Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away

Old September 27th 04, 01:16 AM
Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)

On 26 Sep 2004 23:37:17 GMT, John Griffin
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message
:

"EvolBob" wrote:

Top-posted stuff moved to proper place. See below.

"Aratzio" wrote
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:11:25 -0800, "Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)"
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone
2 Intelligent life that has been around more than a million years
is aware of us.
3 Earth has been visited; I said Earth - not us!

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.

Like what, PROOF?

--------------------------------------

Like what, PROOF?

Exactly!

Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.

It's very likely that there are people who don't know that.

No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would
be no accidents.

It's very likely that there are people who do believe that. Maybe only
13 on the entire planet, but almost certainly not zero.

The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3
certain things I mentioned could not be true.

Proof in statistics?! I love new concepts. Tell me more!

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how
resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are
in the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply
stating the obvious.

That's borderline silly. We all have equal knowledge of life elsewhere in
the universe, i.e., none.

Obvious that it's impossible that Earth has not been visited? No.

Obvious that it's impossible that we are alone? No.

Obvious that it's impossible that entities from "out there" are aware of
us? ****, no. As a matter of fact, the probability is vanishingly
small. As a matter of fact, consider the SETI project. The scientists
are "listening" on what they think is the most logical narrow band of
wavelength. The critters they're looking for are probably doing the same,
but nothing on Earth is transmitting on that band. (I don't know that
for sure.) Furthermore, everything we have leaked into space will be
drowned in the sun's spectrum, and if not, it has only reached somewhere
around a couple of dozen stars.

Your concept of "certain" doesn't work.

I happen to believe there has been life somewhere in the universe
continuously for several billion years. Civilizations have flourished and
then perished with their stars, and not one of them has been able to
reach another star, any more than we can say we will have reached another
star if one of the Voyagers happens to get captured by one a few million
years from now. I'd bet that there's lots more non-sentient life than the
kind that evolves into a technological, or even civilized species.

Now for the serious stuff. HAARP is actually an interstellar
communications device, and it uses propietary technology developed by
Alaskans. It actually sends and receives by means other than the
relatively slow electromagnetic radiation we all know about. HAARP's
first identical twin is on a planet orbiting a star somewhere between 30
and 90 light years away. The actual distance and coordinates are a big
****in' secret. Since the first thing the Alaskans did when they
invented HAARP was to broadcast its blueprints, the ****in' things are
sprouting all over the galaxy.

Plus, it picks up HBO for free.
--
V.G.

Change pobox dot alaska to gci.
"I wanted a car I could run down pedestrians with. But one with a comfy ride, like a sofa on wheels." - Father Haskell

"No doubt about it, 9-11 was orchestrated by Lockheed." - *lexa 'connects the dots' 4/27/04 )

"Nope, Lockheed provided the cover for 9-11 due to abuses of it's system. They're guilty as charged. But ultimately it was Bechtel who concocted the
9-11 events." Alexa connects some totally different dots. 8/6/04 )

Sarcasm is my sword, Apathy is my shield.
Old September 27th 04, 09:47 AM
ÒJÓ

Paul Lawler wrote,
in post . 125.201 :
| "EvolBob" wrote in
| :
|
|Like what, PROOF?
|
| Exactly!
|
| Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.
| No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would
| be no accidents.
|
| "Everyone knows" is not proof. "Everyone knows" that green m&ms make you
| horny. "Everyone knows" that bad things happen in threes. Common
| knowledge is not a reliable indicator of fact.
|
| The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3
| certain things I mentioned could not be true.
|
| Sorry. Statistics attempting to demonstrate something "could not be true"
| are no proof that it is true.
|
| If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how
| resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are
| in the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply
| stating the obvious.
|
| Again incorrect. The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other life,
| since you can demonstrate NO evidence that it exists, other than your
| conjecture that there is a lot of space so other life "must" exist.
| Conjecture is not fact.

Proof? You are correct. There IS no definitive proof. And there is an
profound and readily apparent reason fot that- if you only reflect.
Intelligent Life ouside this nearly infinitely tiny region of the Universe
exists in abundance......extreme abundance. Millions of years ahead
of your species, and likewise millions lagging. The time for complete
and total exposure and introduction is fast approaching- before you
jesters completely destroy yourselves with your phoolish Pride and
pathetically unjustified Hubris. Prepare yourselves with a healthy
mind and body. There will be astonishing opportunities for the
meek and kindly. What have you done for your fellow earthlings
lately? Mostly a giver? Mostly a taker? The answers to these two
questions will be transparently apparent when the time comes.
Starting to feel guilty and frightened? GET TO WORK. IT IS NOT
TOO LATE.
Ù?Ú

Old September 27th 04, 09:51 AM
ÒJÓ

Paul Lawler wrote,
in post . 125.201 :
| "EvolBob" wrote in
| :
|
|Like what, PROOF?
|
| Exactly!
|
| Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.
| No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would
| be no accidents.
|
| "Everyone knows" is not proof. "Everyone knows" that green m&ms make you
| horny. "Everyone knows" that bad things happen in threes. Common
| knowledge is not a reliable indicator of fact.
|
| The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3
| certain things I mentioned could not be true.
|
| Sorry. Statistics attempting to demonstrate something "could not be true"
| are no proof that it is true.
|
| If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how
| resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are
| in the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply
| stating the obvious.
|
| Again incorrect. The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other life,
| since you can demonstrate NO evidence that it exists, other than your
| conjecture that there is a lot of space so other life "must" exist.
| Conjecture is not fact.

