Johnsonian Pop-Up Dob aka Lite-Bucket

Old November 28th 04, 05:13 AM
TF

Default Johnsonian Pop-Up Dob aka Lite-Bucket

Hi gang,

Just got the latest S&T mag.... What do I see...??

A "Pop-UP" Dob by Johnsonian aka "Lite-Bucket" dob..

Interesting concept ... Still looks flimsy to me..

Anyone seen on of these in person yet??

TF

Old November 28th 04, 05:48 AM
Izar187

Just got the latest S&T mag.... What do I see...??

A "Pop-UP" Dob by Johnsonian aka "Lite-Bucket" dob..

Interesting concept ...

There is more info he
http://www.johnsonian.com

john
Old November 28th 04, 05:58 PM
Mark Forsthoefel

Yes, I saw one at the last Apollo Rendezvous in Dayton last year. Although
these things are not cheap, they truly are innovative and extremely
lightweight and rigid when assembled. The Carbon fiber struts fold into a
"V" shape when assembled and flatten and then spiral inward to collapse. Sam
brought a complete 18" goto scope in 2 airline travel suitcases. Sam Johnson
was also a prior junior member of the club when I was young, and I never
linked the connection to his Johnsonian drives for large dobsonian mounts.
He really does think outside the box.
Mark
"TF" wrote in message ...
Hi gang,

Just got the latest S&T mag.... What do I see...??

A "Pop-UP" Dob by Johnsonian aka "Lite-Bucket" dob..

Interesting concept ... Still looks flimsy to me..

Anyone seen on of these in person yet??

TF

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old November 28th 04, 06:51 PM
RichardN22

If you're interested in a collapsable dob that is very rigid, check this out.

http://astronomy-mall.com/regular/products/cpt/

Richard Navarrete

Astrophotography Web Page -
http://members.aol.com/richardn22
Old November 29th 04, 04:57 AM
Dennis Dickerson

I recently received an 18" Johnsonian - so I can speak to it. While
the instrument is amazingly lightweight, what you see in the photo are
precision aluminum rings and an innovative carbon fiber strut system
that rotates down into a compact configuration for transportation.
The rings are incredibly rigid - if my memory is correct, Sam Johnson
told me that they were 32 times stronger than the wooden rings
typically employed. I believe that Sam will be filing for a patent on
the bi-stable struts. The mount is anything but flimsy. Fit and
finish are all superb. Superior to any other dobsonians that I have
seen - particularly because there are no wooden parts - just carbon
fiber composites and anodized, numerically machined aluminum
components. The 18" even includes electric collimation motors for the
primary, so that one person can perform collimation without ever
leaving the eyepiece. I hope to write up a full review by the end of
December, after I have had the opportunity to take it out to one or
more dark sky sites for a comprehensive evaluation. My son also
purchased an 18". He is able to pack his into the trunk of his Toyota
Solara, without lowering the back seat.

Dennis Dickerson

Old November 29th 04, 08:47 PM
RichardN22

If you're interested in a collapsable dob that is very rigid, check this
out.

Looks flimsy to me! But maybe it works ok, it would have to be proven
first...

It is proven! I've used the 10" which a buddy owns, and another friend has an
18" and is taking CCD images with it.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ic1...03_Ha_page.htm

Pretty awesome.