Astronomers watch a black hole "eat a meal"

Old September 11th 04, 12:22 AM
Wally Anglesea

Default Astronomers watch a black hole "eat a meal"

"Summary - (Sep 10, 2004) Astronomers from the Institute of Astronomy (IoA)
in Cambridge, England have watched a bundle of matter at the heart of a
galaxy 100 million light-years away as it orbited a supermassive black hole
four times on its way to being destroyed. The material was approximately the
same distance as our Earth is from the Sun, but instead of taking a year, it
only took a quarter of a day, because of the massive gravity of the black
hole. By tracking the matter's doomed orbit, astronomers were then able to
calculate the mass of the black hole: between 10 and 50 million solar
masses."

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...t.html?1092004

Old September 11th 04, 12:59 AM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Wally Anglesea wrote:

"Summary - (Sep 10, 2004) Astronomers from the Institute of Astronomy (IoA)
in Cambridge, England have watched a bundle of matter at the heart of a
galaxy 100 million light-years away as it orbited a supermassive black hole
four times on its way to being destroyed. The material was approximately the
same distance as our Earth is from the Sun, but instead of taking a year, it
only took a quarter of a day, because of the massive gravity of the black
hole. By tracking the matter's doomed orbit, astronomers were then able to
calculate the mass of the black hole: between 10 and 50 million solar
masses."

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...t.html?1092004

nightbat

That seems about right for a free deep gravity meal taking,
Wally. Did those Brit Astronomers happen to observe if moon cheese went
with that big mac bundle of matter gulped in a few hours? Look, I have
explained there are no black holes in space, just extremely strong
gravity zones. Tell those Brit boys to take a closer look, and very much
like your stomach, there are no holes in space. What goes in must come
out, nothing stops Nature. The nightbat " Black Comet " is the most
beautiful mysterious force of Nature ever presented. Forget classical
black holes, the Mother of all comets gives birth to all the galaxies of
the present immense Universe.

Anyway, I expected Hawkings had additionally finally helped set those
British boys straight.

ponder on,
the nightbat

Old September 19th 04, 02:33 PM
EvolBob

No doubt they did.
But the facts don't make much sense.

For starters at a distance of 100 million light years (ly) observing or measuring anything at 1 au between these objects is
ridicules.
Secondly 1 au is blown outa the water by another fact: the mass of the Black hole (bh)
Since they said it could be 50 million solar mass (sm) I'll use that figure. This means the bh's size is about (10 k for our sun if
turned into a bh), 10 x 50,000,000 = 500,000,000 kilometres in diameter. Which everyone knows is a lot bigger than 1 au.

In case you are wondering 1 cubic unit bh + 1 cubic unit bh = 2 x 2 x2 or 8 cubh's, something unique to bh's
To take this a little further, if 1 sm bh (10k) were to be captured by this super large bh, then the increase in size (volume) is :

75,000,0001,500,000,001 cubic K's or a body 908,560 kilometres across.

Which is amazing as this about the same size as the sun!

Regards
Robert

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in message ...
"Summary - (Sep 10, 2004) Astronomers from the Institute of Astronomy (IoA)
in Cambridge, England have watched a bundle of matter at the heart of a
galaxy 100 million light-years away as it orbited a supermassive black hole
four times on its way to being destroyed. The material was approximately the
same distance as our Earth is from the Sun, but instead of taking a year, it
only took a quarter of a day, because of the massive gravity of the black
hole. By tracking the matter's doomed orbit, astronomers were then able to
calculate the mass of the black hole: between 10 and 50 million solar
masses."

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...t.html?1092004

---

Old September 19th 04, 05:47 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , EvolBob
writes
No doubt they did.
But the facts don't make much sense.

For starters at a distance of 100 million light years (ly) observing or
measuring anything at 1 au between these objects is
ridicules.
Secondly 1 au is blown outa the water by another fact: the mass of the
Black hole (bh)
Since they said it could be 50 million solar mass (sm) I'll use that
figure. This means the bh's size is about (10 k for our sun if
turned into a bh), 10 x 50,000,000 = 500,000,000 kilometres in
diameter. Which everyone knows is a lot bigger than 1 au.

