LX90 See's first light - First Opinions

Old March 31st 04, 11:45 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Colin Dawson
writes
Hi Chris.

The LPI? oh yeah, it's meade new fangled web cam thingy. Grrr, wish I'd got
one with my scope. ;-)

To put up an image onto a web page is really quite easy.... first you'll
need the piccy saved as a .JPG (there's other formats too, but JPG will do).

Then you'll need to contruct the page. Some programs will do this for you,
but here's how to it it manually..

Use notepd and copy this text...

html
body
img src="MyPic.jpg"
/body
/html

Then save this as a file in the same directory as your .jpg file. When you
save the file give it a file extension of .html Next double click on this
new file and Windows Explorer should startup, your picture will be
displayed. The final step is that you need to use an FTP program to
upload the files to your webspace in the internet (you ISP will help you do
that if needed)

If you want to get more adventurous with the web page, then "borrow"
examples from other websites that you like the look of... everyone does it.

Regards

Colin

Just to follow-up on your first foray into the addictive world of web
site creation :-)
It seems to be considered good practice to put a small "thumbnail"
version of your picture, only a few KB and perhaps 100 pixels across,
and use this in your img src line. You then add a description with an
Alt tag, and a link to the main picture with a href, like this
a href="clavius.jpg"
img SRC="clavius_t.jpg" alt="Clavius"
Not everyone has broadband!
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old April 1st 04, 12:34 AM
Tim Auton

"Colin Dawson" wrote:
[snip]
Then you'll need to contruct the page. Some programs will do this for you,
but here's how to it it manually..

[...]
html
body
img src="MyPic.jpg"
/body
/html

This is how you create a web page, but it would be a futile one. Just
linking to the image directly would have the same effect.

For someone just wanting to put a few pics on the web I'd suggest
something like the composer built in to Mozilla. Make thumbnail
versions of the images (shrink the images in a Photoshop-alike) and
plonk them in a table (a grid arrangement - it will be called a table
an editor, and that's what the HTML tag is called) with some
descriptive text underneath. Make the image and the descriptive text a
link to the full-size jpeg.

For what you want to do I wouldn't bother with hand-coding HTML*, an
editor will let you get it looking roughly the way you want. Roughly
is a crucial word - everyone has different browsers, screen sizes and
the rest so they won't see exactly what you see. So don't bother
aligning stuff exactly. Try to ensure you can see the full width of
the main pages with your browser window ~780 pixels wide (to
accommodate people with 800x600 displays) and don't use silly fonts or
hard-to-read colours and you'll make something the rest of us can use
to easily find and enjoy your pix.

Tim

* If you want me to give you a job you'd better be able to, but I
guess you just want a page rather than a job.
--
Love is a travelator.
Old April 1st 04, 06:27 PM
Colin Dawson

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
[...]

That's a good point. I've been meaning to do it on my site for a while, but
haven't been motivated to get round to it.

Col.

Old April 1st 04, 06:30 PM
Colin Dawson

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
"Colin Dawson" wrote:
[snip]
Then you'll need to contruct the page. Some programs will do this for

you,
but here's how to it it manually..

[...]
html
body
img src="MyPic.jpg"
/body
/html

This is how you create a web page, but it would be a futile one. Just
linking to the image directly would have the same effect.

Yep, your right. The power of the exmaple wasn't to do the whole page, but
to give a basic idea of how to go about it.
if you added a second img tag, you'll immediatly have two images, but I
wanted to keep things simple.

[...]

There's plenty of freeware HTML editors about, they'll all do the job.

Col.

Old April 2nd 04, 12:21 AM
Tim Auton

[web pages]

Taking the thread to a greater tangent, am I the only one who finds a
star-field background on pages with images of star-fields annoying? An
image with a black background and white dots on top of an image with a
black background with white dots...

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.
Old April 2nd 04, 08:21 AM
J.Hill

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
[web pages]

Taking the thread to a greater tangent, am I the only one who finds a
star-field background on pages with images of star-fields annoying? An
image with a black background and white dots on top of an image with a
black background with white dots...

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.

No. No you are not the only one who finds a starry background on pages with
images of stars annoying. I sometimes rue the day someone decided to allow
backgrounds in HTML. What the hell was wrong with black Times New Roman,
blue links, and a white or grey background? No waiting around for Flash menu
bars to load in those days. )

Cheers,
Jim

Old April 2nd 04, 09:54 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
[web pages]

Taking the thread to a greater tangent, am I the only one who finds a
star-field background on pages with images of star-fields annoying? An
image with a black background and white dots on top of an image with a
black background with white dots...

I hate them, and quite frequently just give up and go elsewhere.
To me it shows either near total ignorance of visual perception, or juvenile
arrogance of the kind : "how clever am I" with html.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old April 2nd 04, 09:57 AM
Andrew Cockburn

Check out my website - not much content yet, but absolutely no starry
backgrounds, nice plain white :-)

http://www.cockburn.co.uk/astronomy

Regards,

Andrew Cockburn

Old April 2nd 04, 06:56 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , J.Hill
writes
"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message
.. .
[web pages]

Taking the thread to a greater tangent, am I the only one who finds a
star-field background on pages with images of star-fields annoying? An
image with a black background and white dots on top of an image with a
black background with white dots...

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.

No. No you are not the only one who finds a starry background on pages with
images of stars annoying. I sometimes rue the day someone decided to allow
backgrounds in HTML. What the hell was wrong with black Times New Roman,
blue links, and a white or grey background? No waiting around for Flash menu
bars to load in those days. )

I was advised to drop the background pictures when I asked for a site
critique elsewhere, but I still feel that a dark blue background is
appropriate for an astronomy site :-)
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old April 3rd 04, 02:24 AM
jeffcapeshop

may i recommend "thumber" http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm if you have a
lot of images you need to put online

it will make a thumbnail, resize the original, put it all on a webpage for
you in a few easy steps!

it can also do a number of other fancy things including batch processing and
a lot more that i haven't got round to discovering yet

"image stacker" by the same author is also quite good - very easy to use and
ideal for digital star trails etc.