X-37 technology demonstrator completes structural tests

Old July 27th 03, 08:04 AM
Joseph S. Powell, III

Default X-37 technology demonstrator completes structural tests

That thing's fringgin' TINY......I think you'd have more space in the X-20
Dyna Soar, lol!
Of course, it would have taken a Titan 3 to launch the X-20, and the X-37
just needs a Delta 3......
Is this really progress, or does it seem in many ways we're going BACKWARDS
in manned spaceflight?

"Jacques van Oene" wrote in message
Dave Drachlis
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
(Phone: 256/544-0034)

RELEASE: 03-126

X-37 TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATOR COMPLETES STRUCTURAL TESTS IN PREPARATION FOR
ATMOSPHERIC FLIGHT TEST PROGRAM

An approach and landing test version of the X-37, a spacecraft designed to
demonstrate technologies for NASA's Orbital Space Plane Program,
successfully completed structural testing in Huntington Beach, Calif.

The series of ground-based, proof tests are intended to verify the
structural integrity of the X-37 Approach and Landing Test Vehicle. The
tests apply pressure to the vehicle, simulating flight stresses and loads
the X-37 may encounter in flight.

"An initial review of the test data indicates that the vehicle performed

as
expected, and we are very pleased," said Dan Dumbacher, X-37 project

manager
at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. "Following a
detailed analysis of the results the X-37 Atmospheric Vehicle will be
returned to its assembly facility in Palmdale, Calif., for preparation for
atmospheric flight testing."

"We are proud of the government and Boeing X-37 team for meeting the
challenge and aggressively moving toward flight testing of the Approach

and
Landing Test Vehicle," said Dumbacher.

The Approach and Landing Test Vehicle is one of two vehicles that comprise
the X-37 Advanced Technology Flight Demonstrator Project. An orbital

version
of the vehicle is being developed to test and validate technologies in the
environment of space and will test vehicle system performance during

orbital
flight, reentry and landing. Technologies to be demonstrated include

thermal
protection systems; autonomous advanced guidance, navigation and control
systems; high temperature structures; conformal reusable insulation; and
high temperature seals. Both vehicles are developed by Boeing Expendable
Launch Systems of Huntington Beach, Calif.

Atmospheric flight tests of the Approach and Landing Test Vehicle are
scheduled for 2004 and flight tests of the Orbital Vehicle are scheduled

for
2006.

Flight demonstrators like the X-37 have a critical role in validating
technologies that cannot be demonstrated on the ground. NASA is pursuing
these and other space launch technologies that will enable the Agency to
achieve its goal of establishing safe, reliable and affordable access to
space.

For more information, visit:

http://www.ospnews.com

-end-

Below are links to this news release on our Web site and also to related
photos.

The Web

News release
http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/n...03/03-126.html

Photos
http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/news/photos/2003/photos03-126.html

For releases sent directly to you, contact:

Marshall Space Flight Center
Media Relations Department
(256) 544-0034
(256) 544-5852 (fax)

----

Jacques :-)

Editor:
www.spacepatches.info

Old July 27th 03, 03:53 PM
Joann Evans

"Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote:

That thing's fringgin' TINY......I think you'd have more space in the X-20
Dyna Soar, lol!
Of course, it would have taken a Titan 3 to launch the X-20, and the X-37
just needs a Delta 3......
Is this really progress, or does it seem in many ways we're going BACKWARDS
in manned spaceflight?

It *is* a test vehicle, after all. Wind tunnel models of the 747
didn't have to be 1:1 scale, either. Neither was X-33 as large as
VentureStar. They just have to be large enough to be developmentally
realistic.

And even as a final size, it doesn't have to be manned. Think of the
end result as an orbital, reusable RPV. If you don't need Hubble-sized
optics, all sorts of spooky stuff can be put in a fairly small volume.
Espically when you expect to get it back (which means you can use hi-res
film, and plan to physically sample stuff), and if necessary, modify it
for re-flight.