Pioneer Anomaly

Old July 18th 07, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Pioneer Anomaly

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly

Is this the result of:

Observational error?

A data computation error?

A technical problem with the space probes?

An unknown physics phenomenon at work?

Something else?

Lets hear some (informed) opinions!

Old July 18th 07, 10:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Damon Hill[_4_]

wrote in
oups.com:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly

Apparently it's not even certain that anything has actually
happened; measurement and statistical error might explain it.
The New Horizons mission to flyby Pluto and explore Kuiper
Belt objects may yield new data. Or may not.

It appears we will have to wait for results. I'm betting
on a mundane explanation.

--Damon
Old July 19th 07, 11:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jochem Huhmann

Damon Hill writes:

wrote in
oups.com:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly

Apparently it's not even certain that anything has actually
happened; measurement and statistical error might explain it.
The New Horizons mission to flyby Pluto and explore Kuiper
Belt objects may yield new data. Or may not.

It appears we will have to wait for results. I'm betting
on a mundane explanation.

That's reasonable with such little real data available. But then there's
still the flyby anomaly which has been documented with much more crafts
and doesn't look like a systematic error at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyby_anomaly

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old July 19th 07, 01:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Jochem Huhmann wrote:
Damon Hill writes:

wrote in
oups.com:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly
Apparently it's not even certain that anything has actually
happened; measurement and statistical error might explain it.
The New Horizons mission to flyby Pluto and explore Kuiper
Belt objects may yield new data. Or may not.

It appears we will have to wait for results. I'm betting
on a mundane explanation.

That's reasonable with such little real data available. But then there's
still the flyby anomaly which has been documented with much more crafts
and doesn't look like a systematic error at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyby_anomaly

Jochem

Be interesting to see results for an anti-slingshot encounter. Anyone
got a few spare mill?

Sylvia.
Old July 19th 07, 01:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Jochem Huhmann wrote:
Damon Hill writes:

wrote in
oups.com:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly
Apparently it's not even certain that anything has actually
happened; measurement and statistical error might explain it.
The New Horizons mission to flyby Pluto and explore Kuiper
Belt objects may yield new data. Or may not.

It appears we will have to wait for results. I'm betting
on a mundane explanation.

That's reasonable with such little real data available. But then there's
still the flyby anomaly which has been documented with much more crafts
and doesn't look like a systematic error at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyby_anomaly

Jochem

It doesn't appear to describe the factors that have been taken into
account. For example, did they include effects due to the tidal bulge?

Sylvia.
Old July 19th 07, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jochem Huhmann

Sylvia Else writes:
That's reasonable with such little real data available. But then there's
still the flyby anomaly which has been documented with much more crafts
and doesn't look like a systematic error at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyby_anomaly

Jochem

It doesn't appear to describe the factors that have been taken into
account. For example, did they include effects due to the tidal bulge?

Yes, look at http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/gr-qc/0604052 for details (both
ocean and solid earth tides have effects much too small to explain the
acceleration).

Jochem

Old July 19th 07, 11:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

Jochem Huhmann wrote:
Sylvia Else writes:
That's reasonable with such little real data available. But then there's
still the flyby anomaly which has been documented with much more crafts
and doesn't look like a systematic error at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyby_anomaly

Jochem

It doesn't appear to describe the factors that have been taken into
account. For example, did they include effects due to the tidal bulge?

Yes, look at http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/gr-qc/0604052 for details (both
ocean and solid earth tides have effects much too small to explain the
acceleration).

Jochem

Thanks for that.

Sylvia.
Old July 21st 07, 09:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Einar

Something may come to light once they have completed the reanalyzis of
the Pioneer telemetry data. But as you said, it might amount to
nothing. But, maybe it does. We can only wait and see.

Cheers, Einar

Damon Hill wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_anomaly

Apparently it's not even certain that anything has actually
happened; measurement and statistical error might explain it.
The New Horizons mission to flyby Pluto and explore Kuiper
Belt objects may yield new data. Or may not.

It appears we will have to wait for results. I'm betting
on a mundane explanation.

--Damon

Pioneer Anomaly Anomalous No More. Max Keon Misc 48 February 4th 07 10:57 PM
30 Years of Pioneer Spacecraft Data Rescued: The Planetary Society Enables Study of the Mysterious Pioneer Anomaly [email protected] News 0 June 6th 06 05:35 PM
Pioneer anomaly Oz Research 10 October 1st 05 09:40 AM
The Pioneer Anomaly Mark F. Amateur Astronomy 4 December 25th 04 01:30 PM