Proof? You are correct. There IS no definitive proof. And there is a
profound and readily apparent reason for that- if you only reflect.
Intelligent Life ouside this nearly extremely tiny region of the Universe
exists in abundance......extreme abundance. Millions of years ahead
of your species, and likewise millions lagging. The time for complete
and total exposure and introduction is fast approaching- before you
Jesters completely destroy yourselves with your Foolish Pride and

Old September 27th 04, 01:15 PM
Paul Lawler

"ÒJÓ" wrote:
Paul Lawler wrote,

| Again incorrect. The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other
| life, since you can demonstrate NO evidence that it exists, other
| than your conjecture that there is a lot of space so other life
| "must" exist. Conjecture is not fact.

Proof? You are correct. There IS no definitive proof. And there is an
profound and readily apparent reason fot that- if you only reflect.
Intelligent Life ouside this nearly infinitely tiny region of the
Universe exists in abundance......extreme abundance.

Evidence please? Otherwise you merely offer conjecture, which should be
more accurately rephrased as, "It is my personal opinion that life outside
this nearly infinintely tiny region of the universe exists in abundance."
Old September 29th 04, 08:19 AM
EvolBob

It is obvious to me.
What would be obvious to you Paul?

..The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other life, ...

If this is what you believe I'd love to hear your proof!

Regards
Robert

"Paul Lawler" wrote in message . 125.201...
"EvolBob" wrote in
:

[...]

---

Old September 29th 04, 08:29 AM
Etherized

The "chain" will never allow it.

I'ts just a New York Ride...
Mum's the World,
All abide.
Now, come, let's have fun.
The work's been done.
Been there, done that.
Here, an hors d'ouevre?
It's Mum's new oeuvre.
I helped, too.
Now, go find some klews for the news...

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old September 29th 04, 11:00 AM
John Griffin

****moved to where it belongs--at the bottom

=========End of article he pasted in=============

It is obvious to me.
What would be obvious to you Paul?

It's obvious that I can't speak for Paul, but I would say that you need
to either have an irrefutable argument or have the thing in question
right before your eyes before you can say it's obvious.

..The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other life, ...

If this is what you believe I'd love to hear your proof!

That's the funniest thing I've seen today.

Give us your "proof by statistics" that there's life elsewhere.

Outlook Express has an option that says something like "include original
article in followup." Another option says something like "String for
identifying quoted material." Please find them. OE also has the ability
to move your cursor to the logical place to add your followup. Check it
out.
Old September 29th 04, 10:15 PM
Paul Lawler

"EvolBob" wrote in
:

*top posting fixed*

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how
resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are
in the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply
stating the obvious.

Again incorrect. The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other
life, since you can demonstrate NO evidence that it exists, other than
your conjecture that there is a lot of space so other life "must"
exist. Conjecture is not fact.

It is obvious to me.
What would be obvious to you Paul?

..The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other life, ...

If this is what you believe I'd love to hear your proof!

I didn't say that is what I "believe." What I believe is irrelevant to what
I can prove. I cannot (and obviously neither can you) prove that there is
any life in the universe other than on Earth. Therefore the ONLY conclusion
possible is that life "may possibly" exist. The conclusion that life
"obviously" or "definitely" exists just because you think it should is
erroneous.

P.S. Asking me to give proof that something does not exist is a logical
fallacy.

P.P.S. Since we are both speaking English, I thought this might be helpful to
you. ob·vi·ous (adj.) Easily perceived or understood; quite apparent.
Old September 29th 04, 10:57 PM
edens morgan mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

P.S. Asking me to give proof that something does not exist is a logical
fallacy.

another idiot attempting to be logical

i hate to break it to you
but somethings can be proven not to exist
and this can be very important

you can start with the halting machine
and go on to things like invisible variables in quantum mechanics

arf meow arf
Old September 29th 04, 11:49 PM
Dan Bloomquist

edens morgan mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges wrote:
P.S. Asking me to give proof that something does not exist is a logical
fallacy.

another idiot attempting to be logical

i hate to break it to you
but somethings can be proven not to exist
and this can be very important

How would you do that?

you can start with the halting machine

Plugging a not back into itself is undefined Boolean logic, like, 'This
sentence is false'.

and go on to things like invisible variables in quantum mechanics

They are called hidden variables, and at that, if they don't exist, how
would you prove it? So far as I can tell, the need for their existence
is to satisfy human reasonability where 'spooky action at a distance'
may or may not even be occurring.

arf meow arf

Best, Dan.

--