Angular separation

Old April 1st 05, 12:51 AM
garry parker

Default Angular separation

Does angular separation of stars correspond with the FOV of binoculars?
Orions belt spans 2 degrees and 44 mins, but just fits into the FOV of my
binoculars which are rated at 3.5 degrees.
This info would be useful in helping me to decide which of the bins I shall
buy on my shortlist.

Thanks a lot
Garry

Old April 1st 05, 10:31 AM
Stephen Tonkin

garry parker wrote:
Does angular separation of stars correspond with the FOV of binoculars?

Yes.

Orions belt spans 2 degrees and 44 mins, but just fits into the FOV of my
binoculars which are rated at 3.5 degrees.

Statements of binocular FoVs are frequently, to put it mildly, a tad
"creative". Sometimes they are just plain wrong, sometimes they are what
the FoV would have been had some internal baffle not reduced it.

This info would be useful in helping me to decide which of the bins I

shall
buy on my shortlist.

Be careful -- bigger is not always better. Common binoculars with large
FoVs are rarely (if ever) sharp to the edge or anywhere near it, and
suffer from severe vignetting.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old April 2nd 05, 01:18 AM
garry parker

Thanks for the advice, Steve.
I've finally taken the plunge and ordered some Strathspey 20x80's from them
on ebay. They are rated at 3 degrees FOV.

I've been using some no-name 16x50's from a junk shop.
They're really crap bins, but I've seen some nice sights through them, so I
can't wait to see what the Strathspeys can do!

Thanks again
Garry