U.S.: 100 people receive death penalty because of... budget cuts

Old December 5th 10, 08:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Default U.S.: 100 people receive death penalty because of... budget cuts

Around 100 transplant patients have been condemned to the death penalty
by the republican governor of Arizona Jan Brewer.

The republicans decided that it is better to save the 800 million/year
that would cost the medical treatment for those people and let them
die.

See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/us....html?_r=1&hpw

and

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/us....html?_r=1&hpw

I could not believe my eyes when I read that article. But then...
I remembered that Arizona is in the united states.

Nobody seems to have any problems with this decision apparently.
It is simply normal procedures in that country. If you
have money you can live and if you don't you are killed.

It is as simple as that.

Jacob
Paris/France
Old December 5th 10, 08:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 5, 12:35*pm, jacob navia wrote:
Around 100 transplant patients have been condemned to the death penalty
by the republican governor of Arizona Jan Brewer.

The republicans decided that it is better to save the 800 million/year
that would cost the medical treatment for those people and let them
die.

See:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/us....html?_r=1&hpw

and

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/us....html?_r=1&hpw

I could not believe my eyes when I read that article. But then...
I remembered that Arizona is in the united states.

Nobody seems to have any problems with this decision apparently.
It is simply normal procedures in that country. If you
have money you can live and if you don't you are killed.

It is as simple as that.

Jacob
Paris/France

It's costing us $8 million per patient per year?

At that rate we'll need to borrow a few more trillions from China, and
I think they is about to increase their interest rate again. Are we
sure the average investment of $8 million per patient per year is
doable?

Who on Earth is truly worth $8 million untaxable dollars per year?

You and I would have to earn at least $12 million per year just to
afford such a benefit. Perhaps fewer than 0.1% of us could come
remotely close to covering 10% of that amount. What about the other
99.9% that want their fair share of the good life, except without
having to pay for it?

~ BG
Old December 6th 10, 12:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Dec 5, 1:58*pm, Brad Guth wrote:

Who on Earth is truly worth $8 million untaxable dollars per year?

If someone dies and is buried, how much money will I need to give you
before you can hire enough doctors and medical researchers to bring
him back to life?

It is absolutely irresponsible to treat the death of a human
individual as an externality. Decision making on which the life of a
human being depends has to be made as if it's the decision maker's
life that is the one at stake. No other pattern of behavior is
tolerable.

We expect our public servants to obey the law, and especially the most
important law of all - the fundamental moral law that comes *first*.

Thou shalt not injure a human being, nor shalt thou stand idly by when
one of thy fellow human beings is about to be injured.

What we expect is to have honest politicians whose brains would fry
before they would break that law.

John Savard
Old December 6th 10, 01:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 6/12/2010 7:35 AM, jacob navia wrote:
Around 100 transplant patients have been condemned to the death penalty
by the republican governor of Arizona Jan Brewer.

The republicans decided that it is better to save the 800 million/year
that would cost the medical treatment for those people and let them
die.

It has always been the case that people die for lack of funds, and that
applies in health care as much as any other field. We may not like the
idea, but society as a whole does attach a monetary value to human life,
though it tends to be inconsistent, and value an identified life more
highly than an unidentified one.

There is nothing unusual about the cited decision.

Sylvia.
Old December 6th 10, 08:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 5, 4:45*pm, Quadibloc wrote:
On Dec 5, 1:58*pm, Brad Guth wrote:

Who on Earth is truly worth $8 million untaxable dollars per year?

If someone dies and is buried, how much money will I need to give you
before you can hire enough doctors and medical researchers to bring
him back to life?

Via cloning it's conceivable that a replacement (intelligent re-
engineered) human could be had for less than a few million. All we
need to figure out is how to transfer the mental archives of data
before the original brain goes kaput, and perhaps that technology can
be accomplished for less than a few billion at first. Thereby
frankenhumans shouldn't be all that hard once we've ironed out the
kinks.

It is absolutely irresponsible to treat the death of a human
individual as an externality. Decision making on which the life of a
human being depends has to be made as if it's the decision maker's
life that is the one at stake. No other pattern of behavior is
tolerable.

We expect our public servants to obey the law, and especially the most
important law of all - the fundamental moral law that comes *first*.

Thou shalt not injure a human being, nor shalt thou stand idly by when
one of thy fellow human beings is about to be injured.

What we expect is to have honest politicians whose brains would fry
before they would break that law.

John Savard

I agree that all politicians plus those continually brown-nosing
should be required by law to have self-destruct implants that are
triggered by a built-in lie detector that can also be remote
triggered.

Otherwise those are all conditional laws or policies, because it's a
apparently perfectly good moral policy to cause the deaths of a
thousand innocent civilians in order to get one bad guy. We even lied
about there being Muslim WMD, among telling us dozens of other lies
and/or obfuscating anything that might allow the whole truth and
nothing but the truth to emerge.

Hospitals via neglect, carelessness, greed and just from human
mistakes continue to kill off more of their patients than the national
death rate by automobiles, and few if anyone takes that seriously
enough to make any significant improvements.

So it's all a big joke. I just thought $8 million per patient per
year was somewhat exaggerated as to what such medical transplant
options are costing us. Seems more likely at most $800 thousand per
patient per year is sufficient, and make that at most $8 thousand per
year in Cuba.or India.

If it's costing us on average $8 million per patient per year, then
we're paying them doctors and others related at least ten fold more
than they are worth.

~ BG