M31 from the deep south

Old September 6th 04, 04:07 PM
Wally Anglesea

Default M31 from the deep south

I just wanted to say, I'm outside, it's cold, and I just finished observing
M31. Since I'm at about 35 degrees south, and Sydney is in the North, it's
quite an achievement for me :-)
Furthest south I've seen it.

The air was quite clear and still, but the sky glow wiped out most of the
fine detail.

Old September 6th 04, 04:56 PM
Wally Anglesea

"BP" wrote in message
Wally, what kind of gear do you have for that?

My little Meade 105 :-)
Pictures he
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese...Astronomy.html

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in
message

Old September 7th 04, 12:28 AM
BP

I had a 5" celestron until some crack junkie broke into my house. Boy do I
miss it. I am saving my pennies from my paper route for an 8 or 10" Meade.

That is a great little set up you got there. I have an old Canon A-1 that I
do not use much for normal photos. I was considering mounting that on a
scope much in the same manner. I also have a 4.1 Megapixel camera. I
understand that they are making adapters for those now. Do you have good
luck with the digital?

The sun pics are very nice. I bet if you send those to some of the
characters here, they may be able to prove life on the sun.

Old September 7th 04, 12:40 AM
Wally Anglesea

"BP" wrote in message
I had a 5" celestron until some crack junkie broke into my house. Boy do I
miss it. I am saving my pennies from my paper route for an 8 or 10"
Meade.

Ouch!

That is a great little set up you got there. I have an old Canon A-1 that
do not use much for normal photos. I was considering mounting that on a
scope much in the same manner. I also have a 4.1 Megapixel camera. I
understand that they are making adapters for those now. Do you have good
luck with the digital?

Thanks for the comments. I started with the digital to see if I could get
decent pics, and I was surprised and pleased to find I did.
The Kodak DX series has an adapter thread at the lens, which takes a Kodak
adapter. I connected a Televue Eyepiece adapter to that, and so I can mount
the digital camera straight to the eyepiece.

I'm looking agt a new Kodak (because I have all the adapters for it) which
is 6 megapixels, and it can take 60 second exposures. At a trade show, I got
the guy demoing it to put it in a black bag, and do a 60 second exposure.
There were no hot pixels in the reulting image, and I had to enhance thew
wazoo out of it to get any hot pixels. So that's promising.

However, I've also been looking at the new Meade Deep Space Imager (DSI). If
I can convince my wife, I'll get both. :-)

The sun pics are very nice. I bet if you send those to some of the
characters here, they may be able to prove life on the sun.

Two people emailed me and asked how I could take photographs of the sun
during the day, when it was so bright. Seriously

BP

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in
message

Old September 7th 04, 04:27 AM
Tom E.

I bought 10" dob and took it out for a spin the other night, actually it
was my first telecoping night with anything. I searched and searched
around the left of the "great square", and finally found a smudge of light.
M31! This was the core of the core I assume. This was in light polluted
Scottsdale AZ. I can hardly wait to see it in the country side. They say
it just takes some binoculars.
-Tom

Old September 7th 04, 05:14 AM
Terry Bohlsen

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in message
I just wanted to say, I'm outside, it's cold, and I just finished

observing
M31. Since I'm at about 35 degrees south, and Sydney is in the North, it's
quite an achievement for me :-)
Furthest south I've seen it.

The air was quite clear and still, but the sky glow wiped out most of the
fine detail.

Dear Wally
I have seen M31 with the naked eye from home in November. Admittedly I am a
bit further north and have much darker skies than Sydney.

Terry Bohlsen
Moree
NSW

Old September 7th 04, 06:22 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Terry Bohlsen" wrote in message

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in
message
I just wanted to say, I'm outside, it's cold, and I just finished

observing
M31. Since I'm at about 35 degrees south, and Sydney is in the North,
it's
quite an achievement for me :-)
Furthest south I've seen it.

The air was quite clear and still, but the sky glow wiped out most of the
fine detail.

Dear Wally
I have seen M31 with the naked eye from home in November. Admittedly I am
bit further north and have much darker skies than Sydney.

Terry Bohlsen
Moree

Yeah, well Moree also has a much better northern sky :-)
I saw it naked eye from Parkes in July (at 3.30 am and about minus 5 degrees
Celsius. Kind of surprising you can see it this far south isn't it?

Old September 7th 04, 11:08 AM
Terry B

quite an achievement for me :-)
Furthest south I've seen it.

The air was quite clear and still, but the sky glow wiped out most of

the
fine detail.

Dear Wally
I have seen M31 with the naked eye from home in November. Admittedly I

am
bit further north and have much darker skies than Sydney.

Terry Bohlsen
Moree

Yeah, well Moree also has a much better northern sky :-)
I saw it naked eye from Parkes in July (at 3.30 am and about minus 5

degrees
Celsius. Kind of surprising you can see it this far south isn't it?

We are 29.5 deg south which means it will be about 5 deg higher here than in
Sydney. I think the important things are dark skies, good dark adaption and
a clear northern horizon all of which apply here in the bush.

--
Terry B
Moree