Sun and Earth not ideal for developing life.

Old August 12th 09, 06:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Sun and Earth not ideal for developing life.

Earth should be larger; Sun should be smaller and slower burning:
http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/1...s-nearly-over/

Pat
Old August 12th 09, 11:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Damien Valentine

On Aug 12, 1:38*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Earth should be larger; Sun should be smaller and slower burning:http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/1...-timescale-the...

Pat

Any chance a thicker atmosphere would block too many UV rays to
trigger mutation? Maybe life would have greater longevity on a super-
Earth in a K-type system, but I wonder whether life would be as
diverse.
Old August 12th 09, 02:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Damien Valentine wrote:
On Aug 12, 1:38 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Earth should be larger; Sun should be smaller and slower burning:http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/1...-timescale-the...

Pat

Any chance a thicker atmosphere would block too many UV rays to
trigger mutation? Maybe life would have greater longevity on a super-
Earth in a K-type system, but I wonder whether life would be as
diverse.

I would assume that fewer UV rays would mean less UV protection on the
plants and animals inhabiting the planet, so mutation via that process
would remain about the same. Of course there are other ways of
triggering mutation, such as inbreeding among closely related
individuals in isolated population groups, as may have occurred to
humanity after the eruption of Mt. Toba:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Pat
Old August 12th 09, 04:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

In other news of the made-up, rumors abound that the Kepler space
observatory has appearently sighted a ring like structure around
an yet-to-be announced K-type main sequence star.

The exact nature of the ring and its composition have yet to be
determined....

;-)

Dave
Old August 12th 09, 04:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Anthony Frost

In message
David Spain wrote:

In other news of the made-up, rumors abound that the Kepler space
observatory has appearently sighted a ring like structure around
an yet-to-be announced K-type main sequence star.

The exact nature of the ring and its composition have yet to be
determined....

Have they checked its neutrino obscuring qualities yet?

Anthony

Old August 12th 09, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Anthony Frost wrote:
In message
David Spain wrote:

In other news of the made-up, rumors abound that the Kepler space
observatory has appearently sighted a ring like structure around
an yet-to-be announced K-type main sequence star.

The exact nature of the ring and its composition have yet to be
determined....

Have they checked its neutrino obscuring qualities yet?

Anthony

I just hope we never run into something like the Kzin, although I'd bet
the Klingons would think they are some really cool cats.

Pat
Old August 12th 09, 10:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...No, but the polarity of the neutron flow was found to be reversed.

Don't send a spacecraft named "Doppleganger" to it!

Pat
Old August 13th 09, 01:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jonathan

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Earth should be larger; Sun should be smaller and slower burning:
http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/1...s-nearly-over/

Ideal conditions? Life is adaptive and opportunistic. Life is resilient
and can effect it's own envirnoment.

Life doesn't need ideal conditions. It needs a chance.
Mars is cold today for the same reason the Earth has
had so many ice ages. There wasn't enough life to
stabilize the biosphere.

Pat

Old December 3rd 09, 02:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Sylvia Else

Pat Flannery wrote:
Earth should be larger; Sun should be smaller and slower burning:
http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/1...s-nearly-over/

Pat

Seems a bit of a leap. Until we know exactly how life started, we can't
make a call on what the crucial elements of the environment might have been.

While it's clearly true that having a habitable environment for a few
tens of billions of years is better than just the handful we get, in
terms of longevity, that doesn't help if all planets around such stars
remain barren because of some fundamental lack that prevents life from
getting started in the first place.

Sylvia.
Old December 5th 09, 03:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Dec 2, 6:50*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:
Earth should be larger; Sun should be smaller and slower burning:
http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/1...-timescale-the...

Pat

Seems a bit of a leap. Until we know exactly how life started, we can't
make a call on what the crucial elements of the environment might have been.

While it's clearly true that having a habitable environment for a few
tens of billions of years is better than just the handful we get, in
terms of longevity, that doesn't help if all planets around such stars
remain barren because of some fundamental lack that prevents life from
getting started in the first place.

Sylvia.

Pat just likes to blow.

Complex biodiversity can take place and evolve on planets and moons
far less suitable than Earth, and technology of directed panspermia
does that process a good thousand, million, billion or even trillion
fold better yet.

~ BG

Earth+Moon=Life G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 11 May 22nd 07 06:43 PM
life outside the earth Chris SETI 9 July 26th 05 03:52 PM
Life outside the Earth Chris SETI 165 July 24th 05 10:12 PM