eBay Security update email?

Old December 9th 03, 06:22 PM
Bill Becker

Default eBay Security update email?

This looks fishy to me:

"Dear eBay User,

During our regular udpate and verification of the accounts, we couldn't
verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it
is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on Ebay has been restricted. To start
using your eBay account fully, please update and verify your information by
clicking below :

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayIS...ifyInformation

Regards,

eBay

**Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A Responce**

Best regards,

Bill

Old December 9th 03, 06:49 PM
Marty

There are a number of these going around, and they are a definite scam
to get information for identity theft. Ebay won't ask for sensitive
info with an email.
Marty

Old December 9th 03, 06:53 PM
Jon Isaacs

This looks fishy to me:

"Dear eBay User,

My sister accidentally responded to a similar request. Of course it was
fraudulent.

She ended up cancelling all here credit cards, bank accounds....

It was a big mess that is still going on.

jon
Old December 9th 03, 06:57 PM
Jim Miller

notice the spelling of "response".

jtm

"Bill Becker" wrote in message
This looks fishy to me:

"Dear eBay User,

[...]

Old December 9th 03, 07:10 PM
donutbandit

"Bill Becker" wrote in
:

This looks fishy to me:

"Dear eBay User,

During our regular udpate and verification of the accounts, we
couldn't verify your current information. Either your information has
changed or it is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on Ebay has been restricted. To
start using your eBay account fully, please update and verify your
information by clicking below :

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayIS...ifyInformation

Regards,

eBay

**Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A
Responce**

eBay NEVER sends out any such requests. If you'll read the fine print at
their website, they will tell you so.

This has become a popular way for scammers who have been banned from eBay
to "hijack" the good accounts of others. The intent is to make one big hit
and run. Most of them are overseas - notice the spelling of "responce."

Once the scammer has the password to the account, he offers up some pig in
a poke for auction, using the hijacked account. The auction almost always
specifies a cashiers check for payment. Since he can't change the email
address for the account without verifying it, he always runs the risk of
detection. However, it's amazing how often they get away with it. They
usually choose an account that hasn't been active recently, figuring the
account's owner isn't paying much attention to it.

Recently, several non existent Hallicrafters SX-88 radios were "sold" this
way. The pics and information were pirated from a recent genuine auction of
such a radio. The SX-88 is an eagerly sought after collector's item, and
usually sells for four figures.

Old December 9th 03, 07:20 PM
Bill Becker

That's what triggered my initial doubt, then...when you click on the link,
the addy doesn't start with https.

Best regards,
Bill

news

Old December 9th 03, 07:24 PM
Bill Becker

"Kevin Rehberg" wrote in message
news:1ccb6dbe6543677b6aa68ea114a1ed14.61639@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Bill Becker" wrote in message

This looks fishy to me:

*snip*

This is a big SCAM! Do not, under any circumstance, give personal
information such as ebay passwords, over the internet.

* I can see where this particular scam might actually snare some
unknowing victims.*

I hope my post helps *all* SAA users avoid a major headache.

Best regards,
Bill

Old December 9th 03, 07:40 PM
Michael Boschat

Default eBay Security update email? OOHHH_OHHH!!!

Hi:

Ohh..oh... I got one clicked on the email , went to the website
but it said no website existed, alot of "&&&&&"
I did not enter any password or username, as nothing came up to enter them in?

Did I screw up?

Mike
Old December 9th 03, 08:22 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Bill,

This garbage has been making rounds recently as has been the case
with a similar message supposedly from PayPal. Also, note the typo near
the end in regards to the word "responce". :-)

Anthony.

Old December 9th 03, 08:57 PM
Ray Porter

I've turned several of these in to Ebay for investigation over the past
couple of years. I get so many now I just ignore them. There are a couple
pretending to be from Paypal making the rounds now too. Neither
organization sends out any such requests.

Ray