Moon & Mars & Cloud....

Old August 13th 03, 10:35 PM
Peter Berry

Default Moon & Mars & Cloud....

11.35 BST ... Gloucester UK.

What a sight through binoculars!!!!

Old August 14th 03, 12:54 AM
Martin Anderson

"Peter Berry" wrote in message
11.35 BST ... Gloucester UK.

What a sight through binoculars!!!!

I completely agree with you. I was out walking earlier - about 9.45 and

the Moon appeared from behind the clouds, very eerie!!

I went out about midnight and took some shots with my 35mm. Hopefully they
will be good. I will be happy if the photo of the Moon and Mars is the best
one.

Didn't notice any Perseid showers though sigh

Clear skies from Spalding

Martin A

Old August 14th 03, 10:04 AM
James

"Martin Anderson" wrote in message

"Peter Berry" wrote in message
11.35 BST ... Gloucester UK.

What a sight through binoculars!!!!

I completely agree with you. I was out walking earlier - about 9.45 and

the Moon appeared from behind the clouds, very eerie!!

I went out about midnight and took some shots with my 35mm. Hopefully they
will be good. I will be happy if the photo of the Moon and Mars is the

best
one.

Didn't notice any Perseid showers though sigh

I'd like to try this tonight-

Im no astronomer, but I do like watching the skies, and I have up to 600mm
lens on my SLR, so should zoom in to Moon/Mars quite nicely.

Any idea on exposure time? Need enough to get lots of light in, but not so
long they start to blur (although a shot I did with a 3 hour exposure of the
stars one night was pretty good!)
James

Old August 14th 03, 10:04 PM
Martin Anderson

"James" wrote in message

[...]

I am not brilliant at photography but i may be able to help.

I used an 80 - -200 zoom with a 2 x converter and started with lens wide
open @1/125 ,1/60, 1/250 and then repeated it with the lens at f5.6 & f8

Bear in mind that the moon is quite bright and you may get under/over
exposures if you want to capture both at the same time.

When i focus the zoom and change f stops, i can easily see the difference,
especially when aiming at the moon.

I then have to decide on the shutter speed. For me, it's learn as you go.
Inow keep a record of all my photo's so I can see which is the best and how
i did it...

HTH

Martin A