Just when you thought a mainstream movie....

Old November 25th 04, 02:23 AM
RichA

Default Just when you thought a mainstream movie....

So I turn on a Warner station, and low
and behold, there's this girl and a guy,
and they have a homemade Dob they're using in a
cemetary. So, she shows him Saturn, and
it looked oddly accurate for a 6" Dob view.
So someone did some homework, they actually did
have a homemade Dob or a mock up of one.
Then, she says she's looking for comet Kohoutek
which is due back. Fine.
So they moved to another scene, I turned on something
else. Then about 40 minutes later I flipped back.
So there they are, back in the cemetary and the guy
asks her to look for a particular star, and gives her
a map. So she looks it up and asks why he wants to
see it. Then he says, I had it named after you,
it's "official" because it was from the
International Star Registry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 25th 04, 05:45 AM
SaberScorpX

I had it named after you,
it's "official" because it was from the
International Star Registry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couple years ago I hunted down an 11th mag. star for a couple
with an ISR chart at a starparty. The partial starchart was epoch
1950.0 and only went down to 5th mag. 'Their' star was marked
with a highlighter pen at it's approximate coordinates. I cross-
referenced it with Uranometria, narrowed it down to two possibles,
and centered one. I considered it a fun challenge, and they were
so excited and grateful that it didn't even cross my mind to burst
their bubble (Not that I needed to; they were pretty much aware
that it wasn't really 'their' star).
Playing devil's advocate, it at least gets people looking at the
night sky (in the same way that astrology is wonderful- albeit
misguided- celestial advertisement).
As far as being a public rip-off, I'm sure many of us wish we'd
have thought of it first

BTW, which movie was that?

Old November 25th 04, 01:46 PM
Joe Dallas

I think he's talking about a movie called, " A Walk to Remember."

Old November 25th 04, 03:22 PM
Michael Barlow

Did the same thing, channel hopping and came across the same segment.
Once he brought out the rolled up paper and told her why she had to find it
I went channel hopping.
--
Michael A. Barlow

Old November 25th 04, 04:46 PM
Matthew Ota

Well, at least it is a movie.

Heaven forbid it the ISR starts broadcasting commercials.

What a nightmare that would be.

Matthew Ota

Old November 29th 04, 05:36 PM
Daniel

I saw something similar in "Can't buy me love" the other day also.

Then it was a guy and a girl in an old airplane cemetary. They had
climbed in to an old bomber and were looking at the moon using a
homedob that the guy held in his lap. They were able to spot craters,
look at mountains and view rays with this setup.

That was a wildly popular movie in the 80s, wonder how many people
tried to make a telescope like this only to realize for high
magnification it's the mount that makes all the difference!

Daniel
---------
Sky Wonders Blog
http://www.skywonders.com or