Andromeda Galaxy or US (What if)

Old June 5th 06, 07:55 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Default Andromeda Galaxy or US (What if)

To All a question. Does Ardomeda turn when hitting the Milky way turn
in the same direction? That has lots of significants TreBert

Old June 6th 06, 01:26 AM posted to alt.astronomy

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
To All a question. Does Ardomeda turn when hitting the Milky way turn
in the same direction? That has lots of significants TreBert

"The galaxy is inclined an estimated 77° relative to the Earth (where
an angle of 90° would be viewed directly from the side.) Analysis of
the cross-sectional shape of the galaxy appears to demonstrate a
pronounced, S-shaped warp, rather than just a flat disk.[19] A possible
cause of such a warp could be gravitational interaction with the
satellite galaxies near M31.

Spectroscopic studies have provided detailed measurements of the
rotational velocity of this galaxy at various radii from the core. In
the vicinity of the core, the rotational velocity climbs to a peak of
225 kilometres per second (140 miles/sec.) at a radius of 1,300 light
years, then descends to a minimum at 7,000 light years where the
rotation velocity may be as low as 50 kilometres per second (31
miles/sec.). Thereafter the velocity steadily climbs again out to a
radius of 33,000 light years, where it reaches a peak of 250 kilometres
per second (155 miles/sec.). The velocities slowly decline beyond that
distance, dropping to around 200 kilometres per second (124 miles/hr.)
at 80,000 light years. These velocity measurements infer a concentrated
mass of about 6 × 109 M☉ in the nucleus. The total mass of the
galaxy increases linearly out to 45,000 light years, then more slowly
beyond that radius.[20]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_Galaxy

Double-A

Old June 6th 06, 02:37 AM posted to alt.astronomy

Double-A wrote:
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
To All a question. Does Ardomeda turn when hitting the Milky way turn
in the same direction? That has lots of significants TreBert

The total mass of the galaxy increases linearly out to 45,000 light years, then more slowly beyond that radius.[20]"

Is this linear increase of mass a common thing?
If so, I assume there is a good reason for it ... ???

Cordially,

RL

Old June 6th 06, 10:32 AM posted to alt.astronomy

Double-A WOW great information,on something that is 2 million LY away.
My "Spin is in theory" should show that a dense fast spinning object has
an influence over other objects at a distance. Much like two pendulum
bobs will line up their swings. Motion and gravity are equivalent,and I
use spin for attraction for both gravitational force and magnetic force.
Spinning in the same direction gives attraction. Spinning in the
opposite direction gives repulsion. This is an easy experiment when
using spinning tops.(that naturally is relative to each other.) TreBert

Old June 6th 06, 02:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Double-A WOW great information,on something that is 2 million LY away.
My "Spin is in theory" should show that a dense fast spinning object has
an influence over other objects at a distance. Much like two pendulum
bobs will line up their swings. Motion and gravity are equivalent,and I
use spin for attraction for both gravitational force and magnetic force.
Spinning in the same direction gives attraction. Spinning in the
opposite direction gives repulsion. This is an easy experiment when
using spinning tops.(that naturally is relative to each other.) TreBert

I still don't know the direction of Andromeda's rotation, nor the
orientation of its disk relative to the Milky Way. Pictures show
different orientations, and some of them are reverse image. If one
were to just look at Andromeda with one's own telescope, it should be
easy to see how it is oriented in the sky, and then compare that to the
northeast to southwest band of glow of the Milky Way. The direction
and orientation of the two galaxies' rotations would certainly make a
differenct to the outcome of a collision.

Did you know that the Milky Way is already colliding with a several of
smaller galaxies?

"Like other galaxies, the Milky Way is growing by absorbing small
satellite galaxies. It is currently merging with the Large and Small
Magellanic Clouds, a process that will be completed in about 100
million years. In 2003 a previously unknown galaxy was found to be
colliding with the Milky Way. Its distinctive red stars are slowly
being pulled into the Milky Way, and the dwarf will soon lose all its
structure. Called the Canis Major dwarf galaxy after the constellation
in which it lies, it is about 25,000 light years away from the solar
system and 42,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way. This is
closer than the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy, discovered in 1994, which is
also colliding with the Milky Way. Several other galaxies are also,
apparently, on a collision course with the Milky Way. The biggest and
most spectacular collision will be with the Andromeda Galaxy. In about
2 billion years, massive tidal gravitational effects will tear spiral
arms apart and start to shred the pinwheels from the outside in. The
result will be an elliptical rather than a spiral Milky Way." Double-A

Double-A

Old June 6th 06, 02:35 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Raving Loonie wrote:
Double-A wrote:
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
To All a question. Does Ardomeda turn when hitting the Milky way turn
in the same direction? That has lots of significants TreBert

The total mass of the galaxy increases linearly out to 45,000 light years, then more slowly beyond that radius.[20]"

Is this linear increase of mass a common thing?
If so, I assume there is a good reason for it ... ???

Cordially,

RL

Well, astronomers can't see enough stars to account for all the mass
indicated by the speed of rotation in parts of galaxies, so they have
filled in the blanks with "dark matter".

Double-A

Old June 6th 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
[...]

http://www.bartleby.com/65/mi/MilkyWay.html

Plagiarism isn't very nice Double-A.

Double-A

Old June 6th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.astronomy

John Zinni wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
[...]

Cone on, John. If I left out the source it was inadvertent. I always
try to cite my source, but sometimes I slip up.

Double-A

Old June 6th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"Double-A" wrote in message
ps.com...

Cone on, John. If I left out the source it was inadvertent. I always
try to cite my source, but sometimes I slip up.

Double-A

Sorry but it really looked like you were attributing the quote to yourself.

From your post ...

result will be an elliptical rather than a spiral Milky Way." Double-A

Double-A

Note the attribution at the end of the quote.

Old June 6th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Zinni wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
ps.com...

Cone on, John. If I left out the source it was inadvertent. I always
try to cite my source, but sometimes I slip up.

Double-A

Sorry but it really looked like you were attributing the quote to
yourself.

From your post ...

result will be an elliptical rather than a spiral Milky Way." Double-A

Double-A

Note the attribution at the end of the quote.

I see how it came out. I'm not sure how I did it, but it was
unintentional.

Google doesn't automatically put a sig on my posts, so I have to sign
my posts manually. Sometimes I mistype. I'm sorry if anyone else was
misled.

Double-A

For the record ... I disagree with your opinions at times but I know you to
be consciences.