Cassiopea A from Chandra

Old August 25th 04, 06:09 AM
Wally Anglesea

Default Cassiopea A from Chandra

23rd August.

"The new images from Chandra suggest that the process of "going supernova"
could be more complicated than astronomers have previously believed. The
one-millisecond exposure of Cassiopeia A shows two opposing jets of silicon
atoms shooting out from the vicinity of the neutron star.

"The presence of the bipolar jets suggests that jets could be more common in
relatively normal supernova explosions than astronomers have supposed," said
Dr. Una Hwang of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

Old August 25th 04, 06:42 AM
Tom McDonald

Wally Anglesea wrote:

23rd August.

"The new images from Chandra suggest that the process of "going supernova"
could be more complicated than astronomers have previously believed. The
one-millisecond exposure of Cassiopeia A shows two opposing jets of silicon
atoms shooting out from the vicinity of the neutron star.

"The presence of the bipolar jets suggests that jets could be more common in
relatively normal supernova explosions than astronomers have supposed," said
Dr. Una Hwang of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

Wally,

I'm not familiar with x-ray imaging like this. Do you know if
this is a usual exposure for this type of application?

But just on the face of it, Wow!

--
Tom McDonald
Old August 25th 04, 06:52 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Tom McDonald" wrote in message
Wally Anglesea wrote:

23rd August.

"The new images from Chandra suggest that the process of "going
supernova" could be more complicated than astronomers have previously
believed. The one-millisecond exposure of Cassiopeia A shows two opposing
jets of silicon atoms shooting out from the vicinity of the neutron star.

"The presence of the bipolar jets suggests that jets could be more common
in relatively normal supernova explosions than astronomers have
supposed," said Dr. Una Hwang of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in
Greenbelt, Md. "

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

Wally,

I'm not familiar with x-ray imaging like this. Do you know if this is a
usual exposure for this type of application?

I don't know either. Stunning capability if it is. I wonder if they will
use that technique elsewhere.

Anyway, I've asked around. I'll see what comes out.

But just on the face of it, Wow!

--
Tom McDonald

Old August 25th 04, 08:57 AM
Rick

Wally Anglesea wrote:

[...]

1 millisecond = 1/1000 second. Almost any camera can
do the same, except in visible light not X-ray.

Rick

Old August 25th 04, 10:20 AM
Paul Lawler

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in
:

23rd August.

"The new images from Chandra suggest that the process of "going
supernova" could be more complicated than astronomers have previously
believed. The one-millisecond exposure of Cassiopeia A shows two
opposing jets of silicon atoms shooting out from the vicinity of the
neutron star.

"The presence of the bipolar jets suggests that jets could be more
common in relatively normal supernova explosions than astronomers have
supposed," said Dr. Una Hwang of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in
Greenbelt, Md. "

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

My SLR does 1/1000 second exposure. That's 1 milisecond, right?

Boy, you sure are a dumbass pathetic sociopathic excuse for a dog farting
mental gymnast, Wally! g
Old August 25th 04, 12:17 PM
Wally Anglesea

"Paul Lawler" wrote in message
. 125.204...
"Wally Anglesea" wrote in
:

23rd August.

"The new images from Chandra suggest that the process of "going
supernova" could be more complicated than astronomers have previously
believed. The one-millisecond exposure of Cassiopeia A shows two
opposing jets of silicon atoms shooting out from the vicinity of the
neutron star.

"The presence of the bipolar jets suggests that jets could be more
common in relatively normal supernova explosions than astronomers have
supposed," said Dr. Una Hwang of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in
Greenbelt, Md. "

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

My SLR does 1/1000 second exposure. That's 1 milisecond, right?

Boy, you sure are a dumbass pathetic sociopathic excuse for a dog farting
mental gymnast, Wally! g

LOL, yeah but we are talking about an X-RAY source in space, and getting a
resolution that they obviously got. So my guess is that there's more than
just a good shutter release on Chandra :-)

Old August 26th 04, 05:22 AM
Saul Levy

Yes, astronomers have found that very short exposures often show
things they never dreamed of. Not all things in astronomy last
millions or billions of years.

Saul Levy

Old August 26th 04, 09:36 AM
OG

"Wally Anglesea" wrote in message ...
"Paul Lawler" wrote in message

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

My SLR does 1/1000 second exposure. That's 1 milisecond, right?

Boy, you sure are a dumbass pathetic sociopathic excuse for a dog farting
mental gymnast, Wally! g

LOL, yeah but we are talking about an X-RAY source in space, and getting a
resolution that they obviously got. So my guess is that there's more than
just a good shutter release on Chandra :-)

The same image is used for todays APOD
but the text says its a million second exposure (12 days or thereabouts).

I think we can assume that one of the references is out by a factor of a billion!
Old August 26th 04, 09:46 AM
Wally Anglesea

"OG" wrote in message
om...
"Wally Anglesea" wrote in
message ...
"Paul Lawler" wrote in message

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/deepspa...a_cassioa.html

Simply amazing. 1 millisecond exposure?

My SLR does 1/1000 second exposure. That's 1 milisecond, right?

Boy, you sure are a dumbass pathetic sociopathic excuse for a dog
farting
mental gymnast, Wally! g

LOL, yeah but we are talking about an X-RAY source in space, and getting
resolution that they obviously got. So my guess is that there's more than
just a good shutter release on Chandra :-)

The same image is used for todays APOD
but the text says its a million second exposure (12 days or thereabouts).

I think we can assume that one of the references is out by a factor of a
billion!

Yeah. I assume the million second quote is more accurate