most beautifull telescope

Old September 30th 10, 01:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

Default most beautifull telescope

On 9/29/10 1:39 AM, chloe_luna wrote:
what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

If you have a decent size living room (i.e. Gatesian) I hear the Yerkes
40inch is changing hands...

Old September 30th 10, 03:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

chloe_luna wrote:
what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

Beautiful... but the $39,500 price is absurd... although he DID say
"price is no object"...

\Paul A
Old September 30th 10, 04:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jwarner1

Sam Wormley wrote:

On 9/29/10 3:39 AM, chloe_luna wrote:
what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

The most beautiful telescope is the one you use the most (for
observing, imaging or spectroscopy).

imaging or spectroscopy ?

eating or cooking?

Old September 30th 10, 04:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jwarner1[_2_]

chloe_luna wrote:

what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

then you are in luck - the answer is: NONE.

you are an idiot. Better to get a stuffed cyote for your living room.

or a Ford 1050 4x4 8x8 20x20 with no muffler.

Old September 30th 10, 04:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thad Floryan

On 9/29/2010 5:58 AM, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 9/29/10 3:39 AM, chloe_luna wrote:
what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

The most beautiful telescope is the one you use the most (for
observing, imaging or spectroscopy).

As typical, you seldom seem to read and understand others' posts
and your replies reflect that dysfunction.

Back you go in the kill file with Oriel's other acolytes, lackeys,
minions and sycophants.

Old September 30th 10, 09:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 30, 4:50*am, Thad Floryan wrote:
On 9/29/2010 5:58 AM, Sam Wormley wrote:

On 9/29/10 3:39 AM, chloe_luna wrote:
what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

* The most beautiful telescope is the one you use the most (for
* observing, imaging or spectroscopy).

As typical, you seldom seem to read and understand others' posts
and your replies reflect that dysfunction.

Back you go in the kill file with Oriel's other acolytes, lackeys,
minions and sycophants.

You will never know the satisfaction of coming through this without
giving in to the usual empirical tactic of making things personal,in
the end it turns out that mathematicians can't count the 1461
rotations between the beginning of Mar 1st 2008 until the end of Feb
29th 2012 and that puts things in perspective.As a Christian,I
understand that you get what you deserve and not what you want so the
attempt to displace geometry as the language of astronomy has failed
in bringing about what is probably the darkest intellectual period in
human history.

It could be that your present position is below the creationists
assuming they can count the 365 1/4 rotations in an orbital circuit so
leaving you both to your own devices at those respective intellectual
levels it is the Church which receives the worst condemnation for
abandoning its astronomical heritage and not dealing properly with the
catastrophic split which plagues Christianity.

Have a ball tormenting people of faith but remember when you can't
handle basic arithmetic you can say just about anything you wish.

Old September 30th 10, 11:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

chloe_luna wrote:
what is the nicest looking telescope forget the view through it for a
moment. which telescope will look best in the corner of my
livingroom.

3 rules:

it must be comercially available today (regardless of waiting list
length)

it must be at least 100mm aperture (I still want to use it for
astronomy)

cost is no object

Beautiful... but the $39,500 price is absurd... although he DID say
"price is no object"...

Not the sort of thing you would want to leave out in the garden, even
if it were bolted down somehow.

Fewer than sixty original garden telescopes were made, fewer than
twenty are now known to exist, what happened to the rest? Melted down
in a scrap metal drive?

An original example sold for $18k a few years ago. $40K for a
reproduction? Something like that wouldn't be easy to make.

Old September 30th 10, 02:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 9/30/10 3:31 AM, oriel36 wrote:
...remember when you can't
handle basic arithmetic you can say just about anything you wish.

Says the guy who can't do algebra!
Old September 30th 10, 06:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 30, 2:36*pm, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 01:31:38 -0700 (PDT), oriel36 wrote:
Have a ball tormenting people of faith but remember when you can't
handle basic arithmetic you can say just about anything you wish.

