Daily Report #4948

Old October 9th 09, 04:16 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4948

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #4948

PERIOD COVERED: 5am October 8 - 5am October 9, 2009 (DOY 281/09:00z-282/09:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC 11408

NICMOS Focus and PAM Grid Tilt Tests

The purpose of this proposal is determine the PAM settings
corresponding to best focus for NIC1 and NIC2. A test will aslo be
done on NIC3 in order to establish that the nominal PAM position of
-9.5mm relative to mechanical zero results in an acceptable focus.

The program consists of: Visit 01: Focus sweep using NIC1 Visit 02:
Focus sweep using NIC2 Visit 03: Focus sweep using NIC3 Visit 04:
Uplink of revised PAM settings (if needed) Visit 05: PAM X/Y grid tilt
for NIC1 Visit 06: PAM X/Y grid tilt for NIC2 Visit 07: PAM X/Y grid
tilt for NIC3 Visit 08: Uplink of revised PAM X/Y parameters (if
needed)

The focus sweeps are based on the normal focus monitoring proposal
11320. The tilt grid measurements are based on proposal 8977 (NIC1)
and 9645 (NIC2 and NIC3).

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 11947

Extended Dark Monitoring

This program takes a series of darks to obtain darks (including
amplifier glow, dark current, and shading profiles) for all three
cameras in the read-out sequences used in Cycle 17. A set of 12 orbits
will be observed every two months for a total of 72 orbits for a 12
month Cycle 17. This is a continuation of Cycle 16 program 11330
scaled down by ~80%.

The first orbit (Visit A0) should be scheduled in the NICMOS SMOV
after the DC Transfer Test (11406) and at least 36h before the Filter
Wheel Test (11407). Data download using fast track.

The following 28 orbits (visit A1-N2) should be scheduled AFTER the
SMOV Proposal 11407 (Filter Wheel Test). This is done in order to
monitor the dark current following an adjustment of the NCS set-point.
These visits should be executed until the final temperature is reached
during SMOV.

NIC2 11166

The Mass-dependent Evolution of the Black Hole-Bulge Relations

In the local universe, the masses of giant black holes are correlated
with the luminosities, masses and velocity dispersions of their host
galaxy bulges. This indicates a surprisingly close connection between
the evolution of galactic nuclei (on parsec scales) and of stars on
kpc scales. A key observational test of proposed explanations for
these correlations is to measure how they have evolved over cosmic
time. Our ACS imaging of 20 Seyfert 1 galaxies at z=0.37 showed them
to have smaller bulges (by a factor of 3) for a given central black
hole mass than is found in galaxies in the present-day universe.
However, since all our sample galaxies had black hole masses in the
range 10^8.0--8.5 Msun, we could only measure the OFFSET in black hole
mass to bulge luminosity ratios from the present epoch. By extending
this study to black hole masses another factor of 10 lower, we propose
to determine the full CORRELATION of black hole mass with host galaxy
properties at a lookback time of 4 Gyrs and to test mass-dependency of
the evolution. We have selected 14 Seyfert galaxies from SDSS DR5
whose narrow Hbeta emission lines (and estimated nuclear luminosities)
imply that they have black hole masses around 10^7 Msuns. We will soon
complete our Keck spectroscopic measures of their bulge velocity
dispersions. We need a 1-orbit NICMOS image of each galaxy to separate
its nonstellar luminosity from its bulge and disk. This will allow us
to make the first determination of the full black hole/bulge relations
at z=0.37 (e.g. M-L and M-sigma), as well as a test of whether active
galaxies obey the Fundamental Plane relation at that epoch.

NIC2/WFC3/IR 11548

Infrared Imaging of Protostars in the Orion A Cloud: The Role of
Environment in Star Formation

We propose NICMOS and WFC3/IR observations of a sample of 252
protostars identified in the Orion A cloud with the Spitzer Space
Telescope. These observations will image the scattered light escaping
the protostellar envelopes, providing information on the shapes of
outflow cavities, the inclinations of the protostars, and the overall
morphologies of the envelopes. In addition, we ask for Spitzer time to
obtain 55-95 micron spectra of 75 of the protostars. Combining these
new data with existing 3.6 to 70 micron photometry and forthcoming
5-40 micron spectra measured with the Spitzer Space Telescope, we will
determine the physical properties of the protostars such as envelope
density, luminosity, infall rate, and outflow cavity opening angle. By
examining how these properties vary with stellar density (i.e.
clusters vs. groups vs. isolation) and the properties of the
surrounding molecular cloud; we can directly measure how the
surrounding environment influences protostellar evolution, and
consequently, the formation of stars and planetary systems.
Ultimately, this data will guide the development of a theory of
protostellar evolution.

