Galaxy Season - Messier 98

Old June 4th 16, 01:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
SlurpieMcDoublegulp

Default Galaxy Season - Messier 98

https://www.buytelescopes.com/conten...e_m98-deep.jpg

M98 surrounded by many faint galaxies. I can see M98 in a 7" scope but the fainter ones in this image are lost in the heavy light pollution at my observatory location (nearby commercial and industrial area is heavily lit up at night)

The image was taken with my 175EDF refractor over two nights. It consists of 30 x 600 sec subs, camera is my trusty QSI683WSG.

Unfortunately I have no color data. Window of opportunity has closed for the next few days. I have identified some of the faint galaxies down to mag 19.

Old June 4th 16, 08:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Norbert[_4_]

Le 04/06/2016 Ã* 02:20, SlurpieMcDoublegulp a écrit :
https://www.buytelescopes.com/conten...e_m98-deep.jpg

M98 surrounded by many faint galaxies. I can see M98 in a 7" scope but the fainter ones in this image are lost in the heavy light pollution at my observatory location (nearby commercial and industrial area is heavily lit up at night)

The image was taken with my 175EDF refractor over two nights. It consists of 30 x 600 sec subs, camera is my trusty QSI683WSG.

Unfortunately I have no color data. Window of opportunity has closed for the next few days. I have identified some of the faint galaxies down to mag 19.

Nice shot.
Thanks for sharing !

--
Norbert.
======================================
Old June 4th 16, 05:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
SlurpieMcDoublegulp

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 2:16:10 AM UTC-5, Norbert wrote:
[...]

You are welcome ;^))
Old June 4th 16, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

A beautiful view it is! Your M98 image shows greater detail than most of the old M31 photos that I grew up with. Considering all the planets that must reside within M98 - and the humongous number in the background galaxies - I wonder how much life is encompassed within that image . . .

Too bad about all that light pollution. Hasn't technology reached the point yet where security cameras can do their work in non-visible regions of the spectrum? We all deserve to see the night sky without light pollution.

Sketcher

Old June 4th 16, 10:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
SlurpieMcDoublegulp

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 3:22:40 PM UTC-5, Sketcher wrote:
[...]

Interesting idea to use security cameras. In my area unfortunately we have many all-night gas stations and several miles of big-box stores which light up their parking lots to extreme brightness levels. They do not turn them off when the stores are closed, probably out of fear of lawsuits should someone accidentally trip and hurt themselves. The lights are on tall poles and can be seen for miles.

Old June 7th 16, 02:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 5:20:58 PM UTC-7, SlurpieMcDoublegulp wrote:
https://www.buytelescopes.com/conten...e_m98-deep.jpg

M98 surrounded by many faint galaxies. I can see M98 in a 7" scope but the fainter ones in this image are lost in the heavy light pollution at my observatory location (nearby commercial and industrial area is heavily lit up at night)

The image was taken with my 175EDF refractor over two nights. It consists of 30 x 600 sec subs, camera is my trusty QSI683WSG.

Unfortunately I have no color data. Window of opportunity has closed for the next few days. I have identified some of the faint galaxies down to mag 19.

Always a treat to see your photos, keep them coming!

Easter season oriel36[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 March 6th 08 05:56 PM
In the middle of the 3rd season Wes Struebing Amateur Astronomy 0 December 25th 07 09:10 PM
Silly Season Albert[_3_] UK Astronomy 0 August 5th 07 03:16 PM
First of the season... Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 5 August 4th 05 07:11 PM
Season's Greetings Mike Boschat Amateur Astronomy 1 December 24th 04 04:49 PM