semi OT on sci.space.news

Old December 10th 03, 05:37 PM
Brian Gaff

Default semi OT on sci.space.news

Hi folks, is anyone else finding the apparent inability to turn off smart
quotes in Word docs posted as text just a little annoying, with 8 thousand
and xxx every few words? I'd have thought some clever person might have
written a converter for this??

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

Old December 11th 03, 09:38 AM
Paul Blay

"Brian Gaff" wrote ...
Hi folks, is anyone else finding the apparent inability to turn off smart
quotes in Word docs posted as text just a little annoying,

You mean this
"ST. LOUIS, December 9, 2003 – Boeing [NYSE:BA] has successfully ..."
sort of thing?

with 8 thousand
and xxx every few words?

Yes it is annoying.

I'd have thought some clever person might have
written a converter for this??

To display such text, add htmlpre to the start, /pre/html to the end
and open as a .html file.

When I looked into this problem it proved quite difficult to reproduce. There's
a specific set of steps to get the problem to occur, it doesn't really need a
converter - it just needs people to be aware of the problem and not post in ways
that cause it to occur.

Unfortunately I have now completely forgotten when it happens / when it doesn't
- If I ever knew.
(See
http://groups.google.com/groups?&thr...vr.pol.c o.uk
for me failing to get this right on a previous occasion).
Interestingly I _once_ managed to get 'smart quotes' in a post, but when I
repeat the same steps now they don't seem to be present in the saved version)

"x" "x" "x" - Were smart quotes pasted from 'Notepad'.

Maybe my OE settings are 'smarter' now than they were.