.

Stefan

Old September 18th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

DvandenH wrote:
Hi all,
I know not beautifull as the one from Rick but sure a try..
Composed out of 3 images in H-Alpha, OIII and Blue...
This one is my first try with my homebuild camera to take color shots.
I must say the actual imaging is less work than the edditing afterwards.

Boy do I agree with that. I have a stack to process because they are
the more difficult ones. I do the easty ones and let the hard ones sit
for a while. Aging is good for wine, maybe its good for astro images as
well!

But i think i managed to make it look good in color.

Color is always a lot harder with narrow band filters if you are after a
realistic color. You did a good job here.

Rick

Old September 18th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

I managed to get it more smooth, but the nebula turned a bit greenish now..
On the web you see m27 centre in blue or green, wunder what the actual color
would be..
But the stars are more natural to see.
Don't you agree Stefan?

reg
Dirk

--

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
[...]

Name:	M27.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1234
Old September 18th 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Aging is good for wine, maybe its good for astro images as well!

Lol....true but i did try again Rick. Learned a lot on the web..

--

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

DvandenH wrote:
[...]

Views:	250
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1235
Old September 18th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

DvandenH wrote:
Aging is good for wine, maybe its good for astro images as well!

Lol....true but i did try again Rick. Learned a lot on the web..

You see a lot of variety in the color of M27 images. Which is "right"
is likely a moot point. Check out Google's image site with M27 as the
search value and you'll see hundreds, no two alike unless they are the
same photo on different websites.

What brand filters you use can alter color balance of emission objects.
When you use a combination of narrow and wide band as you did you
can't begin to say what's the right color, just what you like.

If you try to balance to a G2 star you are balancing narrow band data to
continuum spectrum stars. When you make a G2 star white doing that the
color of emission nebula will certainly be altered. Same if you adjust
the background to black. That likely will have a different continuum
spectrum than a G2 star so you get yet another result. Color film
doesn't help as the OIII band can fall such that it isn't picked up well
by either the blue or green emulsion. Same with some filters for
digital cameras. So even in all wide band shots there's a lot of room
to adjust the color.

For something like this it is more what you like than anything. No
matter what you come up with it won't please everyone. To me the best
route is to please yourself and let it go. Color in such a case is more
an art than a science. No two artists will show a still life of fruit
the same so why should astro imagers try to all show M27 the same? APOD
has published several M27's no two close to being alike even though some
were done by major observatories and claim to be "right".

There is no right, just what you like.

Rick

Old September 21st 07, 07:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

It looks great now. Not only star colours are better, but also it seems to
have a lot more signal than the first version.
Actually OIII is somewhere between green and blue, so depending on the
bandpath of the colour filters it can look either green or blue. Probably it
should be somewhere in the middle, which I tried to achieve in this image,
where I used OIII both for the green and the blue channel:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/M27colourfiltgut.jpg