the comet

Old January 4th 05, 03:21 AM

Default the comet

Have you seen the comet that's out there now? I have. It is now between
the Hyades and the Pleiades, and headed toward the Pleiades in about a
week. It is about 4th mag, but I used birdwatching binos to find it.
It quite unspectacular, just a blob with a bit of a cloud around it.
George

Old January 4th 05, 06:42 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you seen the comet that's out there now? I have. It is now between
the Hyades and the Pleiades, and headed toward the Pleiades in about a
week. It is about 4th mag, but I used birdwatching binos to find it.
It quite unspectacular, just a blob with a bit of a cloud around it.
George

Perception = Reality

In my world, Macholz is awesome.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old January 4th 05, 06:42 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Tom Randy" wrote in message snip
Yeah, we hear that a LOT don't we?

"Is that all it is?"

"Is that all there is?"

"That's it?"

Then you have to explain WHY it's so cool.

Are we still talking about astronomy?

Old January 4th 05, 08:15 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:42:22 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Have you seen the comet that's out there now? I have. It is now between
the Hyades and the Pleiades, and headed toward the Pleiades in about a
week. It is about 4th mag, but I used birdwatching binos to find it.
It quite unspectacular, just a blob with a bit of a cloud around it.
George

Perception = Reality

In my world, Macholz is awesome.

I actually had a clear sky around midnight last night. I got out and
looked at Machholz through my binocs (too damp to take out the scope,
and I was lazy).

I was amazed. Clear skies today, so maybe there is yet hope.

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old January 4th 05, 11:57 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Wally Anglesea™
writes
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:42:22 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
Have you seen the comet that's out there now? I have. It is now between
the Hyades and the Pleiades, and headed toward the Pleiades in about a
week. It is about 4th mag, but I used birdwatching binos to find it.
It quite unspectacular, just a blob with a bit of a cloud around it.
George

Perception = Reality

In my world, Macholz is awesome.

I actually had a clear sky around midnight last night. I got out and
looked at Machholz through my binocs (too damp to take out the scope,
and I was lazy).

I was amazed. Clear skies today, so maybe there is yet hope.

Have you tried photographing it? Any camera that can take an exposure of
10 seconds or more will do. Here's mine - not nearly as good as some
I've seen http://www.merseia.fsnet.co.uk/index.html.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old January 5th 05, 12:23 AM
Wally Anglesea™

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:57:05 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Wally Anglesea™
writes
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:42:22 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
Have you seen the comet that's out there now? I have. It is now between
the Hyades and the Pleiades, and headed toward the Pleiades in about a
week. It is about 4th mag, but I used birdwatching binos to find it.
It quite unspectacular, just a blob with a bit of a cloud around it.
George

Perception = Reality

In my world, Macholz is awesome.

I actually had a clear sky around midnight last night. I got out and
looked at Machholz through my binocs (too damp to take out the scope,
and I was lazy).

I was amazed. Clear skies today, so maybe there is yet hope.

Have you tried photographing it? Any camera that can take an exposure of
10 seconds or more will do. Here's mine - not nearly as good as some
I've seen http://www.merseia.fsnet.co.uk/index.html.

Neat. My current Kodak only does 4 secs, but with the right aperture
on the scope, I should get it. I was going to use the Meade LPI
tonight. Might see what comes up (for just what you *can* get with 4
seconds and a big aperture), go he

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese...Stars.html#NEW

I was doing lightning images recently (with the clouds and storms
blocking any astro things to look at, I was frustrated, and had to
photograph *something*) :-)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese...Lightning.html

Old January 5th 05, 01:25 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:42:57 -0500, Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Tom Randy" wrote in message snip
Yeah, we hear that a LOT don't we?

"Is that all it is?"

"Is that all there is?"

"That's it?"

Then you have to explain WHY it's so cool.

Are we still talking about astronomy?

Yup. Couldn't be anything else in my case!