Mars eats methane?

Old August 6th 09, 08:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Mars eats methane?

And apparently very quickly also:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-for-life.html

Pat
Old August 6th 09, 10:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

Does that mean freeze-dried brocolli with pork and beans is
back on the Mars expedition menu?

:-P
Old August 6th 09, 10:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
kT

David Spain wrote:

Does that mean freeze-dried brocolli with pork and beans is
back on the Mars expedition menu?

Sure, if you can grow them in frozen dirt soup with a light seasoning of
nickel iron meteorites. Good luck with that. Mars. Duh. Ceres or bust.

:-P

Old August 7th 09, 12:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jonathan

"kT" wrote in message
David Spain wrote:

Does that mean freeze-dried brocolli with pork and beans is
back on the Mars expedition menu?

Sure, if you can grow them in frozen dirt soup with a light seasoning of
nickel iron meteorites. Good luck with that. Mars. Duh. Ceres or bust.

All that article said was that there must be a very active source of
underground methane which is being efficiently broken down by the
highly oxidized soil it's bubbling up through. That all points to currently
existing underground water/hot springs in those areas. It's efficiency
even hints at a system which has adapted over time.

How they can conclude that makes life more difficult is beyond me.

:-P

Old August 7th 09, 12:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
kT

Jonathan wrote:
"kT" wrote in message
David Spain wrote:

Does that mean freeze-dried brocolli with pork and beans is
back on the Mars expedition menu?

Sure, if you can grow them in frozen dirt soup with a light seasoning of
nickel iron meteorites. Good luck with that. Mars. Duh. Ceres or bust.

All that article said was that there must be a very active source of
underground methane which is being efficiently broken down by the
highly oxidized soil it's bubbling up through. That all points to currently
existing underground water/hot springs in those areas. It's efficiency
even hints at a system which has adapted over time.

How they can conclude that makes life more difficult is beyond me.

I see a lot of this kind of stuff in the glossy peer review process.

And then they publish exaggerated press releases about these results.
Old August 7th 09, 02:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
Does that mean freeze-dried brocolli with pork and beans is
back on the Mars expedition menu?

Seriously, if this whole finding pans out, it's downright strange (like
just about everything else on Mars appears to be) as the two
explanations for finding methane on Mars were some sort of
seismic/volcanic activity or life processes found in something like
bacteria.
If the methane is vanishing that quickly, then it needs to be
replenished in large amounts, and that greatly increases the problem of
explaining where it's coming from.

Pat
Old August 7th 09, 02:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

OM wrote:
...On the other hand, I can see it now, courtesy of my ATL-vision:

I was thinking more along the lines of the campfire scene from
'Blazing Saddles', but I don't know how to make that work with
space suits....

:-)

Dave
Old August 8th 09, 02:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
kT

Default Robert Mosley III's Culture of Violence

Robert Mosley III of Austin, Texas USA wrote:

Quoting Robert Mosley III of Austin, Texas USA from the headers :

Is this a relative of yours?

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/aug/...wnloaded-chil/

Are you retarded Christian American conservative republican fascists
still pushing your culture of hate and violence on the American people?

http://forums.cannabisculture.com/fo...Number=1563295

Quoting Robert Mosley III of Austin, Texas USA (aka : Elfritz Non Grata)

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00126.html

All of your posts are archived, Mosley.
Old August 10th 09, 05:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
American

Default Robert Mosley III - American Teabagger

Oh I see, so the Federal Reserve is NOT monetizing the debt,
and most or all Americans are therefore guilty of perjury on
the bureaucracy’s behalf?

RRRRRIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTT

Am I as dumb as an ass or do we have imbeciles at large
running our Congress as well as Senate?

There’s your HUCKLEBERRY, Elfritz.

Be reasonable – you blamed Bush (and still do) – now
you can blame anyone that’s not 100% pure
mule-team Marxist?

I assume that you HAVE HEARD about brown shirts,
gulags, state-run media, and complete dictatorship?

If the saying goes that “you buy time by NOT using
your time to spend money”, then the Federal Reserve
has lent more TIME TO PAY BACK TRILLIONS
than U.S. citizens could possibly afford – even in
the long term.

Gerbels said (that) Germany lost the war basically,
because progressives in the United States understood
what propaganda was, and used it to their own advantage.

Whereas Woodrow Wilson used things like “Uncle Sam”,
the flag, patriotism, and military bands to ramp up
progressivism in this country, Obama, the demicans, and
the republicrats are trying to force the “collective”,
“common good”, “global society”, and New World
Order down our throats with things like mandated health
care, and HR 2479 (Agricultural Safety Act of 2009)
that includes non-commercial and subsistance farms:
Power to Quarantine a Geographic Area; the FDA can
also Halt All Movement of All Food in a geographic area.
* Warrantless Searches of Business Records.

* Establishing a Tracing System for Food.
* Severe Criminal and Civil Penalties.
* Annual Registration Fee ($500 for 2010).

Reference:

http://www.localharvest.org/blog/30258/entry/hr_2479

HR 3247, Social and Behavioral Research Czar (???)
* Govt Parenting Classes, and Section 401
provides the IRS with the authority to levy a
2.5 percent tax on your gross yearly wages if you
dont have "acceptable health coverage"

Reference:
http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/6...vior-czar.html

American

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”
- anonymous
Old August 11th 09, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Aug 10, 12:44*pm, American wrote:
[...]

You sound like someone that thinks free enterprize can fix anything.
There is corporate kool-aid, too. Don't drink it!

* Establishing a Tracing System for Food.
* Severe Criminal and Civil Penalties.
* Annual Registration Fee ($500 for 2010).

Reference:

http://www.localharvest.org/blog/30258/entry/hr_2479

HR 3247, Social and Behavioral Research Czar (???)
* Govt Parenting Classes, and Section 401
provides the IRS with the authority to levy a
2.5 percent tax on your gross yearly wages if you
dont have "acceptable health coverage"

Reference:http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/6...orm-bill-will-...

American

I trust the government as much as I trust corporations. Either way,
they can be voted out or I can buy the competitor's product. You seem
to feel comfort in centralizing your boogey-man as the govt.

Eric