Binoculars Help/Advice/Suggestions

Old April 9th 04, 05:13 PM
remove $ sign to reply

Default Binoculars Help/Advice/Suggestions

Hello,
Are there binoculars out there that can be used to do some good
stargazing but also can be used for sporting events and wildlife
viewing?
I am more concerned about the stargazing abilities but if I can use
them for other things that would be great.
TIA
CP
Old April 9th 04, 08:14 PM
Harold Fultz

Hello,
Are there binoculars out there that can be used to do some good
stargazing but also can be used for sporting events and wildlife
viewing?
I am more concerned about the stargazing abilities but if I can use
them for other things that would be great.
TIA
CP

Try the Barska 11x70 or 15x70 binoculars, should be very good for
under $100.00 US. Do a search for them and you'll find lots of
good info including how to collimate them. Heartland America
occasionally has them for $49.99. I have the 15x70's, and while they
are sometimes a lot to hand-hold, they are the best $49.99 ever spent.
11x70's should be great.

Harold

Old April 9th 04, 11:45 PM
Florian

I would suggest 10x50 as the best all around stargazing/sporting =
binocular. You can handhold them for the most part, they will show you =
LOTS of objects in the night sky, and they'd be very nice watching =
sporting events from the bleachers. If you can tripod mount them they =
will show you even more objects in the sky.=20

-Florian

Old April 10th 04, 06:56 AM
Sketcher

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:13:03 GMT, (remove $ sign to
reply) (CP) wrote:

Are there binoculars out there that can be used to do some good
stargazing but also can be used for sporting events and wildlife
viewing?

I've found 8x42s to be well suited for both terrestrial and
astronomical use. Larger (heavier, bulkier) binoculars will reveal
more astronomical objects and details, but such (large) binoculars
would tend to become uncomfortable to carry or hold for any length of
time for typical terrestrial use.

Whenever one attempts to use one instrument for such different
applications something will end up being sacrificed. Eventually
you're most likely going to end up with more than one instrument.

Still, I really do enjoy 8x42s for both terrestrial and astronomical
purposes. On the other hand, it also really helps to have a dark sky
when you're using relatively small binoculars for astronomy.

Sketcher
To sketch is to see.

Old April 10th 04, 09:10 AM
Jon Isaacs

I've found 8x42s to be well suited for both terrestrial and
astronomical use. Larger (heavier, bulkier) binoculars will reveal
more astronomical objects and details, but such (large) binoculars
would tend to become uncomfortable to carry or hold for any length of
time for typical terrestrial use.

8x42s are the traditional binoculars used for "birding." It is considered that
8x is the maximum magnification that can be hand held without shaking. I
think there is a lot of truth in this. I agree that anything more than 10x
will not be useful terrestrially, too much magnification but more importantly
the field of view will be too narrow for terrestrial use. For sporting events
of for birds, a narrow field of view makes it hard to use and the added
magnification is not much help unless one is using a tripod, which limits the
main advantage of binoculars, the freedom.

For astronomy they also work quite nicely from a dark sky spot or even a light
polluted back yard. I have compared 7x42s with 10x50s and while the 10x50s
show a bit more, it is not so much.

Other options are 10x42s and 10x50s. I couple of weeks ago I compared some
10x42s with some 10x50s from a dark sky spot and it was quite difficult to tell
the difference on deep sky objects.

A couple of things:

1. If these binoculars are going to accompany a telescope, then 10x50s are a
good choice but if they are going to be by themselves, then something larger
like 15x70's might be better with the understanding that a tripod mount will be
needed and that they will be pretty useless for anything other than astronomy.

2. This is the most important: Binoculars are very personal and ergonomics is
probably the single most important factor in determining how useful and how
much use a pair will get. A binocular is not comfortable to hold or does not
fit your face comfortably is just not likely to get used much, no matter how
good the optics.

Some of the things that I find important:

1. Porro prims or roof? Always the question. Dollar for dollar, Porro prism
binoculars (traditional binoculars) will provide the best optics. But roof
prism binoculars are more compact and many folks find them much more
comfortable to hold. Roof prisms are normally limited to 10x50s, not much
larger out there.

2. Eye relief: For me this is important, a binocular with 12 mm of eye relief
will force me to press them to my face and hold them in exact positions.
Binoculars with long eyerelief, 20 mm is nice, combined with adjustable height
eye cups provide an "easy view."

Roof prism binoculars normally have twist up eye cups and long eye relief.

3. Magnification, field of view and close focus. The greater the
magnification, the narrower the field of view. A general rule, somewhat
dependent on the binoculars in question, a 7 degree FOV is nice for both
astronomy and terrestrial use, especially sporting events, anything over about
5.5 degrees is pretty nice. Many manufacturers exaggerate the field of view
more than a bit.

Normally Porro prism binoculars will have a wider field of view than Roofs.

4. Close focus is of little interest astronomically, important for birding and
viewing butterflies etc. Pretty disappointing to be watching a hummingbird at
10 feet only to find that your binoculars will not focus.....

Most binoculars that will focus closer than 15 feet are roof prism binoculars,
many 8x42s will focus as close as 6 or 8 feet.

5. Waterproof, Oringed and Nitrogen Sealed: A nice feature because it helps
keep the binoculars from fogging up and they can be used in humid or wet
environments without much worry.

6. Cost: This is the biggie, one can buy useable binoculars for $30, top of
the line binoculars can be as much as $1500. Such binoculars are normally for
"birding." Bird watchers may spend the good part of a day with the binos
pushed against their face and the varied lighting and long distances mean that
many folks are willing to pay real money for some good lightweight binoculars.

7. Warranty: These vary greatly, Some like Meade offer 1 year warranties.
But some offer truly amazing warranties.

The Eagle Optics Platinum Rangers warranty is lifetime, no warranty card
needed, transferrable. Furthermore, if you damage the binoculars, drop them,
whatever, Eagle Optics will repair or replace them for $20.

Bottomline: Try before you buy. A nice fitting comfortable binoculars is a
great thing. THe sign of a good fit is that you do not notice the binoculars,
they do not get in the way. Try before you buy....

Personally I like roof prism binoculars, the combination of long eye relief,
the popup eye cups, the easy to hold hand position and the freedom from fogging
up make the much nicer to use IMHO.

If you want to look at a variety of binoculars, check out www.eagleoptics.com
They carry just about everything. In the medium priced class, ($200-$500)
their Platinum Rangers seem to be quite popular and well liked.

Jon