"Cheaper, better, faster" - cheap doesn't work

Old March 11th 06, 06:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default "Cheaper, better, faster" - cheap doesn't work

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0...Mars_Mars.html

Nobody was happier than Dan McCleese, the Mars chief scientist at JPL,
and the principal investigator of the Mars Climate Sounder, a weather
satellite and one of the six science instruments onboard MRO. "It feels
great!" exclaimed McCleese.

The lessons learned from past failures, said McCleese, is that cheap
doesn't work. "With Mars Observer and Mars Climate Orbiter -- the two
examples where we failed -- we tried to do it as cheaply as we could;
therefore the people standing behind the people who are watching the
people doing the work weren't there. Here we had checks and rechecks,
redundant systems, testing that we had not done previously, and we were
in the hands of very capable people. The future exploration of the
planet, in my view, is that it pays to spend the time and money to do it
right."
Old March 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Victor" wrote in message
http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0...Mars_Mars.html

Nobody was happier than Dan McCleese, the Mars chief scientist at JPL, and
the principal investigator of the Mars Climate Sounder, a weather
satellite and one of the six science instruments onboard MRO. "It feels
great!" exclaimed McCleese.

The lessons learned from past failures, said McCleese, is that cheap
doesn't work. "With Mars Observer and Mars Climate Orbiter -- the two
examples where we failed -- we tried to do it as cheaply as we could;
therefore the people standing behind the people who are watching the
people doing the work weren't there. Here we had checks and rechecks,
redundant systems, testing that we had not done previously, and we were in
the hands of very capable people. The future exploration of the planet, in
my view, is that it pays to spend the time and money to do it right."

Stupidity doesn't work. Some engineer programmed imperial data not the MKS
system
and lost in the 90's.

Old March 11th 06, 09:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:39:40 +0200, Victor wrote:

[...]

Thats ok. The person who pushed this concept is now where he belongs,
working as Hollywood producer.
Old March 11th 06, 09:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Rich wrote:
[...]

Really? And who would that be?

Phil
Old March 11th 06, 11:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Mike Thomas" wrote in message news:dbHQf.26336$Ui.145@edtnps84...

"Victor" wrote in message
http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0...Mars_Mars.html

The lessons learned from past failures, said McCleese, is that cheap
doesn't work. "With Mars Observer and Mars Climate Orbiter -- the two
examples where we failed -- we tried to do it as cheaply as we could;

Stupidity doesn't work. Some engineer programmed imperial data not the MKS
system
and lost in the 90's.

And that particular Mars mission was on
the high end costwise.
--

Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old March 12th 06, 06:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Steven Spielberg.