Heat Index Info: How Hot Do I Really Feel?

Old August 2nd 05, 05:01 PM
Davoud

Default Heat Index Info: How Hot Do I Really Feel?

John Steinberg wrote:

IIRC, the heat index in NYC last Tuesday hit 109 F. This week in NYC
we are expecting mid to high 90s all week and I recently read (source
forgotten) that the heat index is based upon a 5' 7" adult weighing 140
lbs. I don't know if this is indeed correct but it's what read, I
think.

That must be the Lilliputian heat index. Interpolating for myself, I
would say that the temperature here (10 mi. W. of Annapolis) is 317F
and the humidity is 284 percent.

Anyway, since I haven't been that size since the Corvair was still in
production, I'm wondering if the scale is logarithmic as one gets
larger, or smaller, and if there's a published algorithm to derive the
heat index for other body masses?

Corvair? You could fit in a Corvair?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old August 2nd 05, 05:27 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:01:50 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Corvair? You could fit in a Corvair?

Remember, he was only 5' 7" back then.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 2nd 05, 06:33 PM
LAH

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
IIRC, the heat index in NYC last Tuesday hit 109 F. This week in NYC
we are expecting mid to high 90s all week and I recently read (source
forgotten) that the heat index is based upon a 5' 7" adult weighing 140
lbs. I don't know if this is indeed correct but it's what read, I
think.

Anyway, since I haven't been that size since the Corvair was still in
production, I'm wondering if the scale is logarithmic as one gets
larger, or smaller, and if there's a published algorithm to derive the
heat index for other body masses?

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

Who really gives a good **** about this as it relates to SAA??

Old August 2nd 05, 06:40 PM
Howard Lester

"LAH" wrote

Anyway, since I haven't been that size since the Corvair was still in
production, I'm wondering if the scale is logarithmic as one gets
larger, or smaller, and if there's a published algorithm to derive the
heat index for other body masses?

Who really gives a good **** about this as it relates to SAA??

You must be new here... and probably don't even know what a Corvair is.
(hint: it's neither a Maksutov nor one of those Rich-Cretins)

Old August 2nd 05, 06:43 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:33:40 GMT, "LAH" wrote:

Who really gives a good **** about this as it relates to SAA??

Anyone who is forced to consider heat index when planning their
observing? That probably represents more than half of all American
amateurs.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 2nd 05, 07:16 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/studies/ta_htindx.PDF

Old August 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
John Steinberg

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/studies/ta_htindx.PDF

Excellent link, thanks! If I'm following the formula correctly it
seems there really is no provision to account for body mass. Not a big
deal, I know when it's hot!

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid
Old August 2nd 05, 08:39 PM
LAH

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
Chris L Peterson rote:

Anyone who is forced to consider heat index when planning their
observing? That probably represents more than half of all American
amateurs.

In fairness to LAH, AKA: Mick, Mot, Tom, Vertigo, ATM, ad nauseam, he
probably doesn't have to deal with these issues up there in Calgary.

--

only an idiot would make conclusions about annonymous posters online and
where they may be.

Old August 2nd 05, 10:36 PM
LAH

LAH, Mick, mot, Tom, ATM, Virtigo, wrote:

only an idiot would make conclusions about annonymous posters online and
where they may be.

*Yawn* Are so you so brain damaged to think you're actually anonymous
here, dumbass?

Sure am. Unless you have somekind of privacy intrusion into my ISP!!
dip****! Which is of course
impossible! oh yeah, I know all about IP trackers, but that don't mean
anything either.