Super-cool Planck mission begins to warm

Old January 23rd 12, 01:26 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Super-cool Planck mission begins to warm

Super-cool Planck mission begins to warm

Engineers expect the observatory's systems to start to warm from their ultra-frigid state in the coming days, blinding one of its two instruments.

Nonetheless, Planck has gathered more than enough data since its launch in 2009 to complete its mission goals.

"We have had a flood of data - much more data than originally anticipated, and now we are in the frantic phase," revealed Jan Tauber, the European Space

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12065464
Old January 23rd 12, 01:30 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_(spacecraft)
Old January 23rd 12, 03:01 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Jonathan

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
On 1/22/12 7:26 PM, Sam Wormley wrote:
Super-cool Planck mission begins to warm

Engineers expect the observatory's systems to start to warm from their
ultra-frigid state in the coming days, blinding one of its two
instruments.

Nonetheless, Planck has gathered more than enough data since its
launch in 2009 to complete its mission goals.

"We have had a flood of data - much more data than originally
anticipated, and now we are in the frantic phase," revealed Jan
Tauber, the European Space

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12065464

Some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_(spacecraft)

The best animation I've seen that explains why the background
radiation looks the way it does is here....

Cosmic Ripples

"Ripples in the Cosmic Microwave Background can be
compared to the ripples in fluids. The dispersed gas of the
early universe has unique behaviors based upon its
composition. The composition and the behavior of the
inflation event generates a distinctive pattern of ripples."

"This pattern is detectable in the image we see in the
Cosmic Microwave Background"
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/media/030658/030658_320.mov

WMAP Concept Animations
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/resources/animconcepts.html

Old January 23rd 12, 03:23 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/22/12 9:01 PM, Jonathan wrote:
"Sam wrote in message
[...]

Also see: Big Bang Acoustics: Movie and Sound Files
http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~dmw8f...iles/index.php