Question for the group

Old November 27th 04, 06:41 PM
Vince Z.

Default Question for the group

I'm a newbie here, and a newbie to telescope making, so if I make a
massive faux pas or ask a stupid question, I apologize.
What I'm curious about is what the "f" stands for in relation to the
mirror size. I've seen it used in relation to cameras as well.
Thanks!-

V.
Old November 27th 04, 06:52 PM
Duff Couillard

Hey Vince,
There are no stupid questions! We were all newbies at one time or another.
The "F" stands for focal length or focal ratio. As an example, if a 10"
mirror focuses at a focal length of 50" then the focal ratio is F5 (10"
mirror divided by 50" focal length). The same applies to refractors or
SCT's. Divide the aperture by the focal length. Hope this helps, and clear
skies to ya.

Duff Couillard
Calgary
om...

Old November 27th 04, 06:57 PM
Alan French

"Vince Z." wrote in message
om...
I'm a newbie here, and a newbie to telescope making, so if I make a
massive faux pas or ask a stupid question, I apologize.
What I'm curious about is what the "f" stands for in relation to the
mirror size. I've seen it used in relation to cameras as well.
Thanks!-

"F" stands for focal ratio. It is simply the telescopes focal length
divided by the aperture. So a 6" f/8 mirror would be a mirror of 6"
diameter with a focal length of 48". In a given aperture, a smaller or
"faster" f/ratio has a shorter focal length and, in general, allows a
somewhat wider view. A larger or "slower" f/ratio has a longer focal length
and provides a somewhat more restricted view.

The two important qualities of a telescope are aperture and focal length.
Aperture determines light grasp and resolution, and focal length determines
image scale and, when combined with the size eyepiece being used, the
maxiumm field of view.

There is one important difference between how photographers talk about
f/ratio and how astronomers talks about f/ratio. When a photographer talks
about a "faster" lens the focal length remains fixed and the aperture
changes - so faster photographic lenses actually collect more light than
their slower cousins. When amateur astronomers talk about "faster"
telescope the aperture remains fixed and the focal length changes. A faster
telescope of 8" aperture does not collect more light and the view is not
inherently brighter than a slower 8" telescope. At the same magnification
the views are the same brightness. An astrophotographer does get a shorter
exposure, but only because image scale is sacrificed and the photons are
concentrated on a smaller area of the film.

Clear skies, Alan

Old November 27th 04, 11:20 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:55:37 GMT, "Duff Couillard" wrote:

Hey Chris,
I did not know about the upper and lower case distinction. Thanks for that
bit of information
Duff Couillard

You're welcome. But like I said, don't expect everyone to follow that
convention. Context is usually your best bet.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 29th 04, 06:46 AM
Jerry

some people use "fl" for focal length because its un-ambiguous.
as in fl = 1000mm d = f =

Duff Couillard wrote:

Hey Chris,
I did not know about the upper and lower case distinction. Thanks for that
bit of information
Duff Couillard

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On 27 Nov 2004 10:41:26 -0800, (Vince Z.)

wrote:

Usually, "f" stands for focal ratio, the ratio of focal length to

diameter. "F"
(capitalized) usually is used for the focal length. These conventions are
regularly broken, however. So if you see "f" (or "F") followed by a small
number, say 4-20, it's the focal ratio. If you see it followed by a big

number,
several hundred to several thousand, it is focal length.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com