Safe to look at the morning sun?

Old March 31st 04, 09:26 AM
Rob Swindells

Default Safe to look at the morning sun?

Spring in Blighty brings the sun up just as I'm walking across Clifton
Down every morning. At this time the sun is a huge orange disc in the
sky. Is it safe to look at during this time?
Old April 4th 04, 05:43 AM
Offshore CEO

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:26:27 +0100, Rob Swindells wrote:

Spring in Blighty brings the sun up just as I'm walking across Clifton
Down every morning. At this time the sun is a huge orange disc in the
sky. Is it safe to look at during this time?

Even if it didn't damage your eyes, the glare would be a very
bad thing traffic wise...

--
http://www.offshoreexecutive.com/ Offshore The Boss!

Old April 4th 04, 11:36 AM
John

"Offshore CEO" wrote
Spring in Blighty brings the sun up just as I'm walking across Clifton
Down every morning. At this time the sun is a huge orange disc in the
sky. Is it safe to look at during this time?

Even if it didn't damage your eyes, the glare would be a very
bad thing traffic wise...

The only time I've found it 'relatively safe' to look directly at the sun
was when the clouds were thick enough to make it look dimmer then the moon,
but not quite thick enough to obscure it completely. Even so I'd advise
making a habit of it. From a wide variety of things, I've lost significant
night-sight in the centre of my vision. Quite unfortunate at 25.

John

Old April 6th 04, 02:37 AM
Russell Wallace

wrote:

Spring in Blighty brings the sun up just as I'm walking across Clifton
Down every morning. At this time the sun is a huge orange disc in the
sky. Is it safe to look at during this time?

Maybe not. There could be enough infrared getting through to damage
your eyes even if it looks dim in visible light.

The best thing to do is: make sure you never do more than glance at
the sun for a moment, whatever the conditions. If you just glance at
it, you should be safe from permanent damage in the conditions you
describe.

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove

AIAA: "SAFE LAUNCHES FOR CEV" rk Space Shuttle 1 June 20th 04 06:44 PM
No safe haven at Hubble.... Blurrt Space Shuttle 20 May 10th 04 06:37 PM
Spirit has a mind of its own? Jon Berndt Space Shuttle 33 January 28th 04 04:48 AM
ISS Safe Haven John Doe Space Station 0 January 27th 04 09:47 AM
ISS Safe Haven? Explorer8939 Space Station 15 January 6th 04 10:25 PM