China and Robert Zubrin

Old October 23rd 03, 02:18 AM
TKalbfus

Default China and Robert Zubrin

Do you think Robert Zubrin would ever consider working for the Chinese? Perhaps
he'll get tired of trying to convince NASA send men to Mars and go with the
Chinese and help them with a Mars Direct Program, they seem to be interested in
going to the Moon and Mars. NASA keeps on making excuses not to go.

Tom
Old October 23rd 03, 05:23 AM
James Oberg

Tom Lehr:
"I'm learning CHI-NESE, says wernher von Braun..."

Old October 23rd 03, 03:32 PM
Hop David

TKalbfus wrote:
Do you think Robert Zubrin would ever consider working for the Chinese? Perhaps
he'll get tired of trying to convince NASA send men to Mars and go with the
Chinese and help them with a Mars Direct Program, they seem to be interested in
going to the Moon and Mars. NASA keeps on making excuses not to go.

Tom

Some sci.space regulars seem less than enchanted with Zubrin.

I could imagine them on a California dock telling the Chinese "Take our
Zubrin. Please!"

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old October 23rd 03, 04:39 PM
Scott Lowther

Hop David wrote:

TKalbfus wrote:
Do you think Robert Zubrin would ever consider working for the Chinese? Perhaps
he'll get tired of trying to convince NASA send men to Mars and go with the
Chinese and help them with a Mars Direct Program, they seem to be interested in
going to the Moon and Mars. NASA keeps on making excuses not to go.

Tom

Some sci.space regulars seem less than enchanted with Zubrin.

I could imagine them on a California dock telling the Chinese "Take our
Zubrin. Please!"

Response from across the ocean: "All your Zubrin are belong to us."

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old October 23rd 03, 06:46 PM
Mike Combs

Scott Lowther wrote:

Hop David wrote:

Some sci.space regulars seem less than enchanted with Zubrin.
I could imagine them on a California dock telling the Chinese "Take
our Zubrin. Please!"

Response from across the ocean: "All your Zubrin are belong to us."

Someone set up us the bombast.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"
Old October 24th 03, 04:36 AM
Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to \s\

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:46:08 -0500, Mike Combs
wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Hop David wrote:

Some sci.space regulars seem less than enchanted with Zubrin.
I could imagine them on a California dock telling the Chinese "Take
our Zubrin. Please!"

Response from across the ocean: "All your Zubrin are belong to us."

Someone set up us the bombast.

If it's about Mars, shouldn't it be "All your Face are belong to us"?

For great justice, at least.

--
Michael R. Grabois # http://chili.cjb.net # http://wizardimps.blogspot.com
"People say losing builds character. That's the stupidest thing I ever
Old October 24th 03, 05:05 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"James Oberg" wrote in message

Tom Lehr:
"I'm learning CHI-NESE, says wernher von Braun..."

You know, it amazes how topical many of Lehrer's songs are, several decades
later.

Old October 25th 03, 03:54 AM
Martha H Adams

Would someone please outline for me, as a serious piece of information
that I might use seriously, what problems people are having with
Zubrin? I have read some of his work and I felt positive about what I
saw there. If I'm unrealistic, I'd like to know about it. Pointers
to publically accessible published material would be helpful.

Thanks -- Martha Adams

Old October 25th 03, 05:04 AM
Scott Lowther

Martha H Adams wrote:

Would someone please outline for me, as a serious piece of information
that I might use seriously, what problems people are having with
Zubrin?

Have you met him?

Here's a suggestion. Next time you're in a Barnes & Borders book store,
look in the Science & Math & Technology & Stuff section, and see if
Zubrin's "Mars on Earth" book is in there. Take the copy, find a chair,
and read the section on the flubbed construction of the FMars "hab" up
in the Great White North. Specifically, note the smarmy tone, especially
the way he treats Kurt Micheels, a good and conscienscious man. And keep
in mind that this is *his* version of events... not exactly *the* *way*
*it* *actually* *happened*.

A phrase that sums it up: "Jesus Christ. Was he raised by wolves?"

I have read some of his work and I felt positive about what I
saw there.

I believe it was Donna Shirley who said, "He dreams away the technical
issues."

Old October 25th 03, 05:43 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Martha H Adams wrote:
Would someone please outline for me, as a serious piece of information
that I might use seriously, what problems people are having with
Zubrin? I have read some of his work and I felt positive about what I
saw there. If I'm unrealistic, I'd like to know about it.

The problems mostly come under two headings.

First, he tends to fall in love with his ideas to the point that he
ignores, or casually dismisses, alternatives and practical snags. Always
check with somebody else about the detailed engineering. Donna Shirley
(who headed the engineering team for the Sojourner rover) on Zubrin: "He
dreams away the technical issues."

Second, a large fraction of the time, Zubrin gives the impression that
Mars is the only interesting or important place in the Solar System, and a
lot of people just don't agree with that. Indeed, some think that an
intense focus on getting to Mars is a disastrous strategic mistake, all
too likely to lead to a repetition of the post-Apollo collapse.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |