Broken radiator on S1

Old March 22nd 09, 05:56 PM posted to sci.space.station
John Doe

Default Broken radiator on S1

Does anyone have the scoop on the broken radiator on S1 ? I saw glimpses
of it during a short stint of watching the EVA.

Is it just some protective cover that is ripped, but the ammonia tubing
inside is still OK ? Has ammonia leaked ?

Is the whole unit inoperative because of this, or are they still using
it to cool the station ? (can they isolate individual "tiles" in the
array ?)

Whn did the rip happen ? When it was installed ? or sometimes more
recently ?
Old March 23rd 09, 09:34 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

I think it happened over time. I also seem to recall other radiators have
suffered damage as well, but within expected limits. I imagine the photos
etc are in part to understand quite why that particular one has peeled so
badly. Its still in use but if there are thermally stressed areas the infra
red photos whould show this.
No leaks as far as I'm aware.

Maybe someone here has a history to this.

The other damage of course is on the service module where a cover seems to
have sprung up and shows the lagging inside.

Brian

Email:

"John Doe" wrote in message
Does anyone have the scoop on the broken radiator on S1 ? I saw glimpses
of it during a short stint of watching the EVA.

Is it just some protective cover that is ripped, but the ammonia tubing
inside is still OK ? Has ammonia leaked ?

Is the whole unit inoperative because of this, or are they still using
it to cool the station ? (can they isolate individual "tiles" in the
array ?)

Whn did the rip happen ? When it was installed ? or sometimes more
recently ?

ACS on HST broken? Phineas T Puddleduck Astronomy Misc 14 June 29th 06 05:31 PM
ACS on HST broken? Phineas T Puddleduck Misc 13 June 29th 06 05:31 PM
Microscopic Radiator Flying on "Skin" of a NASA Spacecraft Set toLaunch March 14 (Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 March 13th 06 05:43 PM
Google is Broken! Double-A Misc 1 September 19th 05 11:03 PM
Broken GS 12" dob Ashley Amateur Astronomy 7 September 15th 03 08:49 PM