In case you are wondering 1 cubic unit bh + 1 cubic unit bh = 2 x 2 x2
or 8 cubh's, something unique to bh's

Is your tinfoil hat slipping again? They didn't resolve the object, they
did spectroscopy. And the radius of a black hole is proportional to its
mass. Looking at
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/active/smblack.html, a 5 solar
mass hole has a radius of 15km, so a 50 million mass hole is 10 million
times bigger - 1AU (note caps. Note bottom posting, too)
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old September 19th 04, 11:50 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:33:04 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote:

[...]

Do you understand a spectrocope, and spectroscopy?

Regards
Robert

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in message ...
"Summary - (Sep 10, 2004) Astronomers from the Institute of Astronomy (IoA)
in Cambridge, England have watched a bundle of matter at the heart of a
galaxy 100 million light-years away as it orbited a supermassive black hole
four times on its way to being destroyed. The material was approximately the
same distance as our Earth is from the Sun, but instead of taking a year, it
only took a quarter of a day, because of the massive gravity of the black
hole. By tracking the matter's doomed orbit, astronomers were then able to
calculate the mass of the black hole: between 10 and 50 million solar
masses."

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...t.html?1092004

---

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old September 22nd 04, 04:42 PM
EvolBob

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

Back in the 60's (cringe), I remember questioning a tutor on the mass of Pluto, as I had read it had been - deduce from the latest
measurements - to be more dense than lead! I wrongly criticized him that he had his facts mixed up. That was the last time I was
going to believe everything I read.
And more recently measurements that Q-Stellar objects were moving 10 times the speed of Light.

What I'm saying is the events described do happen, as to whether THIS is one of them - and much more importantly - claiming this
type of observation is capable of extracting this kind of detail information, is misleading. It also creates the fertile ground for
kooks.

Apart from bottom posting - I mostly agree with what you posted.

And the radius of a black hole is proportional to its mass

That is a better way of explaining what I was trying to say - thanks Jonathan.
I see where I went wrong, 10k was the minimum size for a naturally occurring bh via a supernova event.

Regards
Robert

Old September 22nd 04, 05:03 PM
EvolBob

Do you understand a spectroscope, and spectroscopy?

Yes - well sort of.

Old September 22nd 04, 06:52 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , EvolBob
writes
I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

Back in the 60's (cringe), I remember questioning a tutor on the mass
of Pluto, as I had read it had been - deduce from the latest
measurements - to be more dense than lead! I wrongly criticized him
that he had his facts mixed up. That was the last time I was
going to believe everything I read.

Sounds a bit like me :-) I did find a statement in my old Larousse
Astronomy (1959) that it's 10 x denser than the Earth, but the author
found that "difficult to accept" ;-) Back then, Pluto was thought to be
perturbing Neptune. Its mass was supposed to be about the same as
Earth's, but its diameter less than half Earth's.

And more recently measurements that Q-Stellar objects were moving 10
times the speed of Light.

That's an observational fact! The first paper was on the cover of
Nature. It's an optical illusion.

Sorry I was rude.
Old September 26th 04, 12:49 PM
EvolBob

Thanks for those comments Jonathan.

I'm still a cynic when I feel my common sense is taking a beating.
If I were a kook, I'd be saying things like;

1 There probably is a cheaper more economically fuel than petrol - like water or hydrogen.
2 A cure for cancer exists but revealing this would just dry up all the billions of charitable aid.
3 9/11 was no surprise for some. When they realized just how much extra funding would be coming their way, they sat back mute.
4 Many, many big business do a lot of pure science research, which has resulted in many amazing discoveries. We won't get to see
these until the best time to make as much money from this or if their competitors are going to release the same.
5 Most governments are not their own masters. (nothing could be this incompetent for so long?)
6 There is no Ozone hole threat or Greenhouse warming for the same reasons above.

But I'm not a kook so I'm not saying these things, except the last one, which I swear is absolutely true!
bg