STIS/CCD 11806

Coordinated Observations of LCROSS Impacts

We propose to observe the LCROSS (Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing
Satellite) impacts. This program will use STIS and WFC3 to observe the
Moon in conjunction with NASA's LCROSS mission (assuming Servicing
Mission 4 occurs before the LCROSS impacts). The goal is to determine
whether or not water ice and/or vapor is present in the subsurface of
the Moon. We will address this issue by 1) observing the sunlit ejecta
plume created by the LCROSS impacts and 2) examine the Lunar exosphere
for the presence of OH and other volatile species.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

WFC3/IR 11618

WFC3 Observations of VeLLOs and the Youngest Star Forming Environments

The Cores-to-Disks Spitzer Legacy team has discovered a number of
extremely low luminosity sources embedded deep within nearby ( 300
pc) cores previously thought to be starless. With substellar masses,
these low luminosity sources represent either the youngest low-mass
protostars yet detected or the first embedded brown dwarfs. In either
case, they represent a new observed class of sources referred to as
VeLLOs (Very Low Luminosity Objects). We propose WFC3 F160W
observations of a small sample of these sources, to be combined with
deep ground-based observations at Ks, to address a broad set of issues
concerning VeLLOs and the environments within which they are forming.
First, the morphology of their outflow cavities will be traced,
yielding estimates of the inclinations and opening angles of the
cavities and the evolutionary stages of the VeLLOs. Second, our
observations will reveal background stars seen through the densest
regions of cores harboring these VeLLOs. The color-excesses of the
background stars will yield the highest angular resolution extinction
maps necessary to directly probe the inner density structure of these
cores, found very soon after the onset of collapse, which would
constrain the initial conditions of collapse within these isolated
environments. In addition, we will construct similar maps of the dense
pre-protostellar core L694-2 and the protostellar core B335. These
maps will provide a snapshot of the evolution of the inner density
structure of a core prior to low-mass star formation and soon
thereafter, for comparison with the inner density structure of cores
that have formed VeLLOs. Finally, these extinction maps will enable us
to determine the core "centers", or positions of peak column
densities. Comparison of these centers with the positions of the
VeLLOs may yield insight regarding potential differences between the
formation of low-mass stars and brown dwarfs.

WFC3/UVIS 11594

A WFC3 Grism Survey for Lyman Limit Absorption at z=2

We propose to conduct a spectroscopic survey of Lyman limit absorbers
at redshifts 1.8 z 2.5, using WFC3 and the G280 grism. This
proposal intends to complete an approved Cycle 15 SNAP program
(10878), which was cut short due to the ACS failure. We have selected
64 quasars at 2.3 z 2.6 from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
Spectroscopic Quasar Sample, for which no BAL signature is found at
the QSO redshift and no strong metal absorption lines are present at z
2.3 along the lines of sight. The survey has three main

observational goals. First, we will determine the redshift frequency
dn/dz of the LLS over the column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 20.3
cm^-2. Second, we will measure the column density frequency
distribution f(N) for the partial Lyman limit systems (PLLS) over the
column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 17.5 cm^-2. Third, we will
identify those sightlines which could provide a measurement of the
primordial D/H ratio. By carrying out this survey, we can also help
place meaningful constraints on two key quantities of cosmological
relevance. First, we will estimate the amount of metals in the LLS
using the f(N), and ground based observations of metal line
transitions. Second, by determining f(N) of the PLLS, we can constrain
the amplitude of the ionizing UV background at z~2 to a greater
precision. This survey is ideal for a snapshot observing program,
because the on-object integration times are all well below 30 minutes,
and follow-up observations from the ground require minimal telescope
time due to the QSO sample being bright.

WFC3/UVIS 11903

UVIS Photometric Zero Points

This proposal obtains the photometric zero points in 53 of the 62
UVIS/WFC3 filters: the 18 broad-band filters, 8 medium-band filters,
16 narrow-band filters, and 11 of the 20 quad filters (those being
used in cycle 17). The observations will be primary obtained by
observing the hot DA white dwarf standards GD153 and G191-B2B. A
redder secondary standard, P330E, will be observed in a subset of the
filters to provide color corrections. Repeat observations in 16 of the
most widely used cycle 17 filters will be obtained once per month for
the first three months, and then once every second month for the
duration of cycle 17, alternating and depending on target
availability. These observations will enable monitoring of the
stability of the photometric system. Photometric transformation
equations will be calculated by comparing the photometry of stars in
two globular clusters, 47 Tuc and NGC 2419, to previous measurements
with other telescopes/instruments.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 10 10
FGS REAcq 06 06
OBAD with Maneuver 08 08

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report #4579 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 1st 08 02:32 PM
Daily Report # 4338 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 11th 07 04:13 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM