Why not "Combat" Model Rocketry?

Old September 17th 09, 04:22 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
jonathan[_6_]

Default Why not "Combat" Model Rocketry?

Back in fifth grade or so, a buddy and I use to be into
model rockets. Well one day, while searching my older
brother's room for his playboys, we found instead a
great big box of cherry bombs. And with great delight
we stole a big handful of them. Then built a bunch of
rocket/bombs by simply gluing fins and a launch tube
directly to the Estes rocket motor and taping the cherry
bomb to the top. And let the ejection charge light the fuse.

We soon realized what fun it would be for us to go to the
opposite sides of the field and see who could come closest
to hitting the other with our little rocket bombs. It was
a blast!

By the time our parents were alerted, we were getting the
range down to about fifty feet or so, enough to make it
exciting. I wonder, how could we turn that into a sport?

Jonathan

Old September 17th 09, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
David Spain

"jonathan" writes:

I wonder, how could we turn that into a sport?

I dunno, but I may have found you a sponsor:

http://www.aopanet.org/

Dave
Old September 17th 09, 01:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Jeff Findley

"jonathan" wrote in message

Back in fifth grade or so, a buddy and I use to be into
model rockets. Well one day, while searching my older
brother's room for his playboys, we found instead a
great big box of cherry bombs. And with great delight
we stole a big handful of them. Then built a bunch of
rocket/bombs by simply gluing fins and a launch tube
directly to the Estes rocket motor and taping the cherry
bomb to the top. And let the ejection charge light the fuse.

We soon realized what fun it would be for us to go to the
opposite sides of the field and see who could come closest
to hitting the other with our little rocket bombs. It was
a blast!

By the time our parents were alerted, we were getting the
range down to about fifty feet or so, enough to make it
exciting. I wonder, how could we turn that into a sport?

I'm not sure how many NAR rules you're violating here. Beyond that, you may
have been violating one or more laws...

File this one under stupid things that almost got you killed as a kid and
don't mention it again.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old September 18th 09, 01:54 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
jonathan[_6_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

I'm not sure how many NAR rules you're violating here. Beyond that, you may
have been violating one or more laws...

Oh we had the safety issues handled, you bet!

His folks were loaded, and had a great big back yard with a field
surrounded by woods. All the night launches were from there.

With the strategy being that the higher they went up, the less likely
anyone would figure out where they came from. A cherry bomb on
top of a C6-5 makes a rather nice red fireball and bang at night.
We quickly learned however, like during the first launch, that it's
a very good idea to shorten the fuse on the cherry bomb as much
as possible. Out of concern for the neighbors of course.

File this one under stupid things that almost got you killed as a kid and
don't mention it again.

I was the sane one, after we used up the cherry bombs, he started
emptying out a half dozen rocket motors or so, putting all the fuel
into a plastic bag and stuff it on top of the ejection charge.
He'd launch 'em like it was the Fourth of July.

One day he came over with his greatest creation to date.
The fuel from twenty motors stuffed on top of a two stage
rocket, and he wanted to launch it from my folks back yard
...of course.Which was normal sized, not like his.

I chickened out and suggested he just light the bag off
on the ground, to be..eh hum..safe. So when he was ready
to light the fuse, I walked over and peered just over his right
shoulder, and he said something about not having enough fuse
and was using a sparkler instead. I distinctly remember asking myself...
"he's gonna use a sparkler for what?" ....AND BANG!!!

Just as soon as he lit the sparkler it went off in his face.
A nice 6 foot fireball I would guess, enough so we were
inside of it, I know that for sure. Left nice burn marks
outlining his geeky glasses, and his v-neck shirt, and I only
lost the right side of my hair, due to my cautiously peeking
over his shoulder.

Jeff

Old September 18th 09, 02:14 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

David Spain wrote:

"jonathan" writes:
*I wonder, how could we turn that into a sport?

I dunno, but I may have found you a sponsor:

http://www.aopanet.org/

Wear Kevlar clothing and a full helmet ?

Old September 18th 09, 03:17 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Jim[_23_]

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
David Spain wrote:
"jonathan" writes:
I wonder, how could we turn that into a sport?

I dunno, but I may have found you a sponsor:

http://www.aopanet.org/

Wear Kevlar clothing and a full helmet ?

Sounds like a Kevlar straight jacket might be appropriate
Old September 18th 09, 04:51 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Joe Pfeiffer

Trollin' trollin' trollin'
Old September 18th 09, 06:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
jonathan[_6_]

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
Trollin' trollin' trollin'

More like reminiscing, didn't everyone like blowing things up
when they were kids?

Old September 18th 09, 06:06 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Polyp

"jonathan" wrote in message

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
Trollin' trollin' trollin'

More like reminiscing, didn't everyone like blowing things up
when they were kids?

--

Which is why Mythbusters is so popular with kids & older kids alike.

Old September 18th 09, 06:46 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
Pat Flannery

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
Wear Kevlar clothing and a full helmet ?

I never did shoot one at anyone or anything, but I have to 'fess up to
putting a explosive impact-fused warhead on a model rocket to try out
the detonation system for bombs to be carried on a large RC aircraft at
a fly-in.
....worked like a charm. :-)
Unfortunately, the actual bombs had such a good aerodynamic form that
they would sail hundreds of feet forward from the drop point, and were
almost impossible to accurately aim at a target on the ground.
Really needed a RC dive bomber for this concept to work, although I did
get production cost down to around twenty-five cents per bomb circa 1976.

Pat