Shuttle maximum altitude

Old November 7th 03, 02:12 PM
Mike Miller

Default Shuttle maximum altitude

What's the US space shuttle's maximum altitude, both hardware- and
regulation-limited? I've seen 600 miles, 500 miles (on a NASA page)
and 600 kilometers in a web search.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
Old November 7th 03, 02:40 PM
Hallerb

What's the US space shuttle's maximum altitude, both hardware- and
regulation-limited? I've seen 600 miles, 500 miles (on a NASA page)
and 600 kilometers in

Presently ground level, in Florida thats almost sea level.

Is that what you were looking for?
Old November 7th 03, 02:45 PM
Hallerb

What's the US space shuttle's maximum altitude, both hardware- and
regulation-limited? I've seen 600 miles, 500 miles (on a NASA page)
and 600 kilometers in a web sear

At ISS inclination its near its top altitude limit with payload.

I think the number varies based on that. With the ideal inclination and NO
payload it would be a lot higher
Old November 7th 03, 02:46 PM
Dale

On 07 Nov 2003 13:40:52 GMT, (Hallerb) wrote:

Presently ground level, in Florida thats almost sea level.

Is that what you were looking for?

Hey, it's the new "smart ass" Bob. I like it

Dale
Old November 8th 03, 07:53 AM
Kim Keller

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
600 miles is the theoretical maximum. Nobody wants to go much higher
than that unless they're going *much* higher than that, because of
trapped radiation in the van Allen belts. Getting there requires
almost no cargo in the payload bay, so the Shuttle hasn't gone above
the 330 miles of Hubble.

I've always heard the 600-mile limit was due to reentry limits on the TPS.
True, it's not fun to mess around in the Van Allen Belts, but that's not the
true reason for the altitude limit.

-Kim-

Old November 10th 03, 06:34 PM
Bob Martin

I've always heard the 600-mile limit was due to reentry limits on the TPS.
True, it's not fun to mess around in the Van Allen Belts, but that's not

the
true reason for the altitude limit.

It seems to me that OMS fuel would be another limiting factor. The shuttle
doesn't really carry that much.

Old November 11th 03, 03:30 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Bob Martin" wrote in
:

I've always heard the 600-mile limit was due to reentry limits on the
TPS. True, it's not fun to mess around in the Van Allen Belts, but
that's not

the
true reason for the altitude limit.

It seems to me that OMS fuel would be another limiting factor. The
shuttle doesn't really carry that much.

Correct. You'll hit the OMS limit first. Example: STS-109 (an HST servicing
mission) carried practically a full OMS load (25,064 lbm), and a light
payload (20,344 lbm). It launched due east from KSC (28.45 deg
inclination), and performed a direct insertion to a 308 n.mi. apogee. It
then spent 12,088 lbm of OMS prop (spread over four rendezvous burns) to
reach HST in a 317 n.mi. circular orbit. The deorbit burn used another
11,538 lbm. With 798 lbm unusable prop trapped in the OMS lines, that left
a whopping 936 lbm to protect for dispersions and contingencies.

This doesn't leave a whole lot of room for improvement. You can eliminate
the payload, top off the OMS tanks, use up your contingency reserve, use a
lighter orbiter (STS-109 was on Columbia, the heaviest orbiter), use up the
RCS propellant set aside for HST rendezvous, and it still won't get you
that much higher.

Of course, if you don't care about coming home, you can turn that deorbit
burn around and raise the orbit instead. Figure about 480 n.mi. if you
circularize, 320x640 n.mi. if you don't.

There was a proposal early in the shuttle program to develop a payload bay
OMS kit, but it never happened. All the orbiters still carry the flight
deck switches to control the kit. Up to three kits could be carried, each
with about half the capacity of the existing OMS tanks. That could get you
up to around 560 n.mi. circular, and still be able to come home.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.