Transporter/crawler question

Old February 26th 11, 04:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default Transporter/crawler question

Does the shuttle, and years ago, the Saturn V's launch right off the
transporter/crawler? I can't imagine some sort of transfer being made at the pad
of the spacecraft. But if so, how have these things withstood almost 50 years of
the heat generated at launch? And are all the clamps and things that you see
around the base of the craft installed for each flight? I was looking at a
picture of the crawler earlier and it's just a flat surface when it's empty.
Very curious about it. Thanks.
Old February 26th 11, 06:43 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 00:14:19 -0500, JF Mezei

Does the shuttle, and years ago, the Saturn V's launch right off the
transporter/crawler?

Yep.

No.

Brian
Old February 26th 11, 09:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

bracht volgend idée uit :
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:18:57 -0500,
wrote:

Does the shuttle, and years ago, the Saturn V's launch right off the
transporter/crawler? I can't imagine some sort of transfer being made at the
pad of the spacecraft. But if so, how have these things withstood almost 50
years of the heat generated at launch? And are all the clamps and things
that you see around the base of the craft installed for each flight? I was
looking at a picture of the crawler earlier and it's just a flat surface
when it's empty. Very curious about it. Thanks.

Okay, I Googles and found picture of the mobile launch platform. That is one
massive assembly. So the transporter raises and lowers (probably
hydraulically) the launch platform? What an operation! One last question.
When I watch a launch, just before ignition, what are all those sparks that
fly around the base of the engines? Thanks again for all the help. I'm just a
retired guy with time on his hands to ask questions :-)

The shuttle main enginse do not have ignitors them selves, those sparks
are ignitors mounted on the MLP itself.
(If a main eninge shuts down for whatever reason during liftoff, it
will not re-ignite. This happened once during the shuttle program)

Old February 26th 11, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

wrote:

[...]

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The SSMEs do have ignitors.

The spark ignitors on the MLP are used to burn off any excess hydrogen
that may be floating around the back of the vehicle prior to SSME ignition.
Old February 26th 11, 11:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Okay, I don't know chemistry or physics, bit if there's hydrogen collecting
around the main engines and it gets ignited by these sparks, wouldn't it
explode. I mean, obviously not or they wouldn't do this, but how do the sparks
get rid of it?