A tour group just returned from Baykonur with great photos

Old August 3rd 06, 01:41 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default A tour group just returned from Baykonur with great photos

A tour group just returned from Baykonur
with some routine launch pad (and Nedelin
disaster site) photographs, plus some great
new view INSIDE the outdoor-parked Buran.

See
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...089/index.html.

Reconstruction work appears to have started on the
collapsed roof of the Buran/Energiya hangar, bldg 112:

Look at the right roof edge, where it's being repaired:
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...es/Img_061.jpg

Old August 3rd 06, 01:55 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
Craig Fink

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 00:41:56 +0000, Jim Oberg wrote:

A tour group just returned from Baykonur with some routine launch pad
(and Nedelin disaster site) photographs, plus some great new view INSIDE
the outdoor-parked Buran.

See
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...089/index.html.

How to watch a launch up close and personal.
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...s/Img_040.html
Where you can feel it as well as see and hear it. I wish NASA had a
viewing area a mile or so from the pad, where people could build their own
bunkers to get an up close and personal view of a Shuttle Launch.
Environmentally friendly bunkers, of course, as it is a wildlife refuge.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old August 3rd 06, 03:44 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Craig Fink wrote:
Where you can feel it as well as see and hear it. I wish NASA had a
viewing area a mile or so from the pad, where people could build their own
bunkers to get an up close and personal view of a Shuttle Launch.
Environmentally friendly bunkers, of course, as it is a wildlife refuge.

Unless things have changed -- my info is old -- the Foreward Fireman Team
(the descendant of the Apollo-era Astronaut Rescue Team) is about a mile
from the pad, in armored personnel carriers. Apparently they have
occasionally accommodated a guest, although considerable political pull
(and preferably military firefighting training) is required to arrange it.
Old August 3rd 06, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
Pat Flannery

Jim Oberg wrote:

See
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...089/index.html.

Is this the missile silo explosion site?
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...es/Img_053.jpg
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...es/Img_054.jpg

Pat

Old August 3rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
DA

Jim Oberg wrote:

A tour group just returned from Baykonur
with some routine launch pad (and Nedelin
disaster site) photographs, plus some great
new view INSIDE the outdoor-parked Buran.

See

http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...089/index.html.

It actually says "Buran prototype" and it's hard to say how close it is to
the real thing. Some parts of its hardware are definitely not flight
worthy, such as those ugly stand-offs on the back.
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...s/Img_018.html

Cheers,
D~

--
http://www.air-space.us/
The News and Discussions Platform for the Airspace Community

Old August 3rd 06, 03:41 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
Skylon

Jim Oberg wrote:
A tour group just returned from Baykonur
with some routine launch pad (and Nedelin
disaster site) photographs, plus some great
new view INSIDE the outdoor-parked Buran.

See
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...089/index.html.

Wow. That cockpit looks familiar...

-A.L.

Old August 3rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,alt.astronomy
ed kyle

Jim Oberg wrote:
A tour group just returned from Baykonur
with some routine launch pad (and Nedelin
disaster site) photographs, plus some great
new view INSIDE the outdoor-parked Buran.

See
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...089/index.html.

Reconstruction work appears to have started on the
collapsed roof of the Buran/Energiya hangar, bldg 112:

Look at the right roof edge, where it's being repaired:
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/c...es/Img_061.jpg

Interesting. But why?

- Ed Kyle