No really new idea for Obama

Old February 6th 10, 03:16 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
jonathan

Default No really new idea for Obama

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
news
If President Obama wants truly new and unique ideas for what he calls
a 21st century space program, he has one problem:

There aren't any.

In fact, I can't think of anything we could do in space

This sentence sums up nicely the basic problem with space policy
since Apollo. The question always being asked is the problem, which
is "what to ...do... in space?"

The question should be, "what's the greatest global problems that
could be....solved....using space?" If you're looking for justifications
and relevance.

The logical goal for NASA directly follows.
It's called going back to the future. Back to
the goal forming just before Bush and 9/11
blew it away.

SERT
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10202&page=1

Old February 6th 10, 04:22 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Feb 5, 6:16*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

news
If President Obama wants truly new and unique ideas for what he calls
a 21st century space program, he has one problem:

There aren't any.

In fact, I can't think of anything we could do in space

This sentence sums up nicely the basic problem with space policy
since Apollo. The question always being asked is the problem, which
is "what to ...do... in space?"

The question should be, "what's the greatest global problems that
could be....solved....using space?" If you're looking for justifications
and relevance.

The logical goal for NASA directly follows.
It's called going back to the future. Back to
the goal forming just before Bush and 9/11
blew it away.

SERThttp://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10202&page=1

You'd have to go back to something before the Apollo area and our
mutually perpetrated cold-war ruse.

~ BG
Old February 7th 10, 02:15 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
jonathan

"BradGuth" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 6:16 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:

The logical goal for NASA directly follows.
It's called going back to the future. Back to
the goal forming just before Bush and 9/11
blew it away.

SERThttp://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10202&page=1

You'd have to go back to something before the Apollo area and our
mutually perpetrated cold-war ruse.

~ BG

As long as it's anything other than repeating that long cold war
again, by starting another one with the Chinese. Even if we
are going back to the Moon for civilian purposes, the
Chinese won't believe, they'll be forced to outspend us
in the military and start a new massive arms race
all over again.

The problem is that we can't win a military spending race with
the Chinese for much longer, they are already spending
almost as much as we are in real terms. But a dictatorship
can't win an economic competition with a free market
democracy. So we need to continue to limit our competition
with the Chinese to the economic realm.

Bush started a huge escalation with the 'Vision', with going back
to the Moon, forcing China to respond in kind. Hopefully we'll
here China walk away from the Moon shot too before long.

Obama G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 8 November 11th 09 02:32 AM
...WHY OBAMA WILL WIN.....78% of Americans believe... jonathan[_3_] Policy 11 October 24th 08 03:42 AM
*own* obama mother NOT WELCOME - 'Skunk' says obama preacher [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 March 24th 08 08:56 PM
I've UPDATED my first idea to CUT the Orion's mass and ADDED my SECOND idea in the same page gaetanomarano Policy 1 July 3rd 07 03:33 PM