A "ring of fire" solar eclipse is coming to the USA this spring

Old January 28th 12, 05:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default A "ring of fire" solar eclipse is coming to the USA this spring

NASA Science News for Jan. 27, 2012

A "ring of fire" solar eclipse is coming to the USA this spring. It's
the first annular eclipse visible from the contiguous United States in
almost 18 years.

FULL STORY at
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...nnulareclipse/
Old January 28th 12, 06:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Jan 27, 8:07*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
NASA Science News for Jan. 27, 2012

A "ring of fire" solar eclipse is coming to the USA this spring. It's
the first annular eclipse visible from the contiguous United States in
almost 18 years.

FULL STORY athttp://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/27jan_annul...

Looks like a Road Trip is in my future.

Might be a great time to visit my friend in Texas who has a 48" dob...

http://tinyurl.com/7cltcjg

.... that's me on the 16-foot ladder!

He lives about 4 hours from the centerline.

\Paul A
Old January 28th 12, 07:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

palsing wrote:
Looks like a Road Trip is in my future.

Might be a great time to visit my friend in Texas who has a 48" dob...

http://tinyurl.com/7cltcjg

... that's me on the 16-foot ladder!

He lives about 4 hours from the centerline.

\Paul A

Yeah, better make it Texas. Your "papers" might not pass muster in
Arizona and you could end up in a concentration camp.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 28th 12, 06:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-01-28, Davoud wrote:
palsing wrote:
Looks like a Road Trip is in my future.

Might be a great time to visit my friend in Texas who has a 48" dob...

http://tinyurl.com/7cltcjg

... that's me on the 16-foot ladder!

He lives about 4 hours from the centerline.

\Paul A

Yeah, better make it Texas. Your "papers" might not pass muster in
Arizona and you could end up in a concentration camp.

Hang on for the big one in 2017. Maximum total eclipse will be in Oak
Grove, Kentucky.

Bud
Old January 28th 12, 06:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Doug[_4_]

Paul,

Thanks for posting the photo - that is quite a scope.

A rather precarious looking perch atop the ladder.

Where would you be traveling from?

I usually resist commenting on the off-topic, politically motivated BS comments - however
the comment about having 'papers' and ending up in a concentration camp in Arizona just
struck me as being most inappropriate for the topic and group.

The comment was likely related to administration of those that enter the country illegally
- which I suspect does not apply to you.

Being in Texas, although not on the southern border - illegal incursions from the south is
a major problem that is not getting any better.

Hard to understand why some inject their political / social views when unrelated to the
primary discussion topic.

Enjoy your trip to Texas or Arizona!

Regards,

Doug

Old January 28th 12, 06:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 28, 6:40*am, Davoud wrote:
palsing wrote:
Looks like a Road Trip is in my future.

Might be a great time to visit my friend in Texas who has a 48" dob...

http://tinyurl.com/7cltcjg

... that's me on the 16-foot ladder!

He lives about 4 hours from the centerline.

\Paul A

Yeah, better make it Texas. Your "papers" might not pass muster in
Arizona and you could end up in a concentration camp.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

I have to laugh at your silliness even as you attempt to chastise the
American people for not knowing basic facts while getting the first
one wrong -

"The lack of even a basic understanding of science among the American
people is appalling. Most people can’t answer the most basic questions
about the world around them. How long does it take for the Earth to
complete one rotation on its axis? (Hint: it’s not 24 hours.) " Illig

http://www.primordial-light.com/scienceis.html

What you do is assume that the average 24 hour day substitutes for
steady rotation at 15 degrees per hour and assume the variations in
the natural noon cycle are due to variations in the orbital component
to natural noon of which there are 1461 cycles close enough to 4
orbital circuits so while there is no external reference for rotation
as an independent motion,one value it is nowhere near is 23 hours 56
minutes 04 seconds nor the utterly wretched imbalance of 1465
rotations in 1461 days.Great magnification equipment you have,pity
your mind is cluttered with junk.

================================================== ================================================== ==================

A challenge to vanity may be the one way to call attention to this
tragedy and stem the damage as there is no immediate move towards a
clear resolution which is badly needed.

Old January 28th 12, 07:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Jove

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Doug,

I'd say you need to activate your killfile filters and you'll be a much
happier person in the end! As I told another poster a while back, my
"trailer trash" files consist of Davoud, ChrisB, Wretch, Min, Oriel, Brad
Guth.... I can't think of any others as it has been a lllooonnnggg time
since I've seen their posts. All are guilty as charged when it comes to
vicious attacks without provocation, showing consistent arrogance, and
oftentimes distortion of facts. They also fail to respect opinions opposite
their own. No, better to stay in their tiny, run down, trashy trailer
parks.

Oh, and don't bother replying you trailer trash idiots. The only way I
might see your posts is if someone else includes yours in their reply.... or
you change ID's as one of you did that the last time, but it only takes a
second to add your new ID to the "trailer trash" file too.

Bye!

Old January 28th 12, 07:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 1/28/12 11:44 AM, oriel36 wrote:
"The lack of even a basic understanding of science among the American
people is appalling. Most people can’t answer the most basic questions
about the world around them. How long does it take for the Earth to
complete one rotation on its axis? (Hint: it’s not 24 hours.)

Most lesser-educated people know that the earth rotates once per
solar day. I takes a bit more education for folks to realize that
the earth rotates a full 360° with respect to the "fixed" stars
(and the universe as a whole) in 23.9344696 hours. You, Gerald,
are not among those with a bit more education. :-o

Old January 28th 12, 07:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jan 28, 6:18*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 1/28/12 11:44 AM, oriel36 wrote:

"The lack of even a basic understanding of science among the American
people is appalling. Most people can’t answer the most basic questions
about the world around them. How long does it take for the Earth to
complete one rotation on its axis? (Hint: it’s not 24 hours.)

* *Most lesser-educated people know that the earth rotates once per
* *solar day.

Solar day indeed !,the astronomical heritage I come from sees only the
natural noon cycles and the 24 hour AM/PM cycles attached to them.The
reason you can predict a solar eclipse as a day and date within the Ra/
Dec system is that all things move relative to each other within this
continuously rotating celestial sphere so long as you know it is built
on a continuous framework of 3 year of 365 days and 1 year of 366 days
using a 24 hour average.Did I mention there are both 1461 natural noon
cycles and average 24 hour cycles within that 4 years period that is
coming to an end on Feb 29th this year ?.

Why should any parent suffer their child to sit in front of a dummy
who can't figure out why there is no such thing as a wandering
analemma Sun for the moon to eclipse.I can tell you all about people
made stupid through indoctrination and precious few with the courage
to find their way to a more productive and creative views and these
will be the people who eventually come to the forefront and I couldn't
care less what they believed previously,they have the chance to change
things around.

I takes a bit more education for folks to realize that
* *the earth rotates a full 360° with respect to the "fixed" stars
* *(and the universe as a whole) in 23.9344696 hours.

No, homocentric stellar circumpolar motion is what you are talking
about -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYy0EQBnqHI

It requires a certain talent to know that you are using the average 24
hour day within a framework of 1461 days to arrive at your conclusion
and not enough sense to appreciate that the core system works off the
annual return of a star within the orbital framework and not the daily
return of a star to a meridian.

You, Gerald,
* *are not among those with a bit more education. *:-o

It was not good enough that you now know where the predictive system
of Ra/Dec is an outrigger of the human devised calendar cycle which
itself is encompassed in the system of 1461 rotations in 1461 days and
while this parent system itself takes an enormous amount of
explaining,it can be understood that the Earth turns once in 24 hours
and all the daily effects of the 1461 day calendar system keep in step
with this rotation.

What I say is correct and most already know it,finding people who have
a real interest in astronomy and a genuine authority is the most
difficult part in all this as the issues make it into wider
circulation.I trust people to think for themselves and that is what
makes the difference so that a breaking dawn is just as spectacular as
a solar eclipse and I predict in the next calendar cycle of 4 orbital
circuits starting March 1st 2012 ,there will be 1461 dawns covering
the next 4 cycles ending Feb 29th 2016.

Old January 28th 12, 08:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Jan 28, 9:42*am, Doug wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for posting the photo - that is quite a scope.

A rather precarious looking perch atop the ladder.

Where would you be traveling from?

That telescope is amazing.

http://www.opticalmechanics.com/evol...tro/index.html

I live in a suburb of San Diego, California.

The perch only looks precarious. That orchard ladder is so wide at the
bottom and so narrow at the top that it is virtually impossible to
lean out far enough to get more than half the mass over the Center-of-
Mass line. Also, since it is a tripod, it is never wobbly.

\Paul A