chi squared testing

Old January 16th 06, 10:24 PM posted to sci.physics.research, sci.astro.research

Default chi squared testing

[Moderator's note: Charles, please contact me via email. -P.H.]

Bob Day has been running a chi^2 test, reported on s.a.r., on a
magnitude-redshift relation in different cosmological models using data
from the Supernova Legacy Survey.

The results for 115 data points a

Standard flat space model:
optimum Omega_m = 0.263, chi-square = 113.5679

teleconnection flat space model, optimum Omega_m = 1.06, chi-square =
115.2288

teleconnection Lambda=0 model, optimum Omega_m = 1.11, chi-square =
114.8858

It is a long time since I studied this kind of thing, but it seems to me
that all of these results qualify as "perfect fits". Now I would like to
put error margins on Omega_m. Can anyone tell me what value of chi-
square we should use?

Regards

--
Charles Francis