See a comet tonight in binoculars or small telescope

Old February 12th 04, 10:28 PM
Shawn Grant

Default See a comet tonight in binoculars or small telescope

Say, is the comet bright enough so I can see it through these snow clouds
that have been here for three days?

:-)

You have been having clouds. So have I. What are the chances of us both
having clouds?

Old February 12th 04, 11:03 PM
Dr Min

Say, is the comet bright enough so I can see it through these snow clouds
that have been here for three days?

Clouds are lovely and fluffy.

Old February 12th 04, 11:03 PM
Dr Min

Old February 13th 04, 04:38 AM
Nick Theodorakis

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:48:47 -0500, "Joe S."
wrote:

Thanks, Greg.

Say, is the comet bright enough so I can see it through these snow clouds
that have been here for three days?

:-)

Just three days? We had 60 in. of snow here in Rochester in January
alone.

Actually, we an ok sky a few days ago. Not so many clouds, but the
seeing wasn't too good either, so I did a little planet gazing with my
little 4.5 in Dob. Looked at Saturn, of course, (and since I was in
the neighborhood, a quick peak at M35). I caught Jupiter coming over
the horizon, and could see a couple of cloud bands and three moons. I
decided to let it get higher in sky to take another look, but wouldn't
you know it, the clouds came back! I had a similar experience last
night, except cloud cover rolled in before I could even get to use the
scope.

Thanks to the OP for the pointing out the comet; I hope to see it when
we get a clear night.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu

Old February 15th 04, 05:11 AM
Bill Greer

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:37:06 -0700, Greg Crinklaw
wrote:

The comet 2002 T7 (LINEAR) is currently located very close to the bright
star Algenib (Gamma Peg), making it a very easy target over the next few
evenings from northern and mid-northern latitudes. For best results go
to a dark site as twilight ends. Look toward the west and identify the
setting constellation Pegasus. The comet will appear as a smudge of
light to the "left" of Algenib in binoculars. A short tail may be
visible in telescopes.

A large coma with a relatively short, straight, narrow tail was
visible with hand-held 20x80 binoculars from a relatively dark site in
rural Montana.

Thanks for the reminder! I've had far too little time to devote to
astronomy lately ;-(

Bill Greer