Lunar Image Anomaly

Old January 10th 04, 08:22 PM
Dan

Default Lunar Image Anomaly

Listers,

I would like to solicit comment vis-a-vis an image (taken by an
amateur astronomer) that appears to show two dark objects which
quickly traversed the lunar disk.

The images may be viewed he

http://zaziork.com/astrobservation/lunaranomindex.htm

Has anyone on-list ever observed anything similar?

Please contact me via the web page. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions and/or comments.

Regards,

Dan Bright

Old January 11th 04, 11:35 AM
Mike Dworetsky

"Dan" wrote in message
Listers,

I would like to solicit comment vis-a-vis an image (taken by an
amateur astronomer) that appears to show two dark objects which
quickly traversed the lunar disk.

The images may be viewed he

http://zaziork.com/astrobservation/lunaranomindex.htm

Has anyone on-list ever observed anything similar?

Please contact me via the web page. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions and/or comments.

Regards,

Dan Bright

I once saw a toy balloon fly across the face of the Sun during an observing
session; it was about the same angular size as one of the blobs. Two
balloons tied together? The elliptical shapes may be due to motion along
the track during the finite exposure time of the frame. Speed of passage
would depend on wind speeds, which are not known for this incident.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old January 11th 04, 01:30 PM
Dan

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in
message ...

I once saw a toy balloon fly across the face of the Sun during

an observing
session; it was about the same angular size as one of the

blobs. Two
balloons tied together? The elliptical shapes may be due to

motion along
the track during the finite exposure time of the frame. Speed

of passage
would depend on wind speeds, which are not known for this

incident.

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this, your comments
are very much appreciated.

Another hypothesis was forwarded by Martin Lewicki on another NG:

"I've seen this several times over my 30 years of observing.
Particles of
dust sometime dislodge from the interior of the eyepiece and
float
silhouetted across thee eyepiece field of view at its focal plane
bringing
the particles into sharp focus. Indeed it is striking when you
first see it
and they do look like UFOs tracking across the face of the moon.
Other
times I have seen particles float _through_ the focal plane so
that they
appears out of nowhere (sharply into focus), remain suspended
over the moon
and slowly float off out of the focal plane into oblivion. From
the description given, the appearance of the objects and scale
size on the images this would be my interpretation."

All the best,

Dan

Old January 11th 04, 01:55 PM
Dave

I once saw a toy balloon fly across the face of the Sun during an

observing
session; it was about the same angular size as one of the blobs. Two
balloons tied together? The elliptical shapes may be due to motion along
the track during the finite exposure time of the frame. Speed of passage
would depend on wind speeds, which are not known for this incident.

Balloons? This is obviously the start of a cover up!! The images show what
is quite plainly a TIE fighter...

Old January 11th 04, 04:00 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

The oval shape and "shadow" effect looks like chromatic abberation to me
(you can see evidence of this elsewhere in the image, all directed towards
the centre of the image) I am not sure why the colours appear to be inverted
in the case of the object though.

The speed and direction of the shift could be used to determine if it might
have been a dirt spot in the optics (ie could it be that the moon drifted
past while the spot stayed still?) Dirt spots are usually invisible until
they cross something bright like the moon.

Robin

The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
Lunar Image Anomaly Dan Misc 5 January 12th 04 04:07 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 November 7th 03 08:53 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ v4 Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 1 November 4th 03 11:52 PM