You are not being persecuted because of your faith; so you can abandon
any pretense of that.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

Are you kidding me !,my ability to work with astronomical affairs is
from the same type of intuitive intelligence that sees the point of
Christ and Christianity,almost like a background canvas that is both
personal and Universal and where the creative powers we see in nature
meet the creative powers of the individual.Newton thought like an
Arian as though natural science is a begrudging thing where only a
forceful imposition of laws governs celestial and terrestrial
phenomena whereas the interpretative approach of astronomy is almost
like a mirror that is constantly showing a reflection,breaking the
mirror only to show a new reflection and you often see it in the works
of people who really achieve something such as Wegener as he applied
it to geology -

"Scientists still do not appear to understand sufficiently that all
earth sciences must contribute evidence toward unveiling the state of
our planet in earlier times, and that the truth of the matter can only
be reached by combing all this evidence. . . It is only by combing the
information furnished by all the earth sciences that we can hope to
determine 'truth' here, that is to say, to find the picture that sets
out all the known facts in the best arrangement and that therefore has
the highest degree of probability. Further, we have to be prepared
always for the possibility that each new discovery, no matter what
science furnishes it, may modify the conclusions we draw." Alfred
Wegener. The Origins of Continents and Oceans

It is true that many understand God and religion at their own level
and this is fine and no problem there as it often surfaces as an
affirmation of the goodness of creation and a power greater than the
individual,there are others who,let us say,have a more substantial
understanding of faith that is found in the opposite end of the
spectrum where both the highs and lows are and the travail of life
becomes interesting.Many Christian works contain that amazing journey
through the competing opposites that go on in the heart of an
individual and far from being remote and distant from the existence of
everyday life,it is at the core of it.As a Christian who sees that the
life of Christ does not end in the pain of the cross but in the
garden,so it is with all Christians who feel the inspiration like a
drop of water in the Ocean of Life for it does sweep away the
pretenses of an individual ,including mine.

There is no religious persecution,there are people who form an image
of God as one thing or another yet at the center of Christian belief
is that man and God are known instinctively through the works of both
and that is why I so admire the works of my astronomical ancestors and
indeed all good people in all human endeavors big an small.The
unbeliever reading the following Christian text would probably see
nothing even if it forms the balance between the form of God and
religion as people understand it personally,in the form of visible
things or as the great combination of both -

'That it that is the pre-eminent Cause of all things intelligibly
perceived is not itself any of those things.'

"Again, ascending yet higher, we maintain that it is neither soul nor
intellect; nor has it imagination, opinion reason or understanding;
nor can it be expressed or conceived, since it is neither number nor
order; nor greatness nor smallness; nor equality nor inequality; nor
similarity nor dissimilarity; neither is it standing, nor moving, nor
at rest; neither has it power nor is power, nor is light; neither does
it live nor is it life; neither is it essence, nor eternity nor time;
nor is it subject to intelligible contact; nor is it science nor
truth, nor kingship nor wisdom; neither one nor oneness, nor godhead
nor goodness; nor is it spirit according to our understanding, nor
filiation, nor paternity; nor anything else known to us or to any
other beings of the things that are or the things that are not;
neither does anything that is know it as it is; nor does it know
existing things according to existing knowledge; neither can the
reason attain to it, nor name it, nor know it; neither is it darkness
nor light, nor the false nor the true; nor can any affirmation or
negation be applied to it, for although we may affirm or deny the
things below it, we can neither affirm nor deny it, inasmuch as the
all-perfect and unique Cause of all things transcends all affirmation,
and the simple pre-eminence of Its absolute nature is outside of every
negation- free from every limitation and beyond them all." Dionysius
the Areopagite

It is when people take a wider view rather than give themselves more
choices that it becomes possible to enjoy the celestial and
terrestrial arena as an intellectual pursuit,it comes naturally to a
Christian perspective even if sometimes denominational Christianity is
inclined to get in the way just as empirical institutions do with
science.