Why Colonize Space?

Old July 21st 09, 11:38 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Jim Davis

Default Why Colonize Space?

G. L. Bradford wrote:

There are the
Frontier's People (inlcuding me who is simply a frontier
colonialist....willing to help further any way to "Let the
people go!") and then there are the Corral's Sheeple.

chuckle

Hypocrisy so thick you could frost a cake with it!

Brad, the difference between you and those "Sheeple" is that they
have enough class not to boast about doing things they'll never do.
The only thing you've ever colonized is a residential subdivision.

Jim Davis
Old July 22nd 09, 01:11 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Howard Brazee

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 00:05:36 +0200, "Piwne Oczy Ma"
wrote:

Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth.

Of course there is no reason for humans to leave Earth. Any scientific and
industrial activity in an environment where there is no abundance of cheap
human labor and free life support services can be performed much more
efficiently using robotic equipment.

There's no reason for us to stay on Earth. The universe and the
planet can exist without us if we die out.

- James Madison
Old July 22nd 09, 02:24 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Louann Miller

Howard Brazee wrote in
:

There's no reason for us to stay on Earth. The universe and the
planet can exist without us if we die out.

There's a logic gap between your first and second sentences. In fact, one
of the local Navaho tribes is building a scenic overlook with a glass
bridge to help their tourism income.

Not that either sentence per se is wrong. Just, whoa.

Old July 22nd 09, 05:25 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Pat Flannery

Scott Lurndal wrote:
You've confused "space" with "manned space"
The only ones that have made a buck off of manned space are the Russians
with their space tourist program.
And you notice that they just take one tourist along on a already
planned trip to the ISS, and haven't started to send up Soyuz flights
with all-tourist crews, or build a space station just for tourist use.

Pat

http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/

Hasn't made penny one yet...nor does it have a operational space hotel
even finalized in design yet, much less launched.
I was referring to the Russians though, they could make a Salyut
module-based tourist hotel fairly easily and send tourists up to it via
Soyuz spacecraft.
But they haven't, because once you get into dedicated tourist flights as
opposed to sending a tourist along on a ISS re-crewing flight the
economics fall apart.

Pat
Old July 22nd 09, 05:35 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
G. L. Bradford

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
. 3.70...
G. L. Bradford wrote:

There are the
Frontier's People (inlcuding me who is simply a frontier
colonialist....willing to help further any way to "Let the
people go!") and then there are the Corral's Sheeple.

chuckle

Hypocrisy so thick you could frost a cake with it!

Brad, the difference between you and those "Sheeple" is that they
have enough class not to boast about doing things they'll never do.
The only thing you've ever colonized is a residential subdivision.

Jim Davis

=========================

I can be pretty damn certain now that you are not one of my (Bradford)
family's many Davis cousins. Thanks for the confirmation.

GL

=========================

Old July 22nd 09, 06:18 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
darwinist

On Jul 21, 7:47*am, Immortalista wrote:
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

How weak and irrelevant? Which arguments are you talking about? I'm
personally in favour of colonising space, but without knowing what
arguments you're talking about, how can we judge their strength or
relevancy?
Old July 22nd 09, 07:26 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
stfuudork

Immortalista wrote:
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

I think it best (in my opinion) that humans fix Earth before going to
other planets. Everyone has a right to a safe and happy life. A right
to have dreams and have them fulfilled, to study and learn. The expense
involved with leaving Earth just isn't justified when so many people
live without hope and die of such stupid and simply fixed problems like
hunger. But I do understand the people who say that Humans should have a
bet both ways in case of an asteroid impact or similar extinction type
event.

Old July 22nd 09, 01:38 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.econ
Giga

"Quadibloc" wrote in message
On Jul 20, 8:51 pm, "Giga" "Giga" just(removetheseandaddmatthe end)
wrote:

I'm sure there are other sheilding methods than just great big lumps of
lead. Surely one can generate something of a magnetic field around the
spaceship (loads of free electricity after all).

Not all forms of radiation consist of electrically charged particles.

John Savard

= Then the question is would they be still at a dangerous level, or could
they be stopped by some other material if they were.

Old July 22nd 09, 01:40 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.econ
Giga

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
John Stafford wrote
Quadibloc wrote
Giga just(removetheseandaddmatthe end) wrote

I'm sure there are other sheilding methods than just great big
lumps of lead. Surely one can generate something of a magnetic
field around the spaceship (loads of free electricity after all).

Not all forms of radiation consist of electrically charged particles.

John, but aren't the uncharged particles harmless to us?

Nope, most obviously with Xrays.

I'm probably confused regarding ionized and not.

Just very confused.

OP: How about surrounding the craft with water tanks (of ice).
Water will be necessary anyway.

Doesnt stop plenty of things.

Maybe this is why they are considderring the moon first as staging post. To
lauch the 'necessary' shielding from there, perhaps collected on the moon
itself, would save a lot of lauch weight from earth. You could probably just
use a load of basalt?