MSNBC (JimO) Scoops more Inside-NASA Shuttle Documents

Old September 26th 03, 01:12 PM
Lynndel Humphreys

Default Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!! ( MSNBC (JimO) Scoops more Inside-NASA Shuttle Documents)

Train B-52 pilots. They and shuttle pilots can grow old together.

"Hallerb" wrote in message

I'd suggest that NASA should try to re-fly the most important payload

that
was on Challenger when it was destroyed back in 1986. The

Ahh!!! Shuttles are research missions and not a operational system. As

such
only absolutely needed professional astronauts should fly.

Old September 26th 03, 01:55 PM
stmx3

Hallerb wrote:
[snip]

I shudder at the effect of another generation watching more deaths of teachers
in space.

Crew should be test pilots ONLY!

Without a REAL nationally supported mission, I think we are needlessly
putting all astronaut's lives at risk. You can teach about space right
here in good ole 1-G, without having to risk another life.

NASA needs real missions before we send people back to space. If ISS
isn't fully supported with a 7-person crew, then kiss off "enabling
technologies" as a mission and abandon ISS.

Old September 26th 03, 02:03 PM
stmx3

Stuf4 wrote:
From James Oberg:

Don't miss this 'insider document' report.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/970180.asp?0dm=C25AT

From crew photo caption:

"The core group for the next shuttle mission renames unchanged: from
left, Soichi Noguchi, commander Eileen Collins, Steve Robinson and Jim
Kelly. But the three other slots have been emptied to to make room for
those with specialized skills needed for the flight's new
responsibilities."

~ ~ ~ Rub text with lemon juice to reveal the non-PC caption ~ ...

"But the three other slots have been kept empty to minimize the number
of funerals in case NASA overlooked something else."

That's going to be one tough goodbye kiss come launch day:

http://www.jamesoberg.com/image/coll...ety-poster.jpg

I can guess what this daughter's answer to that question will be:
"Mommy, I never saw Captain Janeway leave two young children at home."

*

Also...

Jim Kelly:
"...four children."

(http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/kellyjm.html)

Soichi Noguchi:
"Three children..."

(http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/noguchi.html)

Steve Robinson appears to have no spousal or parenthood attachment.

If the actual reason behind scaling the crew back to just four is to
minimize the risk to human lives, NASA could do better in considering
the impact to family members left behind on the planet.

(Note that the current ISS crew had no such attachments as well when
they were selected and launched.)

Imagine a young child getting to watch mom or dad playing Russian
roulette on national television. Even if the empty chamber gets
clicked, it still has to be a traumatic experience.

~ CT

Are you talking about leaving home every morning and getting in your car
to go to work? Picture yourself in the poster holding your child, with
the caption "Are you ready for Daddy to go to work?"

You can't eliminate risk...but you can avoid unnecessary risk.

Old September 26th 03, 02:11 PM
Roger Balettie

"Stuf4" wrote:
Imagine a young child getting to watch mom or dad playing Russian
roulette on national television. Even if the empty chamber gets
clicked, it still has to be a traumatic experience.

Congratulations, Bob (hallerb)... Stuf4 just took the lead in the "Chicken
Little" title.

Buk... buk... buk-KAW.

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Old September 26th 03, 02:27 PM
Stuf4

From Alan Erskine:
"Dave Fowler" wrote in message
(Stuf4)

~ ~ ~ Rub text with lemon juice to reveal the non-PC caption ~ ...

"But the three other slots have been kept empty to minimize the number
of funerals in case NASA overlooked something else."

My non-PC response: You're the biggest asshole I've come across on usenet,

bar
none.

DF

Then don't respond to him!

I understand that this is a sensitive topic. I understand that many
people won't want to discuss it.

But please understand the *importance* of discussing it. Euphemisms
carry a danger of leading us to forget the actual reasons we are doing
what we are doing. And once we forget, the stage for repeating
history has then been set.

In that children's story about the Emperor who had no clothes, we can
imagine all the colorful profanities that the townfolk shouted at the
little boy. We can also imagine his response coming straight from
that famous Jack Nicholson line:

"You don't want the truth. You can't handle the truth."

It's too painful to discuss for some, so we get captions that read:

Old September 26th 03, 02:34 PM
Dave Fowler

(Stuf4)

I understand that this is a sensitive topic. I understand that many
people won't want to discuss it.

You don't discuss things, ever.

You prevaricate, misdirect, insult and basically ramble on endlessly, without
the benefit of verifiable facts, so that you can listen to the sound of your
own voice in usenet, and feel pleased with yourself.

And you still don't have the courage of standing behind your so-called
convictions, as you continue to post anonymously. You're still a coward.

DF

Old September 26th 03, 02:42 PM
Stuf4

From Hallerb:
I shudder at the effect of another generation watching more deaths of teachers
in space.

Crew should be test pilots ONLY!

Strange to think of all of Christa's and Barbara's old students who
now have kids of their own. I wonder if these parents will have them
watch live TV to see the latest teacher-in-space blast off.

~ CT
Old September 26th 03, 03:46 PM
Gene Seibel

I shudder at the effect on young minds, with no interest in space,
science, exploration, or anything else that challanges their mind, of
watching thousands of murders on TV during their lifetime. They need
to know that SOMETHING is worth dying for, and it's not a pair of
Nikes.
--
Gene Seibel
http://pad39a.com/

Old September 26th 03, 05:16 PM
stmx3

Gene Seibel wrote:
I shudder at the effect on young minds, with no interest in space,
science, exploration, or anything else that challanges their mind, of
watching thousands of murders on TV during their lifetime. They need
to know that SOMETHING is worth dying for, and it's not a pair of
Nikes.

But is what NASA's doing now worth dying for?

--
Gene Seibel
http://pad39a.com/

[snip all after]