Is Big Bang Real Scientific Theory?

Old September 25th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Michael Altarriba

Default Is Big Bang Real Scientific Theory?

Giant Waffle wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:30:17 -0500, "El Puerco"
you decided to say:

"Emmanual Kann" wrote in message
news
An Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:09:03 -0700, Gene Ward Smith schreibt:

Um, we've observed dark matter, sorry.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/di...ml#dark_matter

dark matter
Name given to the amount of mass whose existence is deduced from the
analysis of galaxy rotation curves but which until now, has escaped all
detections. There are many theories on what dark matter could be. Not one,
at the moment is convincing enough and the question is still a mystery.

Still, there is clearly something (matter) there that we can't see (dark).
What else should we call it?

You have made a claim. You claim matter is there. That is
not evidence.

One of the ways we have evidence of matter is that it reflects,
refracts, or transmits photons in some way. Those photons strike are
retinas, creating a set of physiological responses we call "seeing."
Another way we gather evidence of matter is observing how the presense
of said matter distorts the light passing by it. The phenomenon known
as "gravitational lensing" is an example of this.

We have observed the lensing of light consistent with the presence of
there being matter which we are otherwise unable to detect.

How is this any less evidence than our observing the photons reflected
off a distant bit of matter?

Old September 25th 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 25 Sep 2006 11:45:04 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Snakes and
Babies" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Here's where you lose me -- you take science to task for not being able
to verify all its theories -- where is ONE BIT of physical evidence
pointing to the existence of God?

Many would say that the universe itself is abundant physical evidence
for the existence of God.

I would say that the universe itself is physical evidence of the
existence of a universe.

It's both.

How?

I already explained. Its existence can be explained by an infinitely
large number of theories, some of which involve God, and some of which
don't.

What about the universe suggests any association with the Christian God?

It conforms with Christian's theories about God. There are many
alternative explanations for any given set of evidence. One of them
is that the universe was created by God.

You mean, for example, the explanation that the universe was created in
seven days (well, six, really) 'long 'bout 6,000 years ago? Do you
have any evidence besides the book of Genesis for that being so?

Yes. The universe itself is evidence for it. It's also evidence that
it was created naturally. There are an infinite number of theories
that fit all the facts (e.g., the universe was created ten minutes
ago, complete with memories, twenty minutes ago, thirty minutes ago,
etc.). The fact that the universe appears to be billions of years old
could simply be a test of our faith by God. That theory would comport
with the evidence.

You continue, apparently, to confuse the word "evidence" with "proof."
Old September 25th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
William December Starr

In article ,
Giant Waffle said:

The truth is, you snipped almost all of my post, because you
knew it was truth.

I choose not to waste my time with someone who refuses to
confess to the truth of a statement. Again, this only proves
the desperation of those who wish it to be so. (:

Goodbye now.

Goodbye. Please stay away forever.

--
William December Starr

Old September 25th 06, 07:52 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
William December Starr

In article ,
h (Rand Simberg) said:

Many would say that the universe itself is abundant physical
evidence for the existence of God.

Many would be idiots.

--
William December Starr

Old September 25th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Snakes and Babies

Rand Simberg wrote:
On 25 Sep 2006 11:45:04 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Snakes and
Babies" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Here's where you lose me -- you take science to task for not being able
to verify all its theories -- where is ONE BIT of physical evidence
pointing to the existence of God?

Many would say that the universe itself is abundant physical evidence
for the existence of God.

I would say that the universe itself is physical evidence of the
existence of a universe.

It's both.

How?

I already explained. Its existence can be explained by an infinitely
large number of theories, some of which involve God, and some of which
don't.

There's a much larger body of verifyable, observed evidence suggesting
that the universe was not created acording to the creation myth
Christians subscribe to.

[...]

2+2=5

Old September 25th 06, 07:59 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 25 Sep 2006 11:54:35 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Snakes and
[...]

Whether that's true or not, it doesn't support your contention that
there is no physical evidence for the existence of God. As I said, by
the Christian (and other monotheistic) theories, the universe itself
constitutes such evidence.

You mean, for example, the explanation that the universe was created in
seven days (well, six, really) 'long 'bout 6,000 years ago? Do you
have any evidence besides the book of Genesis for that being so?

Yes. The universe itself is evidence for it. It's also evidence that
it was created naturally. There are an infinite number of theories
that fit all the facts (e.g., the universe was created ten minutes
ago, complete with memories, twenty minutes ago, thirty minutes ago,
etc.). The fact that the universe appears to be billions of years old
could simply be a test of our faith by God. That theory would comport
with the evidence.

You continue, apparently, to confuse the word "evidence" with "proof."

2+2=5

??

This seems like a non sequitur.

But then, it's not surprising, coming from someone with a bizarre
screen name.
Old September 25th 06, 08:00 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 25 Sep 2006 14:52:29 -0400, in a place far, far away,
(William December Starr) made the phosphor on my

(Rand Simberg) said:

Many would say that the universe itself is abundant physical
evidence for the existence of God.

Many would be idiots.

No, they simply have a different world view.
Old September 25th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.messianic,alt.society.liberalism,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
David Johnston[_1_]

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:33:19 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

What about the universe suggests any association with the Christian God?

It conforms with Christian's theories about God.

What a Christian has about God is not a theory.

There are many
alternative explanations for any given set of evidence.

Not all are equal.