Heat Index Info: How Hot Do I Really Feel?

Old August 3rd 05, 12:16 AM
LAH

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
IIRC, the heat index in NYC last Tuesday hit 109 F. This week in NYC
we are expecting mid to high 90s all week and I recently read (source
forgotten) that the heat index is based upon a 5' 7" adult weighing 140
lbs. I don't know if this is indeed correct but it's what read, I
think.

Anyway, since I haven't been that size since the Corvair was still in
production, I'm wondering if the scale is logarithmic as one gets
larger, or smaller, and if there's a published algorithm to derive the
heat index for other body masses?

And you think you're thirsty?? read this

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8770524/site/newsweek/

Old August 3rd 05, 01:01 AM
CLT

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
LAH, Mick, mot, Tom, ATM, Virtigo, wrote:

only an idiot would make conclusions about annonymous posters online and
where they may be.

*Yawn* Are so you so brain damaged to think you're actually anonymous
here, dumbass?

Free Clue: Changing your nickname and email address provides you with
zero anonymity.

No, but it gets him back out of the killfile, which is probably all he is
really after.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net
************************************************** ************

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

Old August 3rd 05, 01:55 AM
Jan Owen

"CLT" wrote in message
"John Steinberg" wrote in message
LAH, Mick, mot, Tom, ATM, Virtigo, wrote:

only an idiot would make conclusions about annonymous posters online

and
where they may be.

*Yawn* Are so you so brain damaged to think you're actually anonymous
here, dumbass?

Free Clue: Changing your nickname and email address provides you with
zero anonymity.

No, but it gets him back out of the killfile, which is probably all he

is
really after.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor

Actually, it gets him right back in again...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old August 3rd 05, 07:14 AM
Tom McDonald

jerry warner wrote:
Some people have to actually work in this ........
Jerry Warner

I remember working in this sort of heat, outdoors, doing hard
physical labor, and just putting up with it. Sometimes I was in a
situation where water (and occasionally salt tablets) were
readily available; sometimes not. We just worked and bitched.

But those were the days when I could retire to my favorite bar
after work. It was called 'the Pit'; and it was. The basement of
an old hotel in town, sweaty stone walls, no decor to speak of.
But it was cool, and they had beer.

In those days, I could tolerate anything if there was beer
after. And girls.

God, am I old.

snip
--
Tom McDonald
http://ahwhatdoiknow.blogspot.com/
Old August 3rd 05, 07:36 PM

"the heat index in NYC last Tuesday hit 109 F."

Heat index, smeat index, its not really hot until the actual
temperature is 105dF, something most northeners simply don't
understand.

Last year we hit 113 (only 107 so far this year), and phoenix has hit
120 (somewhat occasionally), not heat index expressed or implied.

But, think of it this way, when your garage is 120 and the ambient is
113, it does not take long for the scope to thermally aclimatize!
Assuming the humans survive.....

Old August 3rd 05, 09:37 PM
Stephen Paul

wrote in message
ups.com...
"the heat index in NYC last Tuesday hit 109 F."

Heat index, smeat index, its not really hot until the actual
temperature is 105dF, something most northeners simply don't
understand.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. The sauna is basically set to 115dF, and I can
spend a good 15 minutes in there before I get uncomfortable. ;-)

Old August 4th 05, 07:07 AM
Brian Tung

Mitch Alsup wrote:
Heat index, smeat index, its not really hot until the actual
temperature is 105dF, something most northeners simply don't
understand.

Ba-LON-ey.

I've been in desert Phoenix at 110 F, and subtropical Taiwan at 95 F,
and believe me, the latter was far worse.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old August 4th 05, 07:18 AM
G.T.

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
Mitch Alsup wrote:
Heat index, smeat index, its not really hot until the actual
temperature is 105dF, something most northeners simply don't
understand.

Ba-LON-ey.

I've been in desert Phoenix at 110 F, and subtropical Taiwan at 95 F,
and believe me, the latter was far worse.

No arguments here. I have no problems hiking or riding in SoCal heat up to
100 degrees but I've suffered in the Caribbean and Cairns when it was well
under 90.

Greg

Old August 4th 05, 05:47 PM
Davoud

In another thread:

Mitch Alsup:
Heat index, smeat index, its not really hot until the actual
temperature is 105dF, something most northeners simply don't
understand.

Brian Tung:
Ba-LON-ey.
I've been in desert Phoenix at 110 F, and subtropical Taiwan at 95 F,
and believe me, the latter was far worse.

Indeed. When it gets extreme, it's tough to choose. Indonesia, with
temperatures around 105 and humidity in the 90's, was no picnic. When I
lived in Khartoum, summer daytime temperatures rarely went under 130F
and the air was extremely dry, and that was memorable -- like the time
the steering wheel and gearshift knob in my Toyota Land Cruiser melted.
Flip a coin.

Perhaps my memory of these difficult experiences has softened with
time, though. Both experiences pale in comparison to my attempts to
observe and photograph over the past three nights. 88 F seems hotter
late at night than it does under the sun. The humidity had me soaked
with sweat -- after each session I looked like a cartoon caricature of
someone who had fallen into a swimming pool fully clothed -- matted
hair, t-shirt dripping, the whole thing.

The photos (M8 & M20): It's hard to imagine what the temperature of the
Canon 20D sensor might have been. In addition to ambient, there is the
heat generated by the AC adapter, which fits into the battery cavity in
the camera body. The photos are very noisy. You want good focus? Sweat
burning my eyes and dripping onto the Canon's right-angle finder
objective didn't help in the least.

Otherwise, it was a good observing session. I'm taking tonight